🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fair Wage Pizza Parlor- Couldn't Earn A Profit- Closing

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe
[/QUOTE/—-/ Evil Libs should have bought more over priced pizza. It’s their fault.

The only places that sell expensive pizza also served other Italian food.. That's probably a big factor in my opinion on this.
When I go to a big city, I'm eating seafood lol

Long John Silvers
When we go out like that, we have to get a hotel and everything. At least two hours away for a city like that. So we go all out. Lol

makes sense

when you get the chance

nice to not have the distractions of home when away

The only places that sell expensive pizza also served other Italian food.. That's probably a big factor in my opinion on this.

Long John Silvers
When we go out like that, we have to get a hotel and everything. At least two hours away for a city like that. So we go all out. Lol
/—-/ I guess I’m spoiled. I live on Long Island and have hundreds of restaurants within a 10 mile radius. And a 40 minute ride on the LIRR into Manhattan has 10,000 more in the 5 bouroughs.

How is a shop that pays a living wage supposed to compete with shops that do not?

The only way minimum wage works is EVERYONE pays it.
When they do that, prices will go up. Or everyone gets fucked... when prices go up, how will 13 or 14 bucks an hour matter? Then they will be bitching they can't afford to go out to eat, and then it starts back.
"Why don't we just pay everyone at 100 dollars an hour?" Is a very IRL argument.

Was it on the left hand corner before a stop light? Study's proove worst place for a resteraunt..
Perhaps for people who don't know how to make a U-turn.
Two blonds were walking on opposite sides of a river. One blond yelled across to the other "How do I get to the other side of the river?" To which the other blond replied, "Duh! You ARE on the other side of the river!"

Long John Silvers
/—-/ I guess I’m spoiled. I live on Long Island and have hundreds of restaurants within a 10 mile radius. And a 40 minute ride on the LIRR into Manhattan has 10,000 more in the 5 bouroughs.
None can beat a home cooked meal by my wife.

Was it on the left hand corner before a stop light? Study's proove worst place for a resteraunt..
Two blonds were walking on opposite sides of a river. One blond yelled across to the other "How do I get to the other side of the river?" To which the other blond replied, "Duh! You ARE on the other side of the river!"
Or if you are coming from the other direction, no?

Long John Silvers
I totally respect life like that. It's different character traits and that's always cool.
But I couldn't live like that. Lol it's makes awesome getaways though!
Out here I can piss off the front or back porch, shoot guns in the backyard, surrounded by wildlife, party with loud music, ride 4wheelers, let my chickens roam and more. I have always been in the country though. appreciating different things I guess.

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe

Free Market Discipline and Price Discovery is undefeated leftists.

There is no free market, there never has been, and never will be.

Competition Based Market Discipline and Price Discovery is undefeated leftists.

Nice deception. Again; There is no free market, there never has been, and never will be.

Which has what to do with the OP?

While some have rightly pointed out that we don't know the specifics of this individual situation, artificially inflating wages is suicide. To pay higher wages you must charge higher prices which requires a better product which usually incurs higher costs. Not a good business plan.

I managed a pizza joint. There is no way we could have survived paying wages like that. Not without charging a shitload more

I angel invested in pizza stores. Yes, you can. It's about how you deal your platform.

Bullshit. The amount of crap you spew is astonishing. The OP is about a fair wage pizza shop closing because the business model doesn't work. Address the OP and stop with your bullshit lies. You don't tell them well, and they are boring.

I have better time on my hands , to make a u turn and get stuck in traffic

Long John Silvers
I totally respect life like that. It's different character traits and that's always cool.
Out here I can piss off the front or back porch, shoot guns in the backyard, surrounded by wildlife, party with loud music, ride 4wheelers, let my chickens roam and more. I have always been in the country though. appreciating different things I guess.
/——/ Ummmm you just described life in half of Brooklyn

Long John Silvers
You and I are very similar in our tastes in living.

Thousands of stores that were not fair wage stores closed too. I guess paying shitty wages is not the answer to all problems as republicans claim.

These major retailers have closed more than 5,000 stores in 2017

Dude...it's a pizza parlor. Bearno's in Louisville can get $30 for a pie...because it is awesome...but you can't sell PizzaHut quality pizza for more than PizzaHut and stay in business.

And I have never paid menu price for a PizzaHut quality pizza in my life.

If you mandated a "living wage" at PizzaHut...it would go out of business. The UBER driver would deliver cold pizzas from Wal-Mart, and folks would heat them up themselves...because Wal-Mart can afford to absorb than increase in labor costs spread across 10,000 products...PizzaHut cannot.

P.S. --- Now THAT'S a pizza...

View attachment 156716

Specials - Bearno's Pizza

I prefer Wicks up near Bardstown.

I do profit sharing with my employees, and it works for everyone involved. It motivates them to not only produce more, but they love me for it. Treat your people well, let them experience the success and they will be loyal 9 times out of 10.

Forum List

Back