Federal Judge Restores Early and Weekend Voting in Wisconsin

The U.S. has a little more than 50% of its eligible voters actually casting a vote (compared to almost 90% of Belgium, Turkey, Sweden, etc.)
Voting should be compulsory in a democracy with a fine of $50 (based on tax returns) imposed on all who could physically vote, but chose not to. It may sound harsh, but it works in other democratic countries.

To me, identity politics as a whole is a progressive strategy to balkanize the population, and hand out goodies to get votes. Sooner or later, people in those groups will get past identities and move onto ideas, and at that point, progressives like you will have a much harder sales pitch to make.

Yes, yes....its true.....Soon we're going to have to give out Lamboghinis or BMWs to get those minorities to vote for us.....and, of course, we are going to have to get more dead people to the polls.....
Boy, we have a lot of work to do (meanwhile, keep on giving us your Trumps and Romneys.)
Well, Al Gore's campaign tried bribing voters with cigarettes here in Wisconsin...

The U.S. has a little more than 50% of its eligible voters actually casting a vote (compared to almost 90% of Belgium, Turkey, Sweden, etc.)
Voting should be compulsory in a democracy with a fine of $50 (based on tax returns) imposed on all who could physically vote, but chose not to. It may sound harsh, but it works in other democratic countries.
Freedom, under penalty of law for being foolish enough to think that you're so free that you can refrain from engaging in a meaningless ritual!

Another GOP attempt to curtail voting rights has been thwarted....thank goodness for the unbiased judicial system.

This past Friday, a GOP-backed law that limited in-person absentee voting to just one location, slashed early voting hours, and got rid of weekend voting was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge..
The left think blacks are stupid.

Where are all the links to the studies on 'voter fraud' across the country. Voter fraud is nearly non-existent.

This is why the courts are slamming the door on the hands of these idiot Republicans who have been implementing 100 year old Jim Crow laws like they are Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Another GOP attempt to curtail voting rights has been thwarted....thank goodness for the unbiased judicial system.

This past Friday, a GOP-backed law that limited in-person absentee voting to just one location, slashed early voting hours, and got rid of weekend voting was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge..

You got a real link to the story instead of some regressive voter turn out bullshit?

All these proposed changes in voting laws in Republican controlled states are supposed to prevent voter fraud.

How exactly does curtailing early voting and weekend voting prevent voter fraud?

Bullshit........We have a growing population and the GOP is cutting back on polling stations.
Guess you haven't read the Constitution either.
Guess you haven’t read the ruling:

“The court concludes that most of the challenged in-person absentee voting provisions violate the First and Fourteenth Amendments for three reasons: the moderate burdens that they impose are not justified by the state’s proffered interests; local control addresses the needs of the communities; and the purported consistency is illusory.”

http://media.jrn.com/documents/vote_ruling.pdf

The right to vote is fundamental, the states cannot not place an undue burden on that fundamental right.

The republican-backed measure was enacted in bad faith, seeking only to disadvantage voters perceived by republicans as likely voters for democratic candidates.

And your opposition to the ruling is also without merit.

Through redistricting and gerrymandering, conservative republicans have cleverly managed to gain control of many state legislatures and governors' mansions and these types of voters' suppression will go on for decades. Luckily, there has been only one obstacle to this type of oppression.......the sane and objective judicial system.....Thank goodness.

How exactly does curtailing early voting and weekend voting prevent voter fraud?

as I've often stated in other threads, what republicans are offering is a "solution in search of a problem that does not exist".......

as I've often stated in other threads, what republicans are offering is a "solution in search of a problem that does not exist".......

and in this case...there is not even the faintest relationship to voter fraud...

To me, identity politics as a whole is a progressive strategy to balkanize the population, and hand out goodies to get votes. Sooner or later, people in those groups will get past identities and move onto ideas, and at that point, progressives like you will have a much harder sales pitch to make.

Yes, yes....its true.....Soon we're going to have to give out Lamboghinis or BMWs to get those minorities to vote for us.....and, of course, we are going to have to get more dead people to the polls.....
Boy, we have a lot of work to do (meanwhile, keep on giving us your Trumps and Romneys.)

Your mockery means you don't have any tangible response to my comments. And dead people at the polls is more of a Chicago thing than a southern thing.

The simple fact is when you pay people for bad behavior, you are subsidizing it, even under the guise of helping people. This crosses the race and gender lines that progressives want to create as a method of divide and conquer. sooner or later, people will become affluent enough to move away from the hard identities created, and more towards ideas. We saw it during European Immigration at the turn of the 19th/20th century, and I have no doubt it will occur again, despite progressive attempts to keep everyone on their own little "plantation".

What bad things has trump said about black people?

There's' reasons why Trump will probably get only one percent of the black vote....Mainly for statements such as these:

“A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. I think sometimes a black may think they don’t have an advantage or this and that... I’ve said on one occasion, even about myself, if I were starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I believe they do have an actual advantage.’’

How is that a bad thing?

Guess you haven’t read the ruling:

“The court concludes that most of the challenged in-person absentee voting provisions violate the First and Fourteenth Amendments for three reasons: the moderate burdens that they impose are not justified by the state’s proffered interests; local control addresses the needs of the communities; and the purported consistency is illusory.”

http://media.jrn.com/documents/vote_ruling.pdf

The right to vote is fundamental, the states cannot not place an undue burden on that fundamental right.

The republican-backed measure was enacted in bad faith, seeking only to disadvantage voters perceived by republicans as likely voters for democratic candidates.

And your opposition to the ruling is also without merit.
Couldn't care less what autocrats in black robes, making shit up as they go along, say.

Early voting is a convenience and voting is a privilege. No rights are involved.

Election day is the first Tuesday of November. Everything else outside of that is a gift.

Forum List

Back