🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

George Will says W 2003 decision is worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history

NotfooledbyW

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2014
The last 11 years have been filled with hard learning. The 2003 invasion of Iraq, the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history, coincided with mission creep (“nation building”) in Afghanistan.

George Will A Republican rethinking of foreign policy New Hampshire Columns

He ends this rebuke of Bush 43 with this "Obama is right that there is much to rethink."

The Obama haters on the USMB would be well advised to learn how to think.

Is Rand Paul really gong to replace McCain and Graham as the GOP's new face of foreign and military policy that veers closer to the isolationist policy of his father?

Many events (U.S. military misadventures since 2001, the Syrian civil war, the rise of the Islamic State, the spinning centrifuges of Iran’s nuclear weapons program) and one senator (Rand Paul) have reopened a Republican debate that essentially closed when Dwight Eisenhower won the 1952 Republican presidential nomination. One reason he sought it was to block Ohio’s Sen. Robert Taft..

This is more indication that it was not a failure or mistake to abide by the terms of the 2008 Bush Maliki SOFA when Obama presided over the end of the war that truly was the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history.

So now you're a George Will fan?
Who cares? Bush won the Iraq War, Obama lost it.
Obama lost in Afghanistan
Obama's foreign policy is the worst in history.

The last 11 years have been filled with hard learning. The 2003 invasion of Iraq, the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history, coincided with mission creep (“nation building”) in Afghanistan.

George Will A Republican rethinking of foreign policy New Hampshire Columns

He ends this rebuke of Bush 43 with this "Obama is right that there is much to rethink."

The Obama haters on the USMB would be well advised to learn how to think.

Is Rand Paul really gong to replace McCain and Graham as the GOP's new face of foreign and military policy that veers closer to the isolationist policy of his father?

Many events (U.S. military misadventures since 2001, the Syrian civil war, the rise of the Islamic State, the spinning centrifuges of Iran’s nuclear weapons program) and one senator (Rand Paul) have reopened a Republican debate that essentially closed when Dwight Eisenhower won the 1952 Republican presidential nomination. One reason he sought it was to block Ohio’s Sen. Robert Taft..

This is more indication that it was not a failure or mistake to abide by the terms of the 2008 Bush Maliki SOFA when Obama presided over the end of the war that truly was the worst foreign policy decision in U.S. history.

You should change your handle to FooledbyW -- W as in Will, that is.
You conveniently (or ignorantly) omitted this significant caveat...

“The 2001 AUMF that Congress passed in the fearful days following the Sept. 11 attacks has been called the most far-reaching, open-ended expansion of the executive’s powers in U.S. history. Though the AMUF’s mere 60 words made no mention of al-Qaeda or Afghanistan, they provided President George W. Bush the statutory authority for the war in Afghanistan and on ‘terror,’ and the legal underpinnings for almost any use of U.S. military force to counter terrorism anywhere across the globe for the past 13 years.”

The 2001 AUMF could not have anticipated today’s variables. The AUMF of 2002 (Iraq) followed the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, which passed the House 360-38 and the Senate unanimously, and declared it U.S. policy to “remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein.”

Certainly a terrible decision, but I can think of a half dozen that must rank as much worse.

But certainly I think everyone realises what a terrible mistake the Iraq invasion was, and it baffles me that even the most staunch Republican would say otherwise. It is always better to learn from history than just pretend that an obvious failure was a notable success.

And yet not a single poster on the board actually believes that, and neither do you.

My god man....what would it cost you to actually be objective and a little honest?

RoMa 10164482
You conveniently (or ignorantly) omitted this significant caveat

There is no caveat there that contradicts or denies my points. And you have ignorantly or conveniently omitted an explanation of the significance of the additional language that you have cited, Do you have your own explanation or do you believe posting a wall of text will get you by?

And yet not a single poster on the board actually believes that, and neither do you.

My god man....what would it cost you to actually be objective and a little honest?
We knew if obama pulled out of Iraq what would happen and it did
We know we are not winning in Afghanistan
We know obama's policies have isolated us from our allies
Russia is doing things now that would be unheard of with a stronger president.

RoMa 10164482
You conveniently (or ignorantly) omitted this significant caveat

There is no caveat there that contradicts or denies my points. And you have ignorantly or conveniently omitted an explanation of the significance of the additional language that you have cited, Do you have your own explanation or do you believe posting a wall of text will get you by?
You missed the context that the Iraq war was a culmination of bipartisan support and in the shadow of 9-11. It was a Monday-morning quarterback assessment. Not an indictment of Bush, per se.

Sounds to me like was being objective. And I agree with him.
And you are arrogantly presumptuous.

Certainly a terrible decision, but I can think of a half dozen that must rank as much worse.

What are your top six and how do you rank them and Iraq March 2003.

Remember that the decision by Bush to invade Iraq sometime between March 10 2003 and the 17th was to start a conflict leading to US involvement in a major and decade long war that was not remotely necessary at the time of decision. There was a very powerful peaceful and diplomatic means clearly available to Bush that he chose to ignore and overrule. The invasion of Iraq was a war of US aggression that lacked having the weakest justification in terms of a threat to the regions security or our security. Bush's decision has to be viewed in terms of the actual lack if threat and terrorist alliance that Iraq posed at the time of the invasion.

Matt 10164515
I Honestly believe that some of Obamas polices during the arab spring with Eytpt, Lybia, syria and iraq rank far worse than the invasion of iraq.

If you honestly believe I must assume you can explain why.

And you must be dismissing the impact that that Sunni take down in Iraq which was the direct result of the March 2003 decision by Bush to force the UN inspectors out and use military force in Iraq to do what those inspectors could have done without war.

You state that Obama made mistakes in policy during the Arab Spring. What is the worst policy action that he took in your blue dog mind?

BB 10164429

How exactly did Obama lose in Afghanistan? He got a ten year Security deal there with no timeline to withdraw, while Bush got a mere three year deal and agreement to pull all troops out by that time. Yet you call what Bush got 'winning' and what Obama got 'losing'.. There is not an objective thought in your head.

bigrebnc1775 said:
We knew if obama pulled out of Iraq what would happen and it did

Petraeus denies that you can know that. I believe the General whom Republicans trusted so much when Iraq was spiraling out of control in 2006.

Obama did not pull out of Iraq any faster than Bush agreed that they would be gone. You are blaming Bush's policy for withdrawing troops, not Obama's.

No, Bush didn"t. You lie the moment you open your mouth, you disgusting fuckwad.

Now, on to the OP: interesting stuff, considering the George Will sang Pres. Bush's praises for a long, long, long time.

Sounds to me like was being objective. And I agree with him.
And you are arrogantly presumptuous.

You don't agree with Rabbi's statement anymore than he means it himself.

Rabbi will always just say exactly what he thinks the GOP wants him to say because he is a mindless drone. Whatever Bush did was great! What Obama did was terrible!

And yet at some level he also understands that Bush would have made many of the same decisions that Obama made, because they seemed the most prescient at the time; just as we understand that in some cases Obama continued policies Bush supported for the same reason.

Or do you honestly think that an administration's actions in countries as turbulent as Libya, Syria or Iraq are based on some kind of liberal vs conservative strategy, and never the 'twain shall meet?

Last edited:

It would cost him the price of acquiring an ounce of character.

No, only the blind partisans refuse to believe that.
It is really funny. The libs here simply cannot believe we won the Iraq War. No matter how many times I point out we achieved every objective set in the Congressional Resolution the answer is always "Ya-butt". There's always a caveat, always a carp, always a gripe. They cant let it go.

You support lying cheating scumbag Democrats and applaud them for lying.
What could you possibly know about character?

You support lying cheating scumbag Democrats and applaud them for lying.
What could you possibly know about character?

I PROVED you have none in that racism thread where you lied about your racism and kept lying about it even after your verbatim quotes had been shoved in your face.

That's what I know.

Forum List

Back