Federal Judge Restores Early and Weekend Voting in Wisconsin

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Another GOP attempt to curtail voting rights has been thwarted....thank goodness for the unbiased judicial system.

This past Friday, a GOP-backed law that limited in-person absentee voting to just one location, slashed early voting hours, and got rid of weekend voting was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge..

Another GOP attempt to curtail voting rights has been thwarted....thank goodness for the unbiased judicial system.

This past Friday, a GOP-backed law that limited in-person absentee voting to just one location, slashed early voting hours, and got rid of weekend voting was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge..

Why is it so hard to vote on Election day?

People did it when they had to take a freaking buggy ride to town for hours on end.

If voting is important to a person, they should be able to adjust their day to get it done. hell, I would support a 24 hour open poll, from 9PM the day before to 9PM day of, but allowing people to vote weeks before an election to me leaves to much of a chance of buyers remorse if something comes up between the cast vote and the actual election.

Election day is one day; the first Tuesday in November. Any other days provided are a convenience and a privilege, not a right.

Maybe that Khan dude has an extra pocket Constitution to share with this judge.

• Banned
If voting is important to a person, they should be able to adjust their day to get it done. hell, I would support a 24 hour open poll, from 9PM the day before to 9PM day of, but allowing people to vote weeks before an election to me leaves to much of a chance of buyers remorse if something comes up between the cast vote and the actual election.

Good idea........propose it to the GOP in your county and see how well it is received.

• Banned
Election day is one day; the first Tuesday in November. Any other days provided are a convenience and a privilege, not a right.

Maybe that Khan dude has an extra pocket Constitution to share with this judge

Bullshit........We have a growing population and the GOP is cutting back on polling stations.

Beautiful, all these new Jim Crow laws that Republicans have been frantically passing the last 5 years are quickly being struck down. Democracy raises it's shield.

People did it when they had to take a freaking buggy ride to town for hours on end.

buyer's remorse? I've never been sorry about a vote I've cast.

you're so funny.

buggies? :rofl:

Utter nonsense. Every word

Guess you haven't read the Constitution either.

Just to educate you.....When the Constitution was written, we had less than 4 million people in the U.S and only a small percentage could vote; a population that is less than that found in today's most urban cities.

Just to educate you.....When the Constitution was written, we had less than 4 million people in the U.S.; a population that was less than today's most urban cities.
Yep and today we have a population of around 330 million most of whom have no idea what the U.S. Constitution is, let alone what it actually says, heck most of the dumb fucks in this country couldn't find the United States on map.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it" -- Mark Twain

Bullshit........We have a growing population and the GOP is cutting back on polling stations.

Judge Watson of the Southern District of Ohio, is a republican appointee having been moved for confirmation by Senator DeWine and Senator Voinovich and named to the bench by baby bush.

he is well respected. he obviously believed the intent of the legislation was to suppress minority voting and, in fact said, in his decision:

"Based on this evidence, it is reasonable to conclude that the reduction in overall time to vote will burden the right to vote of African Americans, who use (early in-person) voting significantly more than other voters," Watson said in a 120-page opinion.

The legislature's stated justifications for the cutback — reducing fraud, trimming costs, avoiding voter confusion — were weak, said Watson, former chief counsel to Republican Gov. Bob Taft. Watson ordered Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted and Attorney General Mike DeWine — the defendants in the case — to stop enforcing the shortened voting period."

Judge rules Ohio voter rights violated

so, since you clearly don't understand the issue, or misplaced *your* copy of the constitution, the issue is not whether voting should happen on one day. it is about whether the restrictions unfairly burden a particular group of voters in violation of the equal protection clause.

Judge Watson, a republican, clearly felt that the justification given by the republican state legislature was subterfuge..... you know, like the texas law that tried to keep women from their right to reproductive choice. it's something the right likes doing.

Last edited:

Just to educate you.....When the Constitution was written, we had less than 4 million people in the U.S and only a small percentage could vote; a population that is less than that found in today's most urban cities.

apparently he wants to go back to the days where only rich white, male, landed gentry could vote.

Good idea........propose it to the GOP in your county and see how well it is received.

why just the GOP?

buyer's remorse? I've never been sorry about a vote I've cast.

you're so funny.

buggies? :rofl:

What's the earliest vote you have put in?

and for not ever feeling sorry about a cast vote... that's either an indication of incredible luck, or a narcissistic concept of never being able to think one was wrong about something.

Utter nonsense. Every word

Next time try responding to some of my points, you gutless hack.

why just the GOP?

Democrats have LONG been proponents of voting rights and the expansion of the privilege....
The GOP, however, not so much.

How does letting someone vote 2 months ahead of time expand voting rights?

If something like voting is so important, how hard is it to make time to do it?

and Dems have a longer track record of actual voter suppression than republicans are being blamed for, and will continue to be blamed for.

Beautiful, all these new Jim Crow laws that Republicans have been frantically passing the last 5 years are quickly being struck down. Democracy raises it's shield.

Yes, because only white heterosexual males are allowed to get government ID's.

I would end all early voting and provisional votes, and you better have a damned good excuse to get an absentee ballot.

Vote on Election Day, or you don't vote.

And bring two IDs, one being a photo ID. You'll need them.

Forum List

Back