from LBJ and Civil Rights to Trump and Free Speech Rights

When Lyndon Johnson was in Congress in the 1950s he had three of his employees drive his car back from Washington to Austin at the end of every legislative session. That trip took his employees through the deep south. In Johnson’s telling, this went on for years without incident and he was unaware of any issues with this trip.

All three employees were black.

One year, he asked the three employees to take his dog, Beagle, back to Austin with him. According to Robert A. Caro in Master of the Senate, one employee hesitated, explaining:

“It’s tough enough to get all the way from Washington to Texas. We drive for hours and hours. We get hungry. But there’s no place on the road we can stop and go in and eat. We drive some more. It gets pretty hot. We want to wash up. But the only bathroom we’re allowed in is usually miles off the main highway. We keep goin’ ‘til night comes – ‘til we get so tired we can’t stay awake anymore. We’re ready to pull in. But it takes another hour or so to find a place to sleep.

“You see, what I’m saying is that a colored man’s got enough trouble getting across the South on his own, without having a dog along.”

In Johnson’s telling, hearing this story was jarring enough to permanently convince him of the necessity of protecting his employees – and every other African-American – from discrimination.

We, as a society, do not have to allow private companies to violate Americans’ civil rights.
I call bullshit,,,

Lyndon Johnson opposed every civil rights proposal considered in his first 20 years as lawmaker

Your link makes no mention of this story at all. I call bullshit on your call of bullshit.

youre right it doesnt,,,but what it does tell us is he never supported civil rights until he was POTUS

He had to represent his constituents

As President, he muscled Civil Rights and anti Poverty legislation through Congress

He could have easily blocked it if he opposed it
he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

he didnt have to muscle dick because it was ready and waiting because he was stopping it for 20 yrs and then was for it,,,yeah fuck you and him

no wonder i hate fucking democrats

Actually he (and Humphrey and Mansfield) had to twist arms to get it done. Had a showdown with the Republican leader where he lectured him, "goddam it, your'e either the party of Lincoln or you're not".

The fact remains, your link has nothing to do with the car transport story.

As President, he muscled Civil Rights and anti Poverty legislation through Congress

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

he didnt have to muscle dick because it was ready and waiting because he was stopping it for 20 yrs and then was for it,,,yeah fuck you and him

The Republicans were largely the one behind the Civil Rights movement. The Southern Democrats fought it.
Northern politicians of both parties supported Civil Rights
Southern politicians of both parties, unanimously opposed it
and LBJ was a southerner
Yes he was....that is what is remarkable about him
Not a single southern legislator of either party supported Civil Rights legislation

LBJ signed it

Actually a couple of Southern Dems did, but zero Republicans.

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

As a Texas Senator, LBJ was expected to fulfil the demands of his constituents or not get re-elected

As President, LBJ embraced Civil Rights more than JFK ever had. LBJ was one of the more influential politicians in history. He would get into your wheelhouse and cajole you into voting his way.

LBJ did more for Civil Rights than any Presidenrt since Lincoln
liar,,,,his record proves otherwise
LBJs record of signing landmark Civil Rights legislation is unparalleled

20 no votes and one yes vote,,,yeah not so much,,,

Again you are looking at LBJ votes as a Texas Senator

As President, LBJ advocated, campaigned for and signed landmark Civil Rights legislation
and he later went on to create the worst damage the black community has ever seen,,,

Your link makes no mention of this story at all. I call bullshit on your call of bullshit.

youre right it doesnt,,,but what it does tell us is he never supported civil rights until he was POTUS

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

Actually he (and Humphrey and Mansfield) had to twist arms to get it done. Had a showdown with the Republican leader where he lectured him, "goddam it, your'e either the party of Lincoln or you're not".

The fact remains, your link has nothing to do with the car transport story.

then ignore it for fucks sake,,

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

The Republicans were largely the one behind the Civil Rights movement. The Southern Democrats fought it.
and LBJ was a southerner

Who hated Blacks, called them the N word, and only used them to buy votes. It is how he originally got elected.

As a Texas Senator, LBJ was expected to fulfil the demands of his constituents or not get re-elected

As President, LBJ embraced Civil Rights more than JFK ever had. LBJ was one of the more influential politicians in history. He would get into your wheelhouse and cajole you into voting his way.

LBJ did more for Civil Rights than any Presidenrt since Lincoln
liar,,,,his record proves otherwise
LBJs record of signing landmark Civil Rights legislation is unparalleled

20 no votes and one yes vote,,,yeah not so much,,,

Again you are looking at LBJ votes as a Texas Senator

As President, LBJ advocated, campaigned for and signed landmark Civil Rights legislation
and he later went on to create the worst damage the black community has ever seen,,,
You mean like allowing them to vote?

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

and LBJ was a southerner

Who hated Blacks, called them the N word, and only used them to buy votes. It is how he originally got elected.
For someone who hated blacks.....LBJ passed Civil Rights legislation, broke up the Jim Crow south and ensured the vote
He also passed poverty programs that helped blacks emensely

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

and LBJ was a southerner

Have yet to see any evidence that LBJ "hated blacks".

I dunno, if I hated blacks I wouldn't be hiring them to drive my car.

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

and LBJ was a southerner

For someone who hated blacks.....LBJ passed Civil Rights legislation, broke up the Jim Crow south and ensured the vote
he voted against it everytime he voted,,,and he didnt vote for it when he signed it because POTUS doesnt vote

he muscled it,,,WTF!!!!!

and LBJ was a southerner

Have yet to see any evidence that LBJ "hated blacks".

I dunno, if I hated blacks I wouldn't be hiring them to drive my car.
wouldnt surprise me since you have so much trouble seeing things right in front of you,,,

and LBJ was a southerner

he voted against it everytime he voted,,,and he didnt vote for it when he signed it because POTUS doesnt vote

There is no bigger vote than signing it into law

and LBJ was a southerner

thats not a vote,,,

and LBJ was a southerner

Wrong. LBJ voted for the CRA of 1957. Presumably 1960 as well but I can't find that vote.

and LBJ was a southerner

Wrong. LBJ voted for the CRA of 1957. Presumably 1960 as well but I can't find that vote.

well son of a bitch I stand corrected,,,so its 20 times no and one yes,,,

and LBJ was a southerner

thats not a vote,,,
No Shit Sherlock

The buck stops there
LBJ signed the legislation

thats not a vote,,,
No Shit Sherlock

The buck stops there
still doesnt mean he voted for it and wasnt a racist that destroyed the black community with his great society program,,,

thats not a vote,,,
No Shit Sherlock

The buck stops there
still doesnt mean he voted for it and wasnt a racist that destroyed the black community with his great society program,,,
How does helping people with healthcare, education, jobs training and a safety net destroy them?

thats not a vote,,,
No Shit Sherlock

The buck stops there
How does helping people with healthcare, education, jobs training and a safety net destroy them?
the results speak for themselves,,,and the goal was votes not care

thats not a vote,,,
No Shit Sherlock

The buck stops there
the results speak for themselves,,,and the goal was votes not care
What results?

That poor people have healthcare, food and a place to live?
That they have access to education, job training and jobs placement?

Forum List

Back