Fred Phelps has died

As much as he deserves a circus at his own funeral, I hope gays just ignore him....let him die without fanfare

He doesn't deserve it

this

I hope Code Pink shows up for the mo'fo's funeral.

I hope every Liberace impersonator in the United States attends.

I hope Ru Paul and the entire entourage of drag queens from Bourbon Street are there.

They say there will be no funeral.

I hope this doesn't mean they are gonna eat him or something like that.

I don't rejoice when someone dies. Even when it comes to those with very wayward beliefs.

It may be that we lose some of our humanity when we get joy and pleasure over one's death.

I don't rejoice when someone dies. Even when it comes to those with very wayward beliefs.

It may be that we lose some of our humanity when we get joy and pleasure over one's death.

I'd be lying if I said I was unhappy about it, his misguided beliefs inflicted pain on others. That said I don't wish him to hell either. I pray God has mercy on him as he does with all of us and hope he's with the Lord and all his misguided beliefs are now straightened out with the correct ones. I also hope his family/church will use this time to reflect on their activities and stop in favor of practicing their faith in a more helpful and worthy manner.

Hopefully, he will be judged as he judged everyone else.

Sorta wonder how atheists perceive such a death. Oh well - he's gone. Nothing will ever hurt him. He did his damage, and it's over.
In some respects Fred Phelps did gays a favor. He demonize them so much that reasonable people had to side with gays rather than be tied with Phelps.

Sorta wonder how atheists perceive such a death. Oh well - he's gone. Nothing will ever hurt him. He did his damage, and it's over.
In some respects Fred Phelps did gays a favor. He demonize them so much that reasonable people had to side with gays rather than be tied with Phelps.

Very true! I am absolutely against poor lifestyle choices, but damned be Mr. Phelps. My God demands I love everyone, no matter what choices personal lifestyle they choose.

Very true! I am absolutely against poor lifestyle choices, but damned be Mr. Phelps. My God demands I love everyone, no matter what choices personal lifestyle they choose.

Amen!

Some people are saying we shouldn't celebrate the death of Fred Phelps. Okay, I get the point. We're trying to be compassionate, enlightened, and wise.

Okay, I'm not celebrating.

But at the same time, neither am I forgetting the years and years of vileness, the malignant hatefulness, the deliberate perpetrations, the sheer malevolence of everything that he and his followers committed in the name of god. I refuse to forget the hurt and outrage he and his followers caused in thousands of good people who merely wanted to grieve in peace. And I cannot forgive the damage he and his followers did to the image of Christianity, a faith that once stood for forgiveness and love.

Some people say that celebrating his passing would make me as bad as him. I call bullshit on that.

People who have been hurt and outraged and traumatized by this evil old man have a right to feel their emotions. Phelps was an attention-whore, wallowing in the hatred he created, wanting others to hate him in return. He succeeded in generating hatred for himself and his family.

And while it's easy to be enlightened and say things as profound as "hatred is like drinking poison, hoping the other person will die," it's never as easy to put aside that emotion. When the anger is finally resolved, the result is glee. Even celebration.

So here we have the final resolution. Fred Phelps failed. He went to his grave alone, unloved, and unmourned. Fred Phelps is dead. We're still here. And yes, even the best of us, will admit to a simmering resentment of the whole Phelps Klan. So yes, we are allowed to celebrate the last failure of this terrible man. The world is a better place with one less hate-monger.

And no, that doesn't make me as bad as him. It makes me honestly human. It is simply me recognizing and voicing my own emotions in response to the final disappearance of a malignant and hurtful voice.

Later, when enough time has passed, when we have some perspective -- then we can ask, what happened to this human being to turn him into what he became? What do you have to do to a man to get him so fucked up? Later, we can ask that question and feel sorry for the hellish prison of Phelps' own sick psyche. Maybe he was suffering from some bizarre emotional derangement, maybe there was a physical cause, maybe he was torn by his own psychological demons. Maybe we can talk about this someday.

But right now -- those who have been hurt and outraged and traumatized -- please don't say they're not entitled to breathe a large sigh of release. Phelps is gone. We're still here.

Author: David Gerrold

Forum List

Back