Gov Executive Experience, Businessman and Military Veteran = Attractive Candidate?

Gov Executive Experience, Businessman and Military Veteran = Attractive Candidate?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I did not vote for Carter in 1976 primaries

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008

Add born again Christian to the mix.

Would a Christian Presidential candidate with executive experience, a business background, and military experience be attractive to you?

Last edited:
I did not vote for Jimmy Carter in either the 1976 or 1980 Democratic primaries.

But I do know that resume alone attracts lots of Americans

It would all depend on how good he was at those jobs.

did the biz thrive?
did he have to lie about what he did in the military to look cooler?
how did his state fair?

by themselves, I would want to give a look.

But clearly carter was a train wreck

did the biz thrive?
how did his state fair?

more myth? ov vey!

Government is not a business, businessmen tend to treat it like such and the little guy tends to get hurt when that happens, so being a businessman or an executive is not high on the list of what I want in a candidate.

did the biz thrive?
how did his state fair?

more myth? ov vey!

What myth?

you're not actually saying that carter was not a horrid train wreck of a Pres?

b/c the amount of revision that would require is beyond your skills.

The reason veterans can make good executives is they are trained to make mission focused decisions producing minimal unintended consequences (collateral damage).

The reason executives used to make good elected officials is their focus on costs in relation to benefits. As corporations grew in size, executives' direct involvement in cost/benefit decisions diminished. After Reagan turned the US Treasury into a corporate welfare agency and increased the share paid by blue collar folks, executives stopped worrying about stopping the growth of government subsidizing their profits.

There is no longer a basis for expecting quality elected officials to come from either the military or business. Or the priesthood. Or anywhere else.

The quality of leadership in the United States was expected to decline after IKE. No one known to me expected it to fall all the way to the bottom of the barrel by 1964. Or the barrel to fall off a cliff in 1980. Or the barrel to sink to the bottom of the sea in 2000.

Despite Dante's little game, this is how I choose who I vote for.

1 - First I look at their positions on the issues. If I can't support their positions, everything else is moot and I won't support or vote for them

2 - Then I look at their professional background and success. Again, if it doesn't impress me, I won't vote for them.

3 - Then I look at their personal lives. If they have something in their lives I can't condone, then I don't support them.

4 - Finally I look at who else is publically supporting them and why. That could be a deal killer also.

did the biz thrive?
how did his state fair?

more myth? ov vey!

What myth?

anyone?

To liberals, such a person would be disqualified just on the basis of his being a Christian.

yet you have all those left progressive Churches.

don't let facts and reality get in the way of your neurosis.

did the biz thrive?
how did his state fair?

more myth? ov vey!

What myth?

For one Carter put Paul Volker in charge of the FED. Volker ended stagflation under Reagan.

Presidency of Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Lots of things Carter did are listed here

Despite Dante's little game, this is how I choose who I vote for.

1 - First I look at their positions on the issues. If I can't support their positions, everything else is moot and I won't support or vote for them

2 - Then I look at their professional background and success. Again, if it doesn't impress me, I won't vote for them.

3 - Then I look at their personal lives. If they have something in their lives I can't condone, then I don't support them.

4 - Finally I look at who else is publically supporting them and why. That could be a deal killer also.

Using your criteria you would have to rule out George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and others...

:laugh2:

more myth? ov vey!

What myth?

For one Carter put Paul Volker in charge of the FED. Volker ended stagflation under Reagan.

Presidency of Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Lots of things Carter did are listed here

Nothing disproves the train wreck.

even as a kid, I could tell things were bad, in HS when it came to be his turn for us to learn things, our history teach skimmed him as quickly as possible.

What myth?

Nothing disproves the train wreck.

even as a kid, I could tell things were bad, in HS when it came to be his turn for us to learn things, our history teach skimmed him as quickly as possible.

you're actually blaming Carter for the mess the world was in in the late 1970s? you seriously are stuck being a child.

:rofl:

Born again Christian? Haven't seen a smart one yet. Christian, certainly.

Dems in congress, led by Kennedy, ruined Carter. He wanted to cut spending on domestic. Too bad he helped the Shah...Feck John Andersen. lol

Forum List

Back