Geothermal poised to make solar/wind obsolete

So....while the climate crusaders continue to harp on the solar/wind fantasies, here comes geothermal technology to piss all over dinosaur thinking....
:rock:

Uses waaaaay less land ( have you seen some of the goofball solar panel shit in China?:deal:)

A big :oops8: for the climate k00ks

Energy company plans to dig 6 to 12 miles to make geothermal energy accessible to all
Don't hold your breath. Due to pressure and temperature, 6 miles is about the limit of pressure control equipment and wellheads. Metallurgy of tubulars will be challenged by temperature. In other words, they may have discovered a way to drill below 6 miles but the rest of the well design has a long way to go.

Not exactly where I was going. Maybe you are correct that every single thing they did was in the name of safety and that their motives were pure. Maybe. Or maybe their motives weren't pure and they wanted to kill nuclear power for whatever reason. Or maybe it was a little of both.

What killed nuclear were two main issues ... one was safety ... the other was industry greed ...

The tubing issue at San Onofre as well a number of other plants was a design flaw ... something that couldn't be corrected ... so these plants were shut down and demo'ed ...

The other BIG problem was industry being asked to self-regulate ... so it was INDUSTRY who short-changed safety until we damn near had an accident ... well ... sort of ... there are those who claim TMI was an accident ... I'm more in the "tragedy narrowly averted" crowd myself ... government required a containment structure which, by chance, contained the radiation spill ... government regulation gets lucky every once in a while ...

It's expensive sending a technician twenty miles down the road to inspect emergency pressure relief valves ... but they do when the reactor is shut down and cooled off ... like TMI #1 was ... just made financial sense to inspect the valves on TMI #2 while the tech was there ... what could go wrong? ...

Your claim of government impure motives might fly well in the Soviet Union and post-war Japan ... where government owns the means of nuclear electric production ... but in the United States most of these plants are privately owned ... with shareholders ... and plant managers are responsible to the shareholders first, government regulators second, customers third or fourth, environment eighth or ninth, and of course no one thinks of Him above ... the Fitzchivalry method of priority ...

Much cheaper to dump spent fuel rods into the ocean ... why should any power plant need more than one phone line ... containment structures, what a waste of tax-payer money ... what next, no sex with 14-year-old girls? ...

You're right ... government shouldn't be allowed to regulate anything ... industry always does what's best for all ... we've never had an environmental disaster in the oil industry, not a single one ... Prince William Sound is in BETTER shape today than it even has been ... we could certainly trust BP to use FIVE cement plugs even if one usually holds, now shouldn't we? ...

Everyone is against government regulations until they're burying their own children killed by a drunk driver ... then the 0.05 BAC limit ain't good enough (the legal limit in Utah, damn them Republicans) ...
Why is it that when some people want to make a point, they go totally ridiculous and build the biggest straw man they can, then proceed to knock it down like they've done something significant? No one is against all regulation, that's stupid. Many are, however, against onerous, unnecessary regulation designed to do nothing more than drive up costs and delays. But you knew that.

What killed nuclear were two main issues ... one was safety ... the other was industry greed ...

The tubing issue at San Onofre as well a number of other plants was a design flaw ... something that couldn't be corrected ... so these plants were shut down and demo'ed ...

The other BIG problem was industry being asked to self-regulate ... so it was INDUSTRY who short-changed safety until we damn near had an accident ... well ... sort of ... there are those who claim TMI was an accident ... I'm more in the "tragedy narrowly averted" crowd myself ... government required a containment structure which, by chance, contained the radiation spill ... government regulation gets lucky every once in a while ...

It's expensive sending a technician twenty miles down the road to inspect emergency pressure relief valves ... but they do when the reactor is shut down and cooled off ... like TMI #1 was ... just made financial sense to inspect the valves on TMI #2 while the tech was there ... what could go wrong? ...

Your claim of government impure motives might fly well in the Soviet Union and post-war Japan ... where government owns the means of nuclear electric production ... but in the United States most of these plants are privately owned ... with shareholders ... and plant managers are responsible to the shareholders first, government regulators second, customers third or fourth, environment eighth or ninth, and of course no one thinks of Him above ... the Fitzchivalry method of priority ...
Must be the inner conspiracy theorist in me that thinks politicians can be swayed by competing energy industries. Of course we know that never happens, right? The free market is truly free. That's why we have the push for renewable energy and EV's.

Much cheaper to dump spent fuel rods into the ocean ... why should any power plant need more than one phone line ... containment structures, what a waste of tax-payer money ... what next, no sex with 14-year-old girls? ...

You're right ... government shouldn't be allowed to regulate anything ... industry always does what's best for all ... we've never had an environmental disaster in the oil industry, not a single one ... Prince William Sound is in BETTER shape today than it even has been ... we could certainly trust BP to use FIVE cement plugs even if one usually holds, now shouldn't we? ...

Everyone is against government regulations until they're burying their own children killed by a drunk driver ... then the 0.05 BAC limit ain't good enough (the legal limit in Utah, damn them Republicans) ...
Smug As a Thug Who Gets His Hug

Obama is responsible for the BP oil spill. He's on your side, but was too lazy and sure of himself to prove it by making sure the drillers were following regulations.

Over-reacting out of guilt, the Obaminable Snowjob Man then proceeded to shut down all drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, which led to the recession that cost your Party the mid-terms.

Why is it that when some people want to make a point, they go totally ridiculous and build the biggest straw man they can, then proceed to knock it down like they've done something significant? No one is against all regulation, that's stupid. Many are, however, against onerous, unnecessary regulation designed to do nothing more than drive up costs and delays. But you knew that.

I'm in the habit of treating ding like a 17-year-old child ... just for the fun of it ... I like the way it knocks his balance off and it takes two or three posts to recover ... I didn't mean for you to think I was treating you like a 17-year-old ... I'm strictly insulting ding ... strange that he laughs and you're the one insulted ... very strange ...

Must be the inner conspiracy theorist in me that thinks politicians can be swayed by competing energy industries. Of course we know that never happens, right? The free market is truly free. That's why we have the push for renewable energy and EV's.

I think you might be a bit confused about what a conspiracy theory is ... one important feature is that they are secret ... and pretty much everyone knows that Big Oil has sat a few US Presidents ... Rex Tillerson as Sec'y of State under Trump ... George XLIII ... hell bells, Dick Chaney ran Hallburton from the Naval Observatory ... how many Big Oil CEOs are there at the highest level of government? ...

What's the other side have? ... Quid Pro Joe? ... the Ukrainians learned the hard way not to trust him ... does look like Trump was right after all ... son-of-a-gun ... Al Gore? ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

Watching Democrats clean up the environment is as funny as watching Republicans repeal Obamacare ...

I'm in the habit of treating ding like a 17-year-old child ... just for the fun of it ... I like the way it knocks his balance off and it takes two or three posts to recover ... I didn't mean for you to think I was treating you like a 17-year-old ... I'm strictly insulting ding ... strange that he laughs and you're the one insulted ... very strange ...
It's probably because I'm so self assured. :)

I think you might be a bit confused about what a conspiracy theory is ... one important feature is that they are secret ... and pretty much everyone knows that Big Oil has sat a few US Presidents ... Rex Tillerson as Sec'y of State under Trump ... George XLIII ... hell bells, Dick Chaney ran Hallburton from the Naval Observatory ... how many Big Oil CEOs are there at the highest level of government? ...

What's the other side have? ... Quid Pro Joe? ... the Ukrainians learned the hard way not to trust him ... does look like Trump was right after all ... son-of-a-gun ... Al Gore? ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

Watching Democrats clean up the environment is as funny as watching Republicans repeal Obamacare ...
That was sorta my point. You think nuclear is costly because nuclear. I think nuclear had some help in being costly because man is man.

That was sorta my point. You think nuclear is costly because nuclear. I think nuclear had some help in being costly because man is man.

Nuclear is expensive because of the costs of cleaning up accidents ... and as we've learned from the aviation industry, not all accidents are because of human failure ... just most is all ...

Oxygen makes a great primary coolant ... and without all that change-in-state nonsense water gives us ... the only real problem with oxygen is we have to make sure nothing catches fire ... c.f. Windscale ...

Nuclear is expensive because of the costs of cleaning up accidents ... and as we've learned from the aviation industry, not all accidents are because of human failure ... just most is all ...

Oxygen makes a great primary coolant ... and without all that change-in-state nonsense water gives us ... the only real problem with oxygen is we have to make sure nothing catches fire ... c.f. Windscale ...
Here's a pretty balanced article.

Smug As a Thug Who Gets His Hug

Obama is responsible for the BP oil spill. He's on your side, but was too lazy and sure of himself to prove it by making sure the drillers were following regulations.

Over-reacting out of guilt, the Obaminable Snowjob Man then proceeded to shut down all drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, which led to the recession that cost your Party the mid-terms.

Don't just disagree, post proof of your claim.

Or is some rich kid stopping you?

So....while the climate crusaders continue to harp on the solar/wind fantasies, here comes geothermal technology to piss all over dinosaur thinking....
:rock:

Uses waaaaay less land ( have you seen some of the goofball solar panel shit in China?:deal:)

A big :oops8: for the climate k00ks

Energy company plans to dig 6 to 12 miles to make geothermal energy accessible to all
Of course this ignores cost per kwh of delivered energy. And in many areas, the heat is down there, but not the water. So you inject the water. Hopefully there are no faults nearby. Ask the people in Oklahoma what happens when you lubricate faults.

Of course this ignores cost per kwh of delivered energy. And in many areas, the heat is down there, but not the water. So you inject the water. Hopefully there are no faults nearby. Ask the people in Oklahoma what happens when you lubricate faults.

L...........M..........B...........O

The thinking of the green contingent going to be nuked in the coming weeks and months when energy costs go through the roof and with it, mega-issues with more inflation and food shortages. The public isn't going to be going for k00k thinking from the fairy tale inspired hopes of the green goofballs. :2up: Just watch this shit unfold........I just hope my shoulder holds up from spiking so many footballs in here between now and the end of 2022.:abgg2q.jpg:

This will be a kick to the nutsack lesson for the green bozos......costs matter to the public

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/two-oil-price-scenarios-one-bad-and-one-catastrophic

Here's a pretty balanced article.

No it's not ... it doesn't even bring up the clean-up costs ... nor the cost of storing spent nuclear fuel rods ... that article is completely one-side and biased towards the Oil Industry ... even though it confirms everything I've posted in the matter ... it's still WRONG ...

The story starts in the 1950s, when the Atomic Energy Commission supported the first wave of commercial reactors ...

Yeah ... everyone gets this wrong ... don't feel bad ... our story starts on Aug 6th, 1945, at about 9:47 am Tokyo time ... in the Navy's Chief-of-Staff office in DC ... diesel motors have to be aspirated ... so diesel submarines have to run on the surface to run their main engines ... nuclear reactors don't have to be aspirated ... thus nuclear submarines could run underwater for longer that a human soul can ... so you can see why it was the US Navy who first started working on nuclear electricity ...

It wasn't too long after that the US Navy decided against molten sodium as a primary coolant ... it spite all the important performance and safety attributes of sodium, the Navy was uncomfortable trying to maintain a half ton of the stuff underwater ... it seems sodium makes a little bit of a popping sound when it mixes with water, and the Soviets could pick this up and know the location of our submarine ... and the US Navy had designed and did some testing by 1950, with something in Congress' hands by 1951 ... the USS Nautilus was launched in 1955 with the Westinghouse light water design reactor ... which makes sense, if the primary cooling system fails, well, you're surrounded by coolant, just pump sea water through the reactor ... easy peasy ...

It's critical to remember that by the time anyone got around to commercial nuclear power plants ... Westinghouse was already producing light water reactors ... [shrugs shoulders] ... far cheaper just buying reactors from Westinghouse than designing and building your own ... here's where corporate greed comes in, these early designers knew they were taking a big risk ... that accidents would be inevitable with the light water design ... industry planned on the tax-payer cleaning up the mess ... ha ha ha ... which is why they don't carry insurance on these power plants ... no one's stoopid enough to underwrite projects that will fail catastrophically ...

The rest of that article is just more liberal tofu-puke and only bears resemblance to reality if one takes enough LSD ... these things are true with any and all innovations and industries ... were those first drillers at Spindletop prepared for any and all circumstances? ... did the Chinese properly prepare if one of their bio-weapons escaped containment? ... the first Egyptian pyramid is bent halfway up ... Apollo 14 had to go to the Apollo 13 landing site to pick up the fake Moon rocks dropped by the Apollo 12 crew ... the Warren Commission was told what to report ... examples go on and on ... mark my words, the first quantum computer will unfurl a dimension and wink our current universe out of existence ... you can bet the superfluous 'n' in your username here ...

Like saying poop is the reason assholes taste bad ...

:up: No it's not ... it doesn't even bring up the clean-up costs ... nor the cost of storing spent nuclear fuel rods ... that article is completely one-side and biased towards the Oil Industry ... even though it confirms everything I've posted in the matter ... it's still WRONG ...

The story starts in the 1950s, when the Atomic Energy Commission supported the first wave of commercial reactors ...

Yeah ... everyone gets this wrong ... don't feel bad ... our story starts on Aug 6th, 1945, at about 9:47 am Tokyo time ... in the Navy's Chief-of-Staff office in DC ... diesel motors have to be aspirated ... so diesel submarines have to run on the surface to run their main engines ... nuclear reactors don't have to be aspirated ... thus nuclear submarines could run underwater for longer that a human soul can ... so you can see why it was the US Navy who first started working on nuclear electricity ...

It wasn't too long after that the US Navy decided against molten sodium as a primary coolant ... it spite all the important performance and safety attributes of sodium, the Navy was uncomfortable trying to maintain a half ton of the stuff underwater ... it seems sodium makes a little bit of a popping sound when it mixes with water, and the Soviets could pick this up and know the location of our submarine ... and the US Navy had designed and did some testing by 1950, with something in Congress' hands by 1951 ... the USS Nautilus was launched in 1955 with the Westinghouse light water design reactor ... which makes sense, if the primary cooling system fails, well, you're surrounded by coolant, just pump sea water through the reactor ... easy peasy ...

It's critical to remember that by the time anyone got around to commercial nuclear power plants ... Westinghouse was already producing light water reactors ... [shrugs shoulders] ... far cheaper just buying reactors from Westinghouse than designing and building your own ... here's where corporate greed comes in, these early designers knew they were taking a big risk ... that accidents would be inevitable with the light water design ... industry planned on the tax-payer cleaning up the mess ... ha ha ha ... which is why they don't carry insurance on these power plants ... no one's stoopid enough to underwrite projects that will fail catastrophically ...

The rest of that article is just more liberal tofu-puke and only bears resemblance to reality if one takes enough LSD ... these things are true with any and all innovations and industries ... were those first drillers at Spindletop prepared for any and all circumstances? ... did the Chinese properly prepare if one of their bio-weapons escaped containment? ... the first Egyptian pyramid is bent halfway up ... Apollo 14 had to go to the Apollo 13 landing site to pick up the fake Moon rocks dropped by the Apollo 12 crew ... the Warren Commission was told what to report ... examples go on and on ... mark my words, the first quantum computer will unfurl a dimension and wink our current universe out of existence ... you can bet the superfluous 'n' in your username here ...

Yep...quantum computers already exist. DEW's too.
We're fucked....most have no clue. 2022....the year we start seeing shit the public thought inconceivable. It's going to be a hoot. Lol....and btw....soon, climate change will be on nobody's radar.

Why did you omit Environmentalists destructive role against Nuclear Power?

No it's not ... it doesn't even bring up the clean-up costs ... nor the cost of storing spent nuclear fuel rods ... that article is completely one-side and biased towards the Oil Industry ... even though it confirms everything I've posted in the matter ... it's still WRONG ...

So you are saying America abandoned nuclear power because of a bad design?

Forum List

Back