Going to be a big door swinging in Washington DC

And leaves the US without envoys until appointed and approved...
You like drama, don't you?
"But despite the prospect of imminent vacancies at posts around the world, U.S. embassies are likely to retain leadership as deputies fill in for the short term. “The number twos are career foreign service officers and more than capable of stepping into the roles,” said the source who spoke with"
Trump tells Obama's ambassadors to leave by Inauguration Day

Trump denies grace periods to Obama’s ambassadors
A chargé d’affaires, a role usually held by a designated senior career foreign service officer, will maintain the functions of the embassy while the nominated ambassador goes through Senate confirmation. But this arrangement is not ideal, Henrikson says.

“A charge-d'affair, they're usually not in the position to do anything other than to maintain continuity,” Henrikson says. “That is to say, they're very unlikely to be given themselves, individually, any kind of instructions to negotiate something new. They really want just to maintain, I wouldn't say the status-quo necessarily, but to maintain things progressing as they have been.”
Hot air, dramatizing the situation. Did you cry when Obama pinked Bush appointees? I am just looking for the hypocrisy part of the fabricated outrage.

Were they granted exceptions and grace periods? You keep avoiding the real issue here.

From my link-
Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips

By Glenn Kessler
The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said.

This article was posted in another thread. It deserves it's own thread. What an incredibly petty, callous and vindictive thing to do - upending people's lives just because you can? Seriously?

In Break With Precedent, Obama Envoys Are Denied Extensions Past Inauguration Day
WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day, according to several American diplomats familiar with the plan, breaking with decades of precedent by declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods.

The mandate — issued “without exceptions,” according to a terse State Department cable sent on Dec. 23, diplomats who saw it said — threatens to leave the United States without Senate-confirmed envoys for months in critical nations like Germany, Canada and Britain. In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.

...A senior Trump transition official said there was no ill will in the move, describing it as a simple matter of ensuring that Mr. Obama’s overseas appointees leave the government on schedule, just as thousands of political aides at the White House and in federal agencies must do. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity about internal deliberations, said the ambassadors should not be surprised about being held to a hard end date.

The directive has nonetheless upended the personal lives of many ambassadors, who are scrambling to secure living arrangements and acquire visas allowing them to remain in their countries so their children can remain in school, the diplomats said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly on the matter.

W. Robert Pearson, a former ambassador to Turkey and a scholar at the Middle East Institute in Washington, said the rule was “quite extraordinary,” adding that it could undermine American interests and signal a hasty change in direction that exacerbates jitters among allies about their relationships with the new administration.

....Some expressed dismay that Mr. Trump, whose wife, Melania, has chosen to stay in New York to avoid moving the couple’s 10-year-old son, Barron, to a new school midyear, would not ensure that such allowances were made for American ambassadors.

They "shouldn't be surprised"? If it breaks with decades of precedent, they of course they would be surprised. No ill will? Really?

It's not like these folks intended to stay in their current positions anyway.

No one on the left seemed to care that none of Obama's secret service people and staff were able to spend any holidays with their families for 8 years. Obama's went to Hawaii every Christmas.

And that is the same with
"But despite the prospect of imminent vacancies at posts around the world, U.S. embassies are likely to retain leadership as deputies fill in for the short term. “The number twos are career foreign service officers and more than capable of stepping into the roles,” said the source who spoke with"

A chargé d’affaires, a role usually held by a designated senior career foreign service officer, will maintain the functions of the embassy while the nominated ambassador goes through Senate confirmation. But this arrangement is not ideal, Henrikson says.

“A charge-d'affair, they're usually not in the position to do anything other than to maintain continuity,” Henrikson says. “That is to say, they're very unlikely to be given themselves, individually, any kind of instructions to negotiate something new. They really want just to maintain, I wouldn't say the status-quo necessarily, but to maintain things progressing as they have been.”
Hot air, dramatizing the situation. Did you cry when Obama pinked Bush appointees? I am just looking for the hypocrisy part of the fabricated outrage.

Were they granted exceptions and grace periods? You keep avoiding the real issue here.

Obama did the same-
44 - Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips
This article was posted in another thread. It deserves it's own thread. What an incredibly petty, callous and vindictive thing to do - upending people's lives just because you can? Seriously?

In Break With Precedent, Obama Envoys Are Denied Extensions Past Inauguration Day
WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day, according to several American diplomats familiar with the plan, breaking with decades of precedent by declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods.

The mandate — issued “without exceptions,” according to a terse State Department cable sent on Dec. 23, diplomats who saw it said — threatens to leave the United States without Senate-confirmed envoys for months in critical nations like Germany, Canada and Britain. In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.

...A senior Trump transition official said there was no ill will in the move, describing it as a simple matter of ensuring that Mr. Obama’s overseas appointees leave the government on schedule, just as thousands of political aides at the White House and in federal agencies must do. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity about internal deliberations, said the ambassadors should not be surprised about being held to a hard end date.

The directive has nonetheless upended the personal lives of many ambassadors, who are scrambling to secure living arrangements and acquire visas allowing them to remain in their countries so their children can remain in school, the diplomats said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly on the matter.

W. Robert Pearson, a former ambassador to Turkey and a scholar at the Middle East Institute in Washington, said the rule was “quite extraordinary,” adding that it could undermine American interests and signal a hasty change in direction that exacerbates jitters among allies about their relationships with the new administration.

....Some expressed dismay that Mr. Trump, whose wife, Melania, has chosen to stay in New York to avoid moving the couple’s 10-year-old son, Barron, to a new school midyear, would not ensure that such allowances were made for American ambassadors.

They "shouldn't be surprised"? If it breaks with decades of precedent, they of course they would be surprised. No ill will? Really?
Opps!

No. Not an oops.

Every new administration does that - EXCEPT - they make exceptions, and grant grace periods to allow families with children in school to complete the terms. That is the issue.

So we should keep someone in that country in a diplomatic post for the children?

Do you even fathom how stupid that sounds?

Did the military allow my kids to stay in school or did I have to move mid-year?

My oldest daughter attended about 7 different school before she hit middle school and I left the military.

If it's so stupid, why was it done for decades? Why are we paying the millions for the secret service to keep Melania and Barron in Trump Tower so HE can finish out his school year?

Were the leftards crying when Obama did same?

The rightards can't seem to comprehend that the issue is not that they are pinked, but that he is refusing all grace periods and making no exceptions - a departure from normal precedents.

Now, if you can show us that Obama did that as well, I'd be interested in seeing your evidence.

Emptying all these embassies at once it a great means of destabilization.

Is he going to have ambassadors ready to move in immediately?

No. He isn't.

That is a very big problem.

Think of the Mideast, Africa, South America and 3rd world Asia. Lots of problem areas. His million-dollar donors won't want to work there.
What's the big problem? What catastrophe will occur if we don't have an ambassador to Germany for a few months? I think we'll discover that the world will get along just fine without them.

No one on the left seemed to care that none of Obama's secret service people and staff were able to spend any holidays with their families for 8 years. Obama's went to Hawaii every Christmas.

I have no idea and I really don't care about their grace periods. They are not people who have to move to a trailer park because daddy got pinked from his well paying job because it was outsourced to Mexico and he is not able to make payments for the subdivision house. They are affluent and it is safe to say rich people who will move at state expense back to the U.S. It is no big deal for them and it certainly won't break my heart. My heart breaks for the people whose jobs are outsourced.

Obama did the same-

Opps!

No. Not an oops.

Every new administration does that - EXCEPT - they make exceptions, and grant grace periods to allow families with children in school to complete the terms. That is the issue.

So we should keep someone in that country in a diplomatic post for the children?

Did the military allow my kids to stay in school or did I have to move mid-year?

My oldest daughter attended about 7 different school before she hit middle school and I left the military.
I went to 17 different schools before I graduated from high school due to dad being transferred or sent to VietNam so we moved in with grandparents... 17!

I wouldn't wish that on any other kid, evah!!!

No, the most important reason they should be allowed to stay, is not to leave their positions without anyone to serve us...staying until there is a replacement is not something out of the ordinary, it is usually protocol, or at least a standard...and also a courtesy, that makes sense on many levels.....

I doubt that any of these people are living from paycheck to paycheck, if you get my drift.

Maybe Trump just wanted to totally minimize their damage?

No. He isn't.

Think of the Mideast, Africa, South America and 3rd world Asia. Lots of problem areas. His million-dollar donors won't want to work there.
What's the big problem? What catastrophe will occur if we don't have an ambassador to Germany for a few months? I think we'll discover that the world will get along just fine without them.
Many of these people bought their appointments. They won't be missed and won't be surprised they are going. Another leftard storm in a teacup.

I doubt that any of these people are living from paycheck to paycheck, if you get my drift.

Exactly. What if they decided to behave like Obama??? :)

Were the leftards crying when Obama did same?

The rightards can't seem to comprehend that the issue is not that they are pinked, but that he is refusing all grace periods and making no exceptions - a departure from normal precedents.

Now, if you can show us that Obama did that as well, I'd be interested in seeing your evidence.
When Joe Blow loses his job without any notice because the company moved to abroad, I don't hear you people crying. Why are you so concerned about rich people whose lives will be not affected at all.

Obama did the same-

Opps!

No. Not an oops.

If it's so stupid, why was it done for decades? Why are we paying the millions for the secret service to keep Melania and Barron in Trump Tower so HE can finish out his school year?

You don't think those Secret Service agents would not be assigned similar duties in Washington or wherever the President happens to be?

Obama did the same-

Opps!

No. Not an oops.

I went to 17 different schools before I graduated from high school due to dad being transferred or sent to VietNam so we moved in with grandparents... 17!

I wouldn't wish that on any other kid, evah!!!

No, the most important reason they should be allowed to stay, is not to leave their positions without anyone to serve us...staying until there is a replacement is not something out of the ordinary, it is usually protocol, or at least a standard...and also a courtesy, that makes sense on many levels.....

They serve themselves, not us.

I have no idea and I really don't care about their grace periods. They are not people who have to move to a trailer park because daddy got pinked from his well paying job because it was outsourced to Mexico and he is not able to make payments for the subdivision house. They are affluent and it is safe to say rich people who will move at state expense back to the U.S. It is no big deal for them and it certainly won't break my heart. My heart breaks for the people whose jobs are outsourced.
Exactly. And if the school issue is so important I'm sure they could afford suites in a nice hotel for a couple of weeks so the kids don't miss school, private tutors. Whatever. They aren't being thrown on the scrap heap.

Exactly. What if they decided to behave like Obama??? :)
Exactly.

Why take the risk considering the 0% benefit to the USA of keeping them on?

It is not like the embassies cannot function without the figure heads whose only qualification was that they gave millions to Obama.

No. He isn't.

Many of these people bought their appointments. They won't be missed and won't be surprised they are going. Another leftard storm in a teacup.
Ah the old equestrian class...

Leave in place a fifth column whose loyalty is not to America, rather to a tin-pot refugee from some Kenyan benighted village?

Yeah, I can see how that makes sense to you liberals.

BTW, do you really think that, had America been nutty enuff to have elected Her Thighness that she would have done else?

Forum List

Back