Fast food companies cost the US taxpayer

One of you says I should get a "real" job and now another one says I'm taking jobs away from teens and retired people.

Obviously, neither of you has the slightest clue.

===========

Its idiotic to say that fat food jobs are meant to be "entry level" or meant for "teenagers and retired people". Try as you might there is simply no excuse, no reason why tax payers should be forced to subsidize huge corporations.

Back to that "stupid obstacle" again.......
Both of those statements are telling you to get a better job.
And the fact that you are taking jobs from sixteen and sixty year olds should tell you something about your life and the direction it's going.

LOL

I started working at 13, was homeless at 16, am now 67, retired and very well off. Nonetheless, I now have a very profitable job, selling at Amazon and Ebay.

See?

Toldja you didn't have a clue.

Now, what about the topic?

I wrote ,

Its idiotic to say that fat food jobs are meant to be "entry level" or meant for "teenagers and retired people". Try as you might there is simply no excuse, no reason why tax payers should be forced to subsidize huge corporations.

That is my opinion. You can agree or not.

I dont really give a shit if it applies to you or not.
And I was homeless for a time as well. Now I'm 48 and retired. And guess what...I've never worked a minimum wage job in my life. It's not that difficult to find a job that pays more and has room to grow. You just keep looking while working at Mickyds.
That would be showing initiative so I'm sure you're against it....

Republicans used to be smart people, but based on this thread, that's obviously a thing of the past.

Why are WE having to help major corporations to pay their employees? They make billions and billions, but they insist on paying their workforce as little as possible.

Of course, Republicans do NOT support minimum wage increases EVER, even though if minimum wagers were paid more fairly, they would save us billions in welfare, which these corporations WANT their employees to use, like in this example.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUsgn-Ubh0]McResources "Help" Line - YouTube[/ame]

Republicans used to be smart people, but based on this thread, that's obviously a thing of the past.

Why are WE having to help major corporations to pay their employees? They make billions and billions, but they insist on paying their workforce as little as possible.

Of course, Republicans do NOT support minimum wage increases EVER, even though if minimum wagers were paid more fairly, they would save us billions in welfare, which these corporations WANT their employees to use, like in this example.

McResources "Help" Line - YouTube

Since you consider yourself smart...perhaps you'd like to take a crack at explaining how raising the minimum wage to a "living wage" level won't also raise the wages of everyone else?

And if we raise EVERYONE'S wages then won't that simply cause inflation therefore wiping out the raise that you just gave to those people making minimum wage? How does THAT solve anything?

I see that stupid video and a couple things come to my attention.

She worked there for 10 years. 10 years. She in all that time had no chance to apply for a higher position in the company? In that 10 years did she have absolutely no opportunity to use her experience to get another job? In that 10 years did she do anything to increase her skill level beyond cashier?

If her job was not paying her enough money for the past ten years then why does it look like she has had 2 children in that time?

My conclusions are she stayed there for 10 years without trying to get a better position or a better job elsewhere because she wanted to stay there.

And even though her job didn't pay her enough she chose to have 2 kids.

All the fault here lies with her no one else.

ok, just ban all fast food joints in this country...KILL all them jobs that are for youngsters just get starting in life

we won't have to listen to crap like this from the OP anymore

they can all join Obama's vision of their lives and all become JULIAS

[ame=http://youtu.be/96QTR9Q4VrY]The Life of Julia! - YouTube[/ame]

First of all, let's define what a "living wage" would be? Should it be enough to raise a family of four on? Or should it be enough for a teen living at home to save some money for college, a first car or a burger and a movie on date night?
Exactly.

This is why you cannot attempt to regulate wages based on the living expenses of the employees, they are too variable. Wages and employee lifestyle are two completely different things.

Fast-Food Chains Costing Taxpayers the Most Money - 24/7 Wall St.

....According to the National Employment Law Project’s (NELP) newest report, because the fast-food industry pays its workers less than a living wage, U.S. taxpayers must foot the bill in the form of the public assistance programs these workers must use to get by. McDonald’s alone, according to the group, cost taxpayers $1.2 billion last year. Based on NELP’s estimates, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the annual costs of providing public assistance to low wage employees working at the seven largest publicly traded fast-food companies.

“What this report shows,” explained NELP policy analyst Jack Temple, “is that whether or not you work in the fast-food industry or eat fast-food, the industry is costing you. The low wage business model that this industry is based on drains resources from the economy by forcing low-pay workers to rely on public assistance in order to make ends meet.”

Read more: Fast-Food Chains Costing Taxpayers the Most Money - 24/7 Wall St. Fast-Food Chains Costing Taxpayers the Most Money - 24/7 Wall St.
Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

The list is on page two but its nothing we all don't already know.

What is truly sad about this is that if Americans stood together and refused to subsidize these companies, they would be paying a living wage over night. All it would take is a real boycott and welfare rolls would shrink.

Instead, my bet is that certain people will read this list and decide to frequent these companies more often. I believe the right hates this country so much, they will do whatever they can to cause more harm. That's what we've been seeing for a long time now and I don't see it ending any time soon.

And, its a double whammy because eating the shit these places serve directly contributes to the very diseases so many Americans fight every day.

Do you eat at these establishments?

I don't.

She worked there for 10 years. 10 years. She in all that time had no chance to apply for a higher position in the company? In that 10 years did she have absolutely no opportunity to use her experience to get another job? In that 10 years did she do anything to increase her skill level beyond cashier?

If her job was not paying her enough money for the past ten years then why does it look like she has had 2 children in that time?

My conclusions are she stayed there for 10 years without trying to get a better position or a better job elsewhere because she wanted to stay there.

WTF does it matter whether she moved up the company or not?

Are you aware that it's mathematically impossible for EVERYONE to be the CEO?

The point is that we should NOT have to help multi-billion dollar profiteering corporations to help pay for their employees.

Right-wingers love corporations so much, apparently they think handing them charity to help pay for the workforce is okay?

Have you guys gone completely out of your minds?

The point is that we should NOT have to help multi-billion dollar profiteering corporations to help pay for their employees.

Right-wingers love corporations so much, apparently they think handing them charity to help pay for the workforce is okay?

Many have, yes. So, would you agree to a law preventing companies from employing people on public assistance, unless they paid them enough to get off of said assistance?

An employee's personal expenditures, standard of living, life choices that lead to said standard of living, etc. are not the responsibility of a corporation.

Are you aware that there are more positions in a company than just cashier and CEO?

The point is she isn't trying to get a job that will pay her bills and government giveaways are giving her a reason to not to

I understand that you have to boil the world down to right and left because a more complicated view is beyond you but the reality is that if the job was so bad she would have left. Too easy to get government freebies are a disincentive to work as this woman clearly exemplifies.

She is still there after 10 YEARS because that is exactly where she wants to be.

It is her choice to stay. We should not be rewarding her with freebies for making that choice

Last edited:

....According to the National Employment Law Project’s (NELP) newest report, because the fast-food industry pays its workers less than a living wage, U.S. taxpayers must foot the bill in the form of the public assistance programs these workers must use to get by. McDonald’s alone, according to the group, cost taxpayers $1.2 billion last year. Based on NELP’s estimates, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the annual costs of providing public assistance to low wage employees working at the seven largest publicly traded fast-food companies.

“What this report shows,” explained NELP policy analyst Jack Temple, “is that whether or not you work in the fast-food industry or eat fast-food, the industry is costing you. The low wage business model that this industry is based on drains resources from the economy by forcing low-pay workers to rely on public assistance in order to make ends meet.”

Read more: Fast-Food Chains Costing Taxpayers the Most Money - 24/7 Wall St. Fast-Food Chains Costing Taxpayers the Most Money - 24/7 Wall St.

What is truly sad about this is that if Americans stood together and refused to subsidize these companies, they would be paying a living wage over night. All it would take is a real boycott and welfare rolls would shrink.

Instead, my bet is that certain people will read this list and decide to frequent these companies more often. I believe the right hates this country so much, they will do whatever they can to cause more harm. That's what we've been seeing for a long time now and I don't see it ending any time soon.

And, its a double whammy because eating the shit these places serve directly contributes to the very diseases so many Americans fight every day.

The whole premise of this thread is BS.
These jobs are for teens,college students and retirees. And none of these people would have a need for gov assistance in most cases.
So it's actually the idiots trying to turn a starter job into to a career option that are causing the problem.
If you stop and think you'll realize it was never a problem in the past. Why now?

These jobs are for teens,college students and retirees. And none of these people would have a need for gov assistance in most cases.
So it's actually the idiots trying to turn a starter job into to a career option that are causing the problem.
If you stop and think you'll realize it was never a problem in the past. Why now?

The problem today is good paying jobs are hard to find because the economy and other issues related to health care. The market is now full of these people now trying to make ends meet on jobs that the purpose was a stepping stone.

This country is in bad shape, however the government doesn't seem interested in fixing the issue.

The problem today is good paying jobs are hard to find because the economy and other issues related to health care. The market is now full of these people now trying to make ends meet on jobs that the purpose was a stepping stone.

This country is in bad shape, however the government doesn't seem interested in fixing the issue.

While I understand the job market sucks in some states,I dont see why that would change the fact that the job isnt worth 15 bucks an hour. With a down turn in the economy wages normally go stagnant or go down.
This isnt the first shit economy we've seen. Whether or not this becomes the way it's going to be from now on would depend voter intelligence.
And with what I've seen I dont have much hope.

All we need to do is get rid of all the laws that tell employers who they have to hire. Employers should absolutely be able to refuse to hire people who depend on their salaries to support their families when they KNOW that the job requirements are inadequate for that.

Once again, Interpol...I ask the question that I've asked repeatedly only to be ignored by those of you that want to raise minimum wage to a "living wage".

How do you propose to raise minimum wage without a corresponding raise in all other wages (something that any practical person understands will have to take place) and if you can't do so...how do you see any benefit in simply raising the amount that everyone makes?

Forum List

Back