Fireflies: Eco-Morse

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Fireflies light up the night sky on Earth with their bioluminescence.

These insects create a natural-electric evening light show that serves to remind human beings of the precocious on/off pattern of ecosystem perceptibility.

We can imagine an American comic book superhero such as Green Lantern (DC Comics) advertising fireflies to create eco-activism optimism.

We only have one chance to bridge the Earth.

That's what local community eco-insight groups are all about.

Firefly (Wikipedia)

EcoWomen - Colorado

lantern.jpg

fireflies.jpg

OK but.... there isn't really a point here.

We called 'em "lightning bugs" where I grew up but my empirical observation, and other observers agree, is that their population has declined from when we grew up 180 years ago. I don't know if that's a quantifiable fact but it seems so, and that would be a concern.

"Firefly luciferin is the luciferin found in many Lampyridae species. It is the substrate of luciferas responsible for the characteristic yellow light emission from fireflies. The chemistry is unusual, as adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is required for light emission."
source: Luciferin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I have discover only in Hungarian the cost. I have a bad english, but I hope that I make translation good:
The artificially manufactured luciferin HUF 5 millon/gram. The luciferáz enzyme costs this much at least ten times though. The users buy from this very rarely of course more than the part of a gram of century.

Source: Gábor Lente, chemistry instructor's blog. (Only in Hungarian)
ScienceBits: Lente Gábor blogja

Remark: Currency's central rate, today: Dollar 1 ~ HUF 283.
(Consequence: ~ $ 17665 ~ HUF 5 million)
Hungarian National Bank:
Középárfolyamok | Aktuális árfolyam valutaváltó!

BUT, already there are "A bright idea":

The astonishing glow-in-the-dark GM plants that could one day replace street lamps. Scientists in California have used genes from fireflies and glow worms to create glowing plants
The team wants to extend their research to larger plants and create an alternative to electric lighting

Glow-in-the-dark trees could soon be a natural alternative to electric street lighting, according to scientists.
source: A bright idea: The astonishing glow-in-the-dark GM plants that could one day replace street lamps
Researchers at the Glowing Plant project from California have transferred the glowing genes seen in fireflies, in to plants to make them glow-in-the-dark.

The team is now hoping to extend the technique to larger plants and trees, and use them to replace electric lights."

article-2321865-19B27F9C000005DC-636_308x185.jpg

"Firefly luciferin is the luciferin found in many Lampyridae species. It is the substrate of luciferas responsible for the characteristic yellow light emission from fireflies. The chemistry is unusual, as adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is required for light emission."

Sorry, I have discover only in Hungarian the cost. I have a bad english, but I hope that I make translation good:
The artificially manufactured luciferin HUF 5 millon/gram. The luciferáz enzyme costs this much at least ten times though. The users buy from this very rarely of course more than the part of a gram of century.

Hungarian National Bank:

The astonishing glow-in-the-dark GM plants that could one day replace street lamps. Scientists in California have used genes from fireflies and glow worms to create glowing plants
The team wants to extend their research to larger plants and create an alternative to electric lighting

Glow-in-the-dark trees could soon be a natural alternative to electric street lighting, according to scientists.
source: A bright idea: The astonishing glow-in-the-dark GM plants that could one day replace street lamps
Researchers at the Glowing Plant project from California have transferred the glowing genes seen in fireflies, in to plants to make them glow-in-the-dark.

The team is now hoping to extend the technique to larger plants and trees, and use them to replace electric lights."

View attachment 66263

It's interesting stuff but the GM bit is damned scary.

What is the point of life itself?

Fireflies are an important channel marker in my existence. And Abishai100 is a remarkable effort in Artificial Intelligence. I've watched this bot get better and better over a couple years. It's starting to be conversational and may eventually pass the Turing test if it ever learns to use the "Post Reply" button..

Maybe it will happen when Abishai112 shows up,..

Makes me want to post up those long exposure lightning bug pics I took a couple summers ago..

Hungarian National Bank:

View attachment 66263

I've seen that glowing tree work.. There was a "crowd funded" effort to make some. The folks who donated over $100 were to get a seedling of the prototype trees !!! The team said it's not difficult, it is just that no one has ever paid for the work..

It's gonna confuse the heck out of night animals tho.. Poor owls and bats are gonna be blinded. Or MAYBE the bug hunting will be better around the glowing trees. Hope someone is paying attention to the side effects of this work..

Forum List

Back