Favorite sandwich as a kid?

My mom used to make open faced grill cheese in the broiler

1678495848815-jpeg.764449

That's just cheese toast. :)

My favorite sandwich when I was little, was something my granny concocted for me, and I loved it.

Hard toasted bread, with cheese, fried egg, fried balona, fried bacon, and tomato.

9K9A0252-1024x752.jpg
It has to be a grilled cheese for me.

Cheese was the hardest thing to give up when I went plant based

Definitely. I don't even buy regular bread. Recently, I've even been using Rye bread for a PB&J.
The grocery store bread isn't nearly the same product it was when I was a kid. And most of it has soy in it. Soy contains endocrine disrupting compounds. Soy is not food, it's animal fodder. Fake food. When I was a kid Wonderbread didn't have soy in it.

These days I just bake my own bread. It tastes better and it's cheaper.

The grocery store bread isn't nearly the same product it was when I was a kid. And most of it has soy in it.
Only gluten-free breads for people with gluten intolerance. But there is more bread made today with preservatives in it because less bread is made locally.

Soy is not food, it's animal fodder. Fake food.
Hummus is fake food?

All the above are tasty and bring back memories.
Something my two brothers always requested, which I only tried decades later and realized it was good;
Peanut butter (ideally chunky), mustard and sliced dill pickle. On white bread since that was mostly what was around in the 1950s.
My dad often raved about his depression era, on the farm sandwiches of bread, buttered and with pickles. Either sliced dill or sliced sweet. (May have some linkage to the "bread-n-butter" type available in the stores now.

Peanut butter (ideally chunky),
Of course! The chunkier the better. Smoothie is for sissies.

Peanut butter (ideally chunky) mustard and sliced dill pickle.
Never had that but it sounds like a good switch from the usual jelly. I have that in stock and will have to try it. Do you recommend yellow, brown or hot, I keep 4-5 different mustards in stock all the time.

BTW, what jelly do most people here like? I usually go for strawberry or some similar berry, but the selection in most stores suck and is rather limited and when you find an off variety, they always want to sell it in a tiny jar for a fantastic price. I might like grape if just someone would make it right with more actual GRAPE in it thick with pieces of skin in the jelly.

My favorite sandwich when I was little, was something my granny concocted for me, and I loved it.

Hard toasted bread, with cheese, fried egg, fried balona, fried bacon, and tomato.

9K9A0252-1024x752.jpg
For me it was a sandwich meat called spiced luncheon on wonderful bread with mayonnaise, crisp iceberg lettuce, fresh tomato from the garden and homemade potato chips. Other than mom's fried chicken--the chicken was caught, killed, plucked, cleaned and fried just before serving it--it was my favorite meal.

Cheese was the hardest thing to give up when I went plant based
Why did cheese have to be given up? From what I have been told, cheese is a good source of protein for those who do not want to eat meat.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Olive loaf was pretty good in its day too!
I wouldn't refuse to eat olive loaf but that and pickle loaf were my least favorites of the lunch meats. You can't buy the spiced luncheon anymore, at least in the grocery stores around here, but it tasted so good to me when I was a kid and even as an adult years ago. Ah well it's just as well. Every 'health' source now declares processed meats a no no in a healthy diet. Of course when I was a kid they were not nearly as processed as they are now.

I wouldn't refuse to eat olive loaf but that and pickle loaf were my least favorites of the lunch meats. You can't buy the spiced luncheon anymore, at least in the grocery stores around here, but it tasted so good to me when I was a kid and even as an adult years ago. Ah well it's just as well. Every 'health' source now declares processed meats a no no in a healthy diet. Of course when I was a kid they were not nearly as processed as they are now.

Looks like Sams Club carries the Armour brand but you have to buy whole 10 pound deli loafs. It has garlic, cumin and chili powder in it. You might be able to mix up a mayo with those three in it to get the same flavor with regular luncheon meat or sprinkle some chili, cumin and powdered garlic right on the meat.

Must have had too much flavor for the stores to carry it as most Americans only eat BLAND food.

Looks like Sams Club carries the Armour brand but you have to buy whole 10 pound deli loafs. It has garlic, cumin and chili powder in it. You might be able to mix up a mayo with those three in it to get the same flavor with regular luncheon meat or sprinkle some chili, cumin and powdered garlic right on the meat.

Must have had too much flavor for the stores to carry it as most Americans only eat BLAND food.
I don't know if I have tasted Sam's Club version but I have tasted other versions and they aren't the same at all.

Anyway it's moot since I avoid almost all processed foods these days, most especially processed meats. They just aren't good for a body.

Another sandwich I've always loved is chicken and avocado.... chicken avocado and buttered bread.... Oh my.....these threads make me so hungry! :tongue:

sxpX5e2.jpg

I don't know if I have tasted Sam's Club version but I have tasted other versions and they aren't the same at all.

Some sources suggest this used to be a baked/smoked meat loaf that went by the name of Dutch Loaf or Pennsylvania Dutch Loaf. One recipe I saw had bell pepper and other such things in it.

Another sandwich I've always loved is chicken and avocado.... chicken avocado and buttered bread.... Oh my.....these threads make me so hungry! :tongue:

sxpX5e2.jpg

Wow, that just sounds evil! I've actually been eating something a little similar: Pulled chicken on toasted bread/buns smothered in thick slices of jalapeno pepper covered in thick slices of Swiss cheese on top then microwaved to heat the chicken until the cheese softens and starts to melt down into the peppers and chicken!

Sauce is optional but sometimes I add a little mango/coconut sauce mixed with hot pepper/black truffle sauce on top.

Some sources suggest this used to be a baked/smoked meat loaf that went by the name of Dutch Loaf or Pennsylvania Dutch Loaf. One recipe I saw had bell pepper and other such things in it.
I'm sure it's very good but just not what I want in sandwich filler. :)

Forum List

Back