Gold Rush-Era Discards Could Fuel Cellphones, TVs

An interesting piece @ Gold Rush-Era Discards Could Fuel Cellphones, TVs that makes you wonder what else the 49ers could've mined for if they knew what it would someday be worth. And, wonder how many modern-day placer miners are gonna double check their tailings?

I agree. The fact that there were overlooked elements discarded in the rush for gold is hardly surprising. What I find anmazing is that we actually have evidence of a worthwhile article from NEWSMAX!!! :eek:

An interesting piece @ Gold Rush-Era Discards Could Fuel Cellphones, TVs that makes you wonder what else the 49ers could've mined for if they knew what it would someday be worth. And, wonder how many modern-day placer miners are gonna double check their tailings?

:eusa_whistle:

Interesting.. You know who else is sitting on $BILL in rare earth? Afghanistan.. Is that why we didn't want to leave so soon?

Rare earth minerals find in Pacific could spark Japan-Hawaii stand-off - Telegraph

Explorers from Japan claim to have found more than 100bn tonnes of rare earth minerals, which are used in the manufacture of electronic goods like hybrid cars and flat-screen televisions.

The sought-after deposits could spark a battle between Japan, Hawaii and Tahiti, which are near to where the minerals have been located.

Although in the middle of international water, the Japanese scientists claim the minerals can be easily extracted, having pinpointed their presence in sea mud across 78 locations up to 20,000 feet under the sea.

Yasuhiro Kato, an associate professor of earth science at the University of Tokyo, who led the explorers, said: "Just 0.4 square mile of deposits will be able to provide one-fifth of the current global annual consumption.

"Sea mud can be brought up to ships and we can extract rare earths right there using simple acid leaching. Using diluted acid, the process is fast, and within a few hours we can extract 80pc to 90pc of rare earths from the mud."

Seems we have all that we need in places that are much easier to get. Time for the Pacific Rim nations to work out an agreement for mutual benefit.

:doubt:
The sought-after deposits could spark a battle between Japan, Hawaii and Tahiti, which are near to where the minerals have been located.

Hawaii is 3,850 miles from Japan
Hawaii to Tahita is 2631 miles
Tahiti to Japan is 6009 miles​

How the hell can these three places have territorial disputes?

Seems to me these resources have got to be mostly in international waters meaning any nation on earth can mine them.

Last edited:
:doubt:

Hawaii is 3,850 miles from Japan
Hawaii to Tahita is 2631 miles
Tahiti to Japan is 6009 miles​

How the hell can these three places have territorial disputes?

Seems to me these resources have got to be mostly in international waters meaning any nation on earth can mine them.

Damned if I know, but look at the present posturing concerning the mineral deposits now accessable in the Arctic Ocean, in what should be international waters.

Forum List

Back