From Old Case; Illegals Who Steal Your Identity Cannot Be Prosecuted

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
"Immigrants who use false documents cannot be prosecuted for identity theft unless they know those documents belong to a real person, the Supreme Court ruled last week."
Supreme Court makes decision on identity theft

So when some illegal skips to Mexico and leaves a house to be repossessed by the banks and wrecks your credit, there is nothing the government can do about it because these guys never know how actually has the identity they are stealing.

A friend of mine was penalized by not getting hired for a year as his identity had been stolen by an illegal who ran off from NC after running up huge debts and a criminal record. It took my friend a whole year to straighten it all out.

But they cant be prosecuted as this might cost corporations some proifits.

Charged that Somali pirate for the oil tanker thing. Why can't we charge foreign nationals for id theft?

“If it turns out that the number belongs to a real person,” Justice Alito wrote, “two years will be added to the defendant’s sentence, but if the defendant is lucky and the number does not belong to another person, the statute is not violated.”

“If it turns out that the number belongs to a real person,” Justice Alito wrote, “two years will be added to the defendant’s sentence, but if the defendant is lucky and the number does not belong to another person, the statute is not violated.”

A social security number is a 9 digit number and if all combinations of 9 digits were valid social security numbers the number possible would be
10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 1 000 000 000

Roughly a 1 in 3 chance the number's in use

The problem is in the prosecution.

"In Flores-Figueroa's case, the court could not prove that he had knowingly used the identity of a real person, so he could not be tried for identity theft...

"The ruling will make it easier for undocumented immigrants accused of misdemeanors to argue that they're innocent of those crimes,..."

So the illegal gets a set of false ID, and he has no idea of whether it is a real living person who he is stealing from, he doesnt care. But with this ruling, the prosecution has to prove he knew it was, and that in effect gives these criminals carte blanche to use whatever they can get. It wont get prosecuted 99% of the time as these guys enver know if their bought IDs are real or dead or what not.

A social security number is a 9 digit number and if all combinations of 9 digits were valid social security numbers the number possible would be
10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 1 000 000 000

Roughly a 1 in 3 chance the number's in use

It is less than that because not all possible numbers are in use (for example Delaware will never use all their potential numbers, nor will Connecticut, RI, Alaska, etc) and there are a lot of dead SSNs that are not supposed to ever be re-issued, in theory as IUI.

There are millions of SSNs belonging to people over the age of 120 IIRC.

The problem is in the prosecution.

"In Flores-Figueroa's case, the court could not prove that he had knowingly used the identity of a real person, so he could not be tried for identity theft...

"The ruling will make it easier for undocumented immigrants accused of misdemeanors to argue that they're innocent of those crimes,..."

So the illegal gets a set of false ID, and he has no idea of whether it is a real living person who he is stealing from, he doesnt care. But with this ruling, the prosecution has to prove he knew it was, and that in effect gives these criminals carte blanche to use whatever they can get. It wont get prosecuted 99% of the time as these guys enver know if their bought IDs are real or dead or what not.
Makes me wonder, could they just say they didn't know?
I guess it would be up to the prosecutor to PROVE they knew..

"Immigrants who use false documents cannot be prosecuted for identity theft unless they know those documents belong to a real person, the Supreme Court ruled last week."
Supreme Court makes decision on identity theft

So when some illegal skips to Mexico and leaves a house to be repossessed by the banks and wrecks your credit, there is nothing the government can do about it because these guys never know how actually has the identity they are stealing.

A friend of mine was penalized by not getting hired for a year as his identity had been stolen by an illegal who ran off from NC after running up huge debts and a criminal record. It took my friend a whole year to straighten it all out.

But they cant be prosecuted as this might cost corporations some proifits.
So does this mean I can have an alternate identity, and I won't get prosecuted?

Isn't the point of identity theft to use someone else's real identity?

Our world has gone mad.

Isn't the point of identity theft to use someone else's real identity?

Our world has gone mad.

Yeah, but in this case the idea is to forge documents and to do that you usally have to cobble together real data to use.

Like the Baby Cemetery trick to get a birth certificate and then apply for a SS card, from there its pretty easy to build your own set of docs.

Forum List

Back