Going Clear , a documentary on Scientology

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
is on HBO. Its a very strange cult, I'd call it a religion , as they are tax exempt, but its the strangest things. I can't believe some of these actors believe in it, I bet its like a money laundering thing for some of them. Tom
Cruz seems to be their star and he gets his perks. Just thought I'd bring it up in case you have nothing to do than watch a 2 hour doc on a strange cult.
Going Clear l HBO Documentary Films l HBO

The more unbelievable a religion is, the more strongly people seem to believe. What would appear to an objective observer as impossible to sell turns out, obviously, to be precisely what some minds seek.

We finally watched it last night and yes, its just freaky strange.

OTOH, I believe all religions are cults.

I have been involved in a number of cults in my search for truth, but scientology was not one of them.
I could smell a rat from outside the building as soon as they offered me a free personality test. My later investigation of them was they were a cult that wanted your money, and that is before I had heard of Xenu.

The more unbelievable a religion is, the more strongly people seem to believe. What would appear to an objective observer as impossible to sell turns out, obviously, to be precisely what some minds seek.

Is there any such thing as a 'believable' religion?

I have been involved in a number of cults in my search for truth, but scientology was not one of them.
I could smell a rat from outside the building as soon as they offered me a free personality test. My later investigation of them was they were a cult that wanted your money, and that is before I had heard of Xenu.

"... a cult that wanted your money ..."

True of all religions.

There is no other reason for a religion to exist.

"... a cult that wanted your money ..."

True of all religions.

There is no other reason for a religion to exist.

True of all organised religions. By definition they need a tax base and a profit margin.

Pedestrian Pakoras

If you're a prison inmate, and the prison library carries a book about Scientology, you might find the philosophy's approach to 'empiricism colloquialization' conducive for meditation necessary for productive incarceration/rehabilitation.

For those of us on the outside world, we can appreciate how an American celebrity such as Tom Cruise would make us feel welcomed and invited to understand/discuss the virtues of Scientology.

I'm glad HBO is covering this topic, since it's been popular in TV (ads, etc.) since the release of "Dianetics" (L. Ron Hubbard).

I'm a Catholic by faith/practice, and I find that society stimulation in the form of pop art (i.e. American comic books) both complements my intellectual analysis of religion/philosophy and also gives me a laissez-faire release from it, and Dianetics/Scientology is oddly a nice mix of philosophy and nachos.

:afro:

Dianetics

hg.jpg

is on HBO. Its a very strange cult, I'd call it a religion , as they are tax exempt, but its the strangest things. I can't believe some of these actors believe in it, I bet its like a money laundering thing for some of them. Tom
Cruz seems to be their star and he gets his perks. Just thought I'd bring it up in case you have nothing to do than watch a 2 hour doc on a strange cult.

Most americans already know about scientology------on what planet were you born?

Is there any such thing as a 'believable' religion?

What an odd question. Clearly there is not a religion that you find believable, but why do you suggest that in order for something to be believable it must coincide with your views? Kind of egocentric don't you think?

BTW...yes the Scientologists are kooks in my opinion.

Tkhe

Most americans already know about scientology------on what planet were you born?

Oh I knew about it of course , but not the stuff that those who have been in it for decades know.

Forum List

Back