France outlaws burkas

Temporarily, yes. And not just for women.

:eusa_eh:

Are you telling me that this ban doesn't apply to men also? That men, if they chose to, could wear burkas?
Let us see if any sheiks arrive in France and are told to change into a business suit.

:doubt:

apples and oranges Ravi.

So I take it that the ban on covering the head and face with a burka applies to both men and women. Or at least until conflicting factual evidence is presented I'm going to assume that the French government wouldn't be quite so retarded as to pass this law as being applicable only to women.

Then the woman I encountered driving in one was a moron. She drove like shit and was a hazard on the road. She clearly did not see me and others when she tried to pull in front of us.

It limits vision and that's a hazard when driving.

the woman is probably a crappy driver with or without the niqab. like i said i drove with the face veil on before and it does not in anyway impair vision.

try it for youself if you don't believe me.
No thanks. I like my car too much.

Fact: The niqab limits vision, especially peripheral vision.

Fact: One must pass a peripheral vision test to be legally licensed to drive in many states. I wonder why that is necessary? :rolleyes:

I fail to see how that's possible unless the fabric is unreasonably close to the eyes.

niqab.jpg

Ignorance of what goes on in the middle east is still in style I see.

Only Saudi and Iran (and in some parts of yemen) do they impose the hijab. In the rest of the middle east you can pretty much wear whatever. And actually in some places like Tunisia and Morroco hijab is actually discouraged in many work places.

I lived in the middle east for over 10 years and I faced no problems being hijabless. I actually knew some women who's families forbade them from wearing hijab (which i think is wrong because every woman has choice)

and many of the women who wore niqab were educated and it was their choice.

and it's a myth you can't drive with the niqab on. it doesn't impair your vision in anyway. i tested it myself.
Then the woman I encountered driving in one was a moron. She drove like shit and was a hazard on the road. She clearly did not see me and others when she tried to pull in front of us.

The worst drivers here where I live in the North East.

Is an Asian woman driving while talking on a cell phone.

They are a menace and shouldn't be allowed on the road. Period. :evil:

:eusa_eh:

Are you telling me that this ban doesn't apply to men also? That men, if they chose to, could wear burkas?
Let us see if any sheiks arrive in France and are told to change into a business suit.

apples and oranges Ravi.

So I take it that the ban on covering the head and face with a burka applies to both men and women. Or at least until conflicting factual evidence is presented I'm going to assume that the French government wouldn't be quite so retarded as to pass this law as being applicable only to women.
They were careful to write it without mentioning women...but only women wear the veil.

the woman is probably a crappy driver with or without the niqab. like i said i drove with the face veil on before and it does not in anyway impair vision.

Fact: One must pass a peripheral vision test to be legally licensed to drive in many states. I wonder why that is necessary? :rolleyes:

and you are basing your facts on what? what you are saying is not a fact. it's a myth like i said.

most slits in niqab are wide. the sides of the eye are left open as well so your peripheral vision is not blocked. and how do you think thousands of niqabed women pass their drivers test in this country? do you think the DMV just lets them pass for no reason?

I fail to see how that's possible unless the fabric is unreasonably close to the eyes.

niqab.jpg
You don't have to wear one.

Wearing the burqa is no easy task

By Sandra Milton Martelozzo
The University of Wollongong

Published May 30, 2010

Malalai Joya, an Afghan MP and a devout Muslim, did not pack her burqa when visiting Australia recently.

“It’s not only oppressive, but more difficult to wear than you might think. You have no peripheral vision. And it’s hot and suffocating under there," she said.

Wearing the burqa is no easy task - UPIU.com

and you are basing you facts on what? what you are saying is not a fact. it's a myth like i said.

Not quite.

Published May 30, 2010

Malalai Joya, an Afghan MP and a devout Muslim, did not pack her burqa when visiting Australia recently.

“It’s not only oppressive, but more difficult to wear than you might think. You have no peripheral vision. And it’s hot and suffocating under there," she said.

niqab.jpg

Published May 30, 2010

"Burqa":
Burqaface2th.jpg

Can you spot the difference?

niqab.jpg

Published May 30, 2010

"Burqa":
Burqaface2th.jpg

Can you?

Burqa: A burqa (Arabic pronunciation: [ˈbʊrqaʕ]; also transliterated burkha, burka or burqua from Arabic: برقع‎ burqu‘ or burqa‘ ) is an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions
[Wikipedia]

apples and oranges Ravi.

They were careful to write it without mentioning women...but only women wear the veil.

You are one ignorant bitch.

Just because traditionally only women wear the damned things doesn't mean the french were thinking "let's screw over Muslim women" when passing the law. Actually, the french are world renowned for their LOVE of women, so it's asinine to suggest they would target them with this law.

But you are asinine, so it fits.

and you are basing you facts on what? what you are saying is not a fact. it's a myth like i said.

Not quite.

Published May 30, 2010

in Afghanistan they wear burkha not niqab. with a burkha i could understand why she couldn't see but with a niqab you can see. but most women who cover their face wear the niqab. only in Afghanistan is the burka popular.

here is a niqab. notice the slit is open wide enough for peripheral vision
tumblr_l7kdx6xVad1qzs4bao1_500.jpg

here is a burkha. covers the eyes with net and slit is much more narrow
423.jpg

Last edited:

Yep. Women in Afghanistan wear garments with mesh screens. Any other questions?
So what?

It's part of wearing a burqa.

All head pieces are not alike, with burqas, but I suspect you know that. Regardless, any headgear that limits a driver's peripheral vision is a hazard. Any.

Get off the road if you're a hazard. Or move elsewhere where the hazards are the same for all on the road. It's simple.

"Burqa":
Burqaface2th.jpg

Can you?

Burqa: A burqa (Arabic pronunciation: [ˈbʊrqaʕ]; also transliterated burkha, burka or burqua from Arabic: برقع‎ burqu‘ or burqa‘ ) is an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions
[Wikipedia]

What a nasty religion.

I think that women shouldn't be forced to dress in a certain way by anyone...the government especially.

Which is why they did not exclude sexes and they actually went out of their way to mention equality of the sexes in this bill.

The legislation adopted Tuesday by the Senate, the upper house of the French Parliament, forbids people from concealing their faces in public. It makes no reference to Islam, and includes exceptions for people who need to cover up for work reasons, such as riot police and surgeons.

But it follows a year-long campaign by Frency President Nicolas Sarkozy’s ruling party against the burqa and niqab, head-to-toe robes worn by a small number of France’s Muslim women. The burqa is “a sign of enslavement and debasement,” Sarkozy said last year.

The bill is scheduled to come into force after six months, though it will be reviewed by France’s Constitutional Council before it takes effect. The Council, which reviews the constitutionality of laws after they are passed by Parliament but before they are put into force, has rejected several bills in recent years. It can censor all or part of the law deemed to contradict the nation’s bylaws.

The ban would apply to everyone in France, including visitors.

No First Amendment Here! France Bans Burquas, Niqabs - Law Blog - WSJ

Last edited:

So that isn't the same as a niqab, which has no screen. :eusa_wall:
I don't really care all that much nor do I care to care all that much. Both limit peripheral vision.

If they want to drive, then don't wear anything that limits peripheral vision. Burqa, niqab, or watermelon rind - don't care.

You want to make this religious, like the good little Muslim victim you strive to be, fine. It's not. It's safety of the greater good.

Funny, a student wearing a burqa was in my lab class in grad school. I told her she had to secure her clothing because she was in violation of OSHA. She created a stink about that, but I do like explicit OSHA standards - "loose, flowing clothing".

Too bad for her.

I think that women shouldn't be forced to dress in a certain way by anyone...the government especially.

Which is why they did not exclude sexes and they actually went out of their way to mention equality of the sexes in this bill.

The legislation adopted Tuesday by the Senate, the upper house of the French Parliament, forbids people from concealing their faces in public. It makes no reference to Islam, and includes exceptions for people who need to cover up for work reasons, such as riot police and surgeons.

But it follows a year-long campaign by Frency President Nicolas Sarkozy’s ruling party against the burqa and niqab, head-to-toe robes worn by a small number of France’s Muslim women. The burqa is “a sign of enslavement and debasement,” Sarkozy said last year.

The bill is scheduled to come into force after six months, though it will be reviewed by France’s Constitutional Council before it takes effect. The Council, which reviews the constitutionality of laws after they are passed by Parliament but before they are put into force, has rejected several bills in recent years. It can censor all or part of the law deemed to contradict the nation’s bylaws.

The ban would apply to everyone in France, including visitors.

No First Amendment Here! France Bans Burquas, Niqabs - Law Blog - WSJ
:lol: No wearing stilletto heels in public, boys.

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back