Fusion and quantum tunneling

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Listening to a science podcast on nuclear fusion and the needed temperatures in a star is vastly insufficient to enable protons to overcome being repelled by each other and not fusing
How does fusion energy in stars occur if the temp is too cold

From what I gathered it’s due to “ Quantum tunneling “

A particle also has a wave function probability factor
. This means every proton particle has some probability of automatically being close enough to another protons nuclear force to enable fusion

Just utterly brilliant. Genius

Listening to a science podcast on nuclear fusion and the needed temperatures in a star is vastly insufficient to enable protons to overcome being repelled by each other and not fusing
How does fusion energy in stars occur if the temp is too cold
As I understand it, it has to do with the intense gravity being increasingly applied to a tiny area, and the heat generated by the friction caused by the movement of the hydrogen and helium atoms in that area.

Still, how and when the heat and compression translate to fusion is beyond me. So far.

As I understand it, it has to do with the intense gravity being increasingly applied to a tiny area, and the heat generated by the friction caused by the movement of the hydrogen and helium atoms in that area.

Still, how and when the heat and compression translate to fusion is beyond me. So far.
...and should remain outside a 150 million kilometer radius of earth.

I am taking about before that . QT gets the protons close enough so that the nuclear strong forces take affect

These wave functions have a wide probability ranges on where the particles will be .
They move instantly

I finally produce an intelligent post and all I get is crickets

Folks only apply to my posts when I have a meltdown

Forum List

Back