GOP hardliners push to cut off IVF expansion for veterans

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021

GOP hardliners push to cut off IVF expansion for veterans​

Freedom Caucus Members object to IVF treatment for veterans trying to have children. They appear to be objecting to provisions permitting IVF for unmarried veterans and those in same sex marriages. A question that arises is...why are they involving themselves in the healthcare plans of veterans, especially considering the vast vast majority of politicians aren't.

A group of right-wing House Freedom Caucus members on Wednesday sent a letter to the Department of Veterans Affairs opposing the agency's recent expansion of in vitro fertilization access.
Why it matters: It's a rare example of vocal Republican opposition to fertility treatments as the party has tried hard to distance from an Alabama Supreme Court ruling last month that froze IVF services in the state.

Driving the news: At issue is the the VA's announcement last week that it will provide IVF services to unmarried veterans and those in same-sex marriages, as well as those who cannot create their own sperm or eggs.

• Four Freedom Caucus members, led by Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.), wrote in a letter to VA Secretary Denis McDonough that they have "strong objections" to the new policy.
  • "IVF is morally dubious and should not be subsidized by the American taxpayer," they continued, echoing opposition from anti-abortion groups to the creation of "surplus" embryos as part of the IVF process.
  • The letter includes a list of questions for McDonough about the storage and treatment of surplus embryos and the cost and legality of the policy.

Unless it's due to a strictly service related injury as to why they can't conceive they should have to pay for it on their own dime.

We don't need lezbians and fag vets scamming the system.
Its promised healthcare for service.

GOP hardliners push to cut off IVF expansion for veterans​

Freedom Caucus Members object to IVF treatment for veterans trying to have children. They appear to be objecting to provisions permitting IVF for unmarried veterans and those in same sex marriages. A question that arises is...why are they involving themselves in the healthcare plans of veterans, especially considering the vast vast majority of politicians aren't.

I am a veteran and I am against it because that money can be better spent somewhere else.

Veterans deserve medical treatment they need in return for their service. But fertilization has absolutely nothing with their particular medical and health needs. Would they like to have a baby? Sure, but having a baby has nothing to do with their health or well being. That money could be spent on veterans with chronic problems, cancer or whatever or to improve facilities for veterans with real physical and emotional issues they need help with to improve their lives.

If we took better care of veterans to begin with they could handle their fertilization needs on their own.

But trying to tack on single people and gay couples getting government funded fertilization I don't like that because I am a firm believer in you help out traditional families with a husband and a wife because that dynamic is the core of America. And if you can't help them with fertilization and only them then it shouldn't be done for anyone.

This isn't a good issue for Republicans, I hope their politicians continue to shout their views from the mountaintops.

I am a veteran and I am against it because that money can be better spent somewhere else.

Veterans deserve medical treatment they need in return for their service. But fertilization has absolutely nothing with their particular medical and health needs. Would they like to have a baby? Sure, but having a baby has nothing to do with their health or well being. That money could be spent on veterans with chronic problems, cancer or whatever or to improve facilities for veterans with real physical and emotional issues they need help with to improve their lives.

If we took better care of veterans to begin with they could handle their fertilization needs on their own.

But trying to tack on single people and gay couples getting government funded fertilization I don't like that because I am a firm believer in you help out traditional families with a husband and a wife because that dynamic is the core of America. And if you can't help them with fertilization and only them then it shouldn't be done for anyone.
How do you know that their problems with starting a family is not due to any part to their service?

IVF treatment consists of creating zygotes outside the womb and either freezing or destroying most of them.

Forum List

Back