🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fair Wage Pizza Parlor- Couldn't Earn A Profit- Closing

I managed a pizza joint. There is no way we could have survived paying wages like that. Not without charging a shitload more

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe

Free Market Discipline and Price Discovery is undefeated leftists.

There is no free market, there never has been, and never will be.

Competition Based Market Discipline and Price Discovery is undefeated leftists.

Nice deception. Again; There is no free market, there never has been, and never will be.

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe

Nice deception. Again; There is no free market, there never has been, and never will be.

As a far left drone you have proven you do not understand what a free market is, just goes to prove the far left only knows key words and does not understand those words.

Thousands of stores that were not fair wage stores closed too. I guess paying shitty wages is not the answer to all problems as republicans claim.

These major retailers have closed more than 5,000 stores in 2017

Dude...it's a pizza parlor. Bearno's in Louisville can get $30 for a pie...because it is awesome...but you can't sell PizzaHut quality pizza for more than PizzaHut and stay in business.

And I have never paid menu price for a PizzaHut quality pizza in my life.

If you mandated a "living wage" at PizzaHut...it would go out of business. The UBER driver would deliver cold pizzas from Wal-Mart, and folks would heat them up themselves...because Wal-Mart can afford to absorb than increase in labor costs spread across 10,000 products...PizzaHut cannot.

P.S. --- Now THAT'S a pizza...

Screenshot_20171026-193137_crop_1280x760.jpg

Specials - Bearno's Pizza

Last edited:
I managed a pizza joint. There is no way we could have survived paying wages like that. Not without charging a shitload more

Yea but if you made a great product, great marketing they would come.

Not necessarily true, there needs to be a real/perceived need for said product!

Yea but you get my drift...the owners can pay what ever the wage is , as long as you have business skills ..

Naw man.
Dominoes sells large one toppings for 8 bucks. That pizza probably only costs 2 bucks, if not a little less. You also have a high overhead and a lot of downtime.
It isn't that black and white man. I am only speaking of pizza, of course
Also, 8 bucks is a big competition. Think about how many people live check to check. That's a big difference in price..

Not necessarily true, there needs to be a real/perceived need for said product!

Yea but you get my drift...the owners can pay what ever the wage is , as long as you have business skills ..

Well that is basic economics. Just like if a car was totally made in the US, less people would be driving as the cost would be out of the reach of a lot more people.

Just like electronics, can you imagine if Iphones were made in the US? They would be six or seven thousand dollars.

Could the masses really afford it?

Thousands of stores that were not fair wage stores closed too. I guess paying shitty wages is not the answer to all problems as republicans claim.

These major retailers have closed more than 5,000 stores in 2017

Dude...it's a pizza parlor. Bearno's in Louisville can get $30 for a pie...because it is awesome...but you can't sell PizzaHut quality pizza for more than PizzaHut and stay in business.

And I have never paid menu price for a PizzaHut quality pizza in my life.

If you mandated a "living wage" at PizzaHut...it would go out of business. The UBER driver would deliver cold pizzas from Wal-Mart, and folks would heat them up themselves...because Wal-Mart can afford to absorb than increase in labor costs spread across 10,000 products...PizzaHut cannot.

bear513 pizza hut is where I worked at.
This is absolutely correct.
That place that sells 30 dollar pizzas probably has a smaller customer base as well. Ours was very busy. And I traveled and trained new managers and everyone of them got ridiculous as well.

I apologize but I'm really tired at the moment; does the article specify the wage?

As a far left drone you have proven you do not understand what a free market is, just goes to prove the far left only knows key words and does not understand those words.

Why don't you define free market and I'll show you how you are wrong.

Why don't you define free market and I'll show you how you are wrong.

So supply and demand do not set prices?

Pizza probably sucked..

No?
The article says it was "popular".

Domino's is popular, doesn't make it good...

Little Ceasers is popular, doesn't make it good...

I like little Caser's, it's marketing, to claim this pizza place had to close because the owners were bad at paying employees more is ridiculous, they were bad at making pizza, business and economics .

Little Ceasars or Tree Bark.....hmmmm, tough choice

How is a shop that pays a living wage supposed to compete with shops that do not?

The only way minimum wage works is EVERYONE pays it.

Forum List

Back