Favorite sandwich as a kid?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
My favorite sandwich when I was little, was something my granny concocted for me, and I loved it.

Hard toasted bread, with cheese, fried egg, fried balona, fried bacon, and tomato.

9K9A0252-1024x752.jpg

Sounds familiar. Thinking back hard, I can remember grilled cheese sandwiches, fried baloney sandwiches (a variant of yours above), just don't forget to add the mayonnaise.

Of course, there was also just the BLT, as well as the fried egg sandwich. They were all good.

My mother made stuff I have not had in eons (she passed in '96) that I'd love to have again.

Moms are so special.

One thing I really liked was she somehow made french toast I think (or maybe just butter toast) in a grill with butter, made a hole in the center then fried an egg in the hole.

Sliced cold deer roast with homemade horseradish sauce.

I had hair on my chest early. ;)

My favorite sandwich when I was little, was something my granny concocted for me, and I loved it.

Hard toasted bread, with cheese, fried egg, fried balona, fried bacon, and tomato.

9K9A0252-1024x752.jpg
I didn't have a favorite. When I was growing up I was lucky to get any sandwich, so all of them were good.
I liked PB&J but there was that Liverwurst with the ring of fat around it that I liked with mustard.

NOW you are talking. You just can't find a good strong horseradish sauce sold in the supermarkets.
Every time mom would fix a deer roast she would make as small batch from a jar of horseradish that my grandmother would put up every year. That's some damn fine eating. ;)

BTW....ALDI has some good German made horseradish that will clear your sinuses and make your eyes water.

Every time mom would fix a deer roast she would make as small batch from a jar of horseradish that my grandmother would put up every year. That's some damn fine eating. ;)
BTW....ALDI has some good German made horseradish that will clear your sinuses and make your eyes water.

That is one thing I never grew but should have, my own horseradish. Life is just not right without good horseradish, ginger, wasabi and hot peppers.

My tastes have not changed. I still love turkey sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I make a mean Rubin. ;)

In fact I have the fixins' and I made a cauldron of Vegetable-Beef soup this evening.....I know what we are having tomorrow. ;)

I learned that if you let horseradish grow HUGE, almost to the point its so hard its inedible........its hotter than Satans asshole!!!
The young roots are good too, but if you like that horseradish heat......let it grow and grow and grow.

I think the biggest change for me since a kid is that as a kid, all I wanted or ate was white bread. But then, I don't think the selection back then was quite what it is today, and maybe my folks just didn't like funky bread. Now, today, older, my tastes have definitely evolved towards the whole grain, the multi-grain, and less processing.

I think the biggest change for me since a kid is that as a kid, all I wanted or ate was white bread. But then, I don't think the selection back then was quite what it is today, and maybe my folks just didn't like funky bread. Now, today, older, my tastes have definitely evolved towards the whole grain, the multi-grain, and less processing.
I think I was the only kid that liked Pumpernickel bread.....Hit with some country butter and enjoy.

I think I was the only kid that liked Pumpernickel bread.....Hit with some country butter and enjoy.

Definitely. I don't even buy regular bread. Recently, I've even been using Rye bread for a PB&J.

BLT's were awesome....but I also got to drink my first cup of coffee when I was 12+1/2 with a tuna salad sandwich while hiking with my grandfather in northern N.J.. We sat down to eat next to the ruins of an old stone mansion overlooking a reservoir on a mild October afternoon. Best sandwich experience ever!

Around the same age...when Knight Rider, the A-Team and Magnum P.I. were it, I used to watch those shows while eating a chicken, green olive and mayo sandwich. Not talking coldcuts, but real chicken chunks picked off a cold rotisserie chicken sitting in the fridge.

Tomato sandwich on light toast. Sometimes with mayo. But most of the time just a plain tomato sandwich.

Forum List

Back