Extraction concern agrees to huge settlement over oil spill/s

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
BBC News - Shell agrees 84m deal over Niger Delta oil spill

_80099293_024973534-1.jpg

Lawyers for 15,600 Nigerian fishermen say their clients will receive $3,300 each for losses caused by the spills.

The remaining $30m will be left for the community, which law firm Leigh Day says was "devastated by the two massive oil spills in 2008 and 2009".

These were among the biggest spills in decades of oil exploration in Nigeria.

Thousands of hectares of mangrove were affected in the southern Ogoniland region.

discuss...

The whole thing could be avoided if Shell got the F*ck out of there. I really don't think, if the people of that area were given a vote, that they would even want them there.

. . . If we want to talk about, "private sector." This is a colonial operation. If the people DID kick this company out, you can bet M16, the CIA and Mossad would have the national government overthrown quicker than you can say oil profits.

The damages given to the locals is a drop in the bucket compared to the profits Shell makes. And don't think that $30 million will do any good for the community, it will go to corrupt local ruling elites to make sure that business stays the same as it ever was.

The whole thing could be avoided if Shell got the F*ck out of there. I really don't think, if the people of that area were given a vote, that they would even want them there.

. . . If we want to talk about, "private sector." This is a colonial operation. If the people DID kick this company out, you can bet M16, the CIA and Mossad would have the national government overthrown quicker than you can say oil profits.

The damages given to the locals is a drop in the bucket compared to the profits Shell makes. And don't think that $30 million will do any good for the community, it will go to corrupt local ruling elites to make sure that business stays the same as it ever was.
agree w/ a lot of that. Hope the remaining 30m is in a supervised trust for land revitalization IF thats possible.

BBC News - Shell agrees 84m deal over Niger Delta oil spill
The two spills came from the same pipe on the Trans Niger Pipeline, operated by Shell, which takes oil from its fields to the export terminal at Bonny on the coast. It carries about 180,000 barrels of oil per day.

"From the outset, we've accepted responsibility for the two deeply regrettable operational spills in Bodo," its managing director Mutiu Sunmonu said. Shell says that both spills were caused by operational failure of the pipelines.

"Trans"? "Pipelines"? Where have I heard those terms before? :eusa_think: CrusaderFrank Toro tinydancer :eusa_whistle:

BBC News - Nigeria s booming illegal oil refineries

The problem for the Nigerian people is their govt not the oil companies. This article shows how the Nigerian people don't really care that much about oil pollution because they keep doing it to themselves. Survival is taking precedence over health. I have no doubt there is some collusion between the govt and oil companies but I suspect if the govt wanted to straighten things up the oil companies would be excellent allies. That a corrupt government does not want to take the wealth and improve the lot of the people is not the oil companies fault and at this point it would probably be better for the people and the environment if the country was run as a colonial fiefdom.

Well, well, well......looksie wooksie who showed up in my thread: Mr. Extraction Industry shill hisself :up: Mr. H

BBC News - Nigeria s booming illegal oil refineries

The problem for the Nigerian people is their govt not the oil companies. This article shows how the Nigerian people don't really care that much about oil pollution because they keep doing it to themselves. Survival is taking precedence over health. I have no doubt there is some collusion between the govt and oil companies but I suspect if the govt wanted to straighten things up the oil companies would be excellent allies. That a corrupt government does not want to take the wealth and improve the lot of the people is not the oil companies fault and at this point it would probably be better for the people and the environment if the country was run as a colonial fiefdom.
You KNOW the companies (Brit & Yank) are bribing the local higher ups like they have been for centuries to turn a blind eye to their environmental devastation to make a buck .

No I don't know that the oil companies are bribing to pollute. That assumes the political leaders are good guys who are being overwhelmed by the oil companies. That is certainly not true. Corrupt politicians are telling the oil companies if you want to play you are going to have to pay. They are the ones running the show. As I have suggested, the oil,companies would much prefer to deal with a stable and predictable govt instead of criminal enterprise but some here are blind to the corruption when you can blame a multinational oil,company. Try reading the posted link to learn where the bulk of pollution is coming from.

No I don't know that the oil companies are bribing to pollute. That assumes the political leaders are good guys who are being overwhelmed by the oil companies. That is certainly not true. Corrupt politicians are telling the oil companies if you want to play you are going to have to pay. They are the ones running the show. As I have suggested, the oil,companies would much prefer to deal with a stable and predictable govt instead of criminal enterprise but some here are blind to the corruption when you can blame a multinational oil,company. Try reading the posted link to learn where the bulk of pollution is coming from.
link?
wait.gif

holy crap, you're asking them to read? I better bail out of the forum so I don't get blown up.

Forum List

Back