Geothermal poised to make solar/wind obsolete

So you are saying America abandoned nuclear power because of a bad design?

BINGO ... with molten sodium, no experiment in The Ukraine ... Fukoshima just simply cooled down ... they used fire extinguishers at Windscale ...

Breeder reactors are much more expensive, but they don't have the long term spent fuel rod storage problem ... industry in the 1950's choose light water reactors because ... well ... that quarter's dividend payments ...

At every turn, industry choose short term profits over long term public health ... greed ... and now nobody trusts them ... I don't blame them ...

BINGO ... with molten sodium, no experiment in The Ukraine ... Fukoshima just simply cooled down ... they used fire extinguishers at Windscale ...

Breeder reactors are much more expensive, but they don't have the long term spent fuel rod storage problem ... industry in the 1950's choose light water reactors because ... well ... that quarter's dividend payments ...

At every turn, industry choose short term profits over long term public health ... greed ... and now nobody trusts them ... I don't blame them ...
So the root cause of America abandoning nuclear power is greed?

So the root cause of America abandoning nuclear power is greed?

No ... the root cause is start-up costs ... still cheaper to throw up gas burning power plants ... with the advantage of placing gas burners in politically unstable regions and not worry about evil dictators making carbon dioxide bombs ...

No ... the root cause is start-up costs ... still cheaper to throw up gas burning power plants ... with the advantage of placing gas burners in politically unstable regions and not worry about evil dictators making carbon dioxide bombs ...
That was the position and point of the link I shared.

Of course, the only problems are...

Geothermal is even more expensive, requires a uniquly engineered plant at each site. Will lose all its energy as soon as you taketh lid off the teapot. Geothermal is also toxic as hell. Requires constant drilling or franking.

The core of the earth. Sounds great, let's pour cold water on it and see what happens.

That was the position and point of the link I shared.

Read the article again ... they didn't say this was the "root" cause ... they said it was the "main" cause ... the main cause is industry greed and the lack of public trust this greed (and all the accidents this greed caused) has fostered ... this is rooted in the POTENTIAL start-up costs ... industry greed short-changes safety at every opportunity, these high start-up costs aren't actually paid, the work isn't done ... for example, in a place subject to tsunamis every 150 years, we only checked back 125 years and determined it was perfectly safe to install our emergency diesel generators on the wharf by the ocean ... what could possibly go wrong? ... whose insurance covers the lost agricultural lands for 10,000 years ...

Read the article again ... they didn't say this was the "root" cause ... they said it was the "main" cause ... the main cause is industry greed and the lack of public trust this greed (and all the accidents this greed caused) has fostered ... this is rooted in the POTENTIAL start-up costs ... industry greed short-changes safety at every opportunity, these high start-up costs aren't actually paid, the work isn't done ... for example, in a place subject to tsunamis every 150 years, we only checked back 125 years and determined it was perfectly safe to install our emergency diesel generators on the wharf by the ocean ... what could possibly go wrong? ... whose insurance covers the lost agricultural lands for 10,000 years ...
The exact quote was, "Cost is a big one. More than safety or waste issues, cost is nuclear's Achilles' heel." Which is the main point of the article. Specifically how other countries were able to keep their costs down, especially South Korea.

The exact quote was, "Cost is a big one. More than safety or waste issues, cost is nuclear's Achilles' heel." Which is the main point of the article. Specifically how other countries were able to keep their costs down, especially South Korea.

What is the cost of 1,000 sq miles of prime agricultural ground that has been poisoned for 10,000 years (give or take) ...

We've been reminded here recently that The Ukraine was the "breadbasket of the Soviet Union" ... if that is so, then the Pripyat River basin is the breadbasket of The Ukraine ... worse than unproductive, the forest and marshes have returned and all that manual labor clearing that land is gone ... just to save a few coppers on the cost of a containment structure ...

The sad part is no one got any profits from Chernobyl ... all the shareholders got was a tee-shirt ... do you think folks from Tama, Iowa and Johnson counties along the Iowa River bottomlands would take a tee-shirt for all their holdings? ...

Cost would be the problem, but only if we spent the money ... and we can start with Hanford and Oak Ridge ... scandalous these sites haven't been cleaned up yet ... and we keep adding to the list ... we should STOP making radioactive materials until we LEARN how to manage them better ...

What is the cost of 1,000 sq miles of prime agricultural ground that has been poisoned for 10,000 years (give or take) ...

We've been reminded here recently that The Ukraine was the "breadbasket of the Soviet Union" ... if that is so, then the Pripyat River basin is the breadbasket of The Ukraine ... worse than unproductive, the forest and marshes have returned and all that manual labor clearing that land is gone ... just to save a few coppers on the cost of a containment structure ...

The sad part is no one got any profits from Chernobyl ... all the shareholders got was a tee-shirt ... do you think folks from Tama, Iowa and Johnson counties along the Iowa River bottomlands would take a tee-shirt for all their holdings? ...

Cost would be the problem, but only if we spent the money ... and we can start with Hanford and Oak Ridge ... scandalous these sites haven't been cleaned up yet ... and we keep adding to the list ... we should STOP making radioactive materials until we LEARN how to manage them better ...
Yes, it's a shame we have not cleaned up our messes.

Not sure what that has to do with the contention that the US should be able to build nuclear power plants at costs that other countries did.

. and we can start with Hanford and Oak Ridge ... scandalous these sites haven't been cleaned up yet ..

I worked as an Environmental Engineer (Director) at Hanford. I was in charge of Environmental at the Tank Farms.

Back in the 1990s my company submitted a proposal to the DOE to completely clan up the entire site in five years. The cost was going to be significantly less than what the (then) current operating budget for the site for that five year period.

Our proposal was rejected. It was technically sound but the DOE turned it down.

The reason (that we were never officially told) was because it would done away with thousands of Union jobs. The Democrats in the Slick Willy administration did not want to lose the Union support.

The Democrat congressional delegation from Washington state did everything possible to prevent us from having an expedient clean up effort because it would be a loss in revenue for the state and the loss of bloated Union jobs.

Here it is over 20 years later and the damn place still hasn't been cleaned up. Bureaucratic bullshit.

I worked as an Environmental Engineer (Director) at Hanford. I was in charge of Environmental at the Tank Farms.

Back in the 1990s my company submitted a proposal to the DOE to completely clan up the entire site in five years. The cost was going to be significantly less than what the (then) current operating budget for the site for that five year period.

Our proposal was rejected. It was technically sound but the DOE turned it down.

The reason (that we were never officially told) was because it would done away with thousands of Union jobs. The Democrats in the Slick Willy administration did not want to lose the Union support.

The Democrat congressional delegation from Washington state did everything possible to prevent us from having an expedient clean up effort because it would be a loss in revenue for the state and the loss of bloated Union jobs.

Here it is over 20 years later and the damn place still hasn't been cleaned up. Bureaucratic bullshit.

Yup between politics and ecoloonies the whole Nuclear industry suffers.

The waste problem primarily exist BECAUSE of politics getting in the way of long known solutions going back to the 1970's.

FFTF should have stayed in operation a lot longer but again brain dead politics shuts it down years too early.

Yup between politics and ecoloonies the whole Nuclear industry suffers.

The waste problem primarily exist BECAUSE of politics getting in the way of long known solutions going back to the 1970's.

FFTF should have stayed in operation a lot longer but again brain dead politics shuts it down years too early.
It made me sick when the FFTF shut down.

It was a test bed for cutting edge fusion development in addition to being able to make medical isotopes. However, the filthy ass Environmental Wackos owned the Democrats in the state and they were able to get it closed.

Liberals are dumbasses.

Geothermal is a good idea. Nukes are not.
geothermal is more toxic than nukes, cesium and strontium come to mind, off the top of my head. I worked at the geothermal plants in Calipatria California. One Gallon of Brine, weighs 10lbs, a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. What is that extra 2lbs. Maybe mostly arsenic?

Either way, geothermal is described as a tea pot, take off the lid and what happens? You lose pressure. It happened the Geysers, it happens in Calipatria.

Geothermal is thee most expensive plant to build, each one is unique, due to each geothermal well having an unique chemical make-up.

I have seen people in space suits vacuuming dirt lots and roads around the geothermal plants in Calipatria california.

Forum List

Back