Gattaca: Democracy in the Arts?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Imagine if the American actor Ethan Hawke makes a film about an Ivy League graduate who becomes the head coach of the New Jersey Devils NHL ice-hockey team which is under a new management program to recruit ethnic minority players (to become the pioneering 'race-politics' ice-hockey team in the NHL).

Imagine that our hypothetical idealistic Devils coach (named Tom Harrison) is reluctant about coaching ethnic minorities since he comes from a Caucasian and race-secluded New England background and is struggling personally to understand how to embrace the idealism required to lead this new race-politics sports initiative.

Such a film would be rather inspiring and relevant to our modern discussions about race-politics negotiations. We can imagine clever film screenplay lines like, "Hey, we may be black, but it doesn't mean we're 'devils'!"

I chose Ethan Hawke, since he's already made the species-ethics oriented films Gattaca (a fictional story about an imaginary Eugenics society wrestling with the ethics of employment ambitions) and Alive (a true-story about survivors of a South American rugby team stranded in the snowy mountains after a plane crash and forced to consider cannibalism for survival), so the question is, how would our consumerism-intensive and media-focused Trump Administration comment on such a politics-culture film about 'species-consciousness'?

Here's a hypothetical dialogue between our fictional Devils coach (Harrison) and a black ice-hockey player named Evan Reider (perhaps portrayed by Donald Glover --- The Lion King).

====

HARRISON: Are you proud of your natural talent in ice-hockey?
REIDER: I'm one of those rare African-Americans who even like ice-hockey.
HARRISON: Well, then, you're in a position to contribute to this team (and to society!).
REIDER: I have my ghosts, Coach.
HARRISON: There's no time for that, son...
REIDER: I celebrate Kwanzaa, not Christmas.
HARRISON: That's alright. Just be a team-player on the rink.
REIDER: I remember that scene in the film Omen II in which a Caucasian gets trapped in an ice-pond.
HARRISON: That's an alarming film about the AntiChrist. Does that scene haunt you, Evan?
REIDER: I think about negotiating sports and team spirit with spirituality.
HARRISON: Hey, you don't have to be white to be scared of the AntiChrist!
REIDER: Hahaha. Right. But you do have to be white to be a popular ice-hockey player.
HARRISON: Maybe...
REIDER: What do we do about marketing?
HARRISON: I'll handle media issues; you have fitness worries to prioritize...
REIDER: I believe in this team, Coach!

====

devilera.jpg

Forum List

Back