Family of man who died in ER waiting room 'appalled' by premier's comments about lawsuit Darrell Mesheau died after waiting 7 hours at Hospital

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Another sad story of our healthcare decline.

It isn't going to be better. Our country is most unforgiving of ANY vulnerable people. The young, poor, elderly or the sick who desperately need help.

RIP to Darrell.

After Premier Blaine Higgs slammed the family of Darrell Mesheau last weekend for naming nurses in the lawsuit over their father's death, Mesheau's son is speaking out.

"I feel that I am forced to speak up," Ryan Mesheau said in an emailed statement to CBC News.

"I became quickly appalled because of the misinformation that Premier Higgs chose to spread in his statements, seeming to use the death of my father for what appeared to be a self-serving attempt to gain political points."

Susan Mesheau, executor of the estate of her brother Darrell Mesheau, filed a notice of action against Horizon Health and two nurses who were on shift at a Fredericton emergency room the night he died.

Darrell Mesheau, 78, sat in the waiting room of the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital emergency room for about seven hours before he was discovered unresponsive around 4:30 a.m. on July 12, 2022.

The notice names Danielle Othen, a registered nurse who triaged Mesheau, and April Knowles, a licensed practical nurse with the task of monitoring patients.

Having a patient dying in a Canadian ER every two years is not acceptable in Canada! Corrective measures must be taken immediately to ensure this happens no more often than ten years at worst!!

Having a patient dying in a Canadian ER every two years is not acceptable in Canada! Corrective measures must be taken immediately to ensure this happens no more often than ten years at worst!!

You only wish it were that infrequent. We only hear a fraction of the cases, those family members who loudly demand answers.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back