🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gov. Hutchinson caves into intolerant homosexual radicals

I guess Hutchinson saw Pence have the legislation stuffed down his throat in Indiana and have the legislature nowhere to be found while he took the flack for it

Well the RFRA legislation stands in both states now with the clarifications.

Smart move to counter act the mega lies being told about the legislation.

With discrimination restrictions, it should stand. Religion is worthy of protection. But not as a justification for exemption from PA laws.

Well here's where it is going to get interesting. When the Supremes ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby they effectively expanded RFRA to include "closely held for profits". We'll have to wait and see what is going to come before the States courts.

Gay rights isn't the only deal here. From what I've been reading the courts have seen all sorts of cases. Some really wild and crazy ones.
Amish buggies, hunting moose for First Nation funeral rituals etc.

Actually the original Federal law was passed to protect First Nations religious use of land and peyote. And that bill in 1993 came about with huge bi partisan support not just politically but the ACLU teaming up with Evangelicals.

What I learned on the internet last week :lol:
It will be interesting to see if Hobby Lobby really has any legs. In that case, the govt failed totally to show Hobby Lobby's action actually prevented ANY employee from not getting a requested contraceptive, because the insurance companies were going to provide them anyway .... so long as pregnancy and childbirth were also being provided.

I guess Hutchinson saw Pence have the legislation stuffed down his throat in Indiana and have the legislature nowhere to be found while he took the flack for it

With discrimination restrictions, it should stand. Religion is worthy of protection. But not as a justification for exemption from PA laws.

Well here's where it is going to get interesting. When the Supremes ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby they effectively expanded RFRA to include "closely held for profits". We'll have to wait and see what is going to come before the States courts.

Its hard to say. PA laws are well established. It would be legal chaos for the court to make laws voluntary on a religious basis. In the Hobby Lobby case, the court took the following position:

But Congress, in enacting RFRA, took the position that "the compelling interest test as set forth in prior Federal court rulings is a workable test for striking sensible balances between religious liberty and competing prior governmental interests." 42 U. S. C.§2000bb(a)(5). The wisdom of Congress's judgment on this matter is not our concern. Our responsibility is to enforce RFRA as written, and under the standard that RFRA prescribes, the HHS contraceptive mandate is unlawful.

Enforcing RFRA as written.....we could be entering an era of religiously motivated Sovereign Citizen movements. Where on the basis of religion, you can ignore any law.

I doubt it. It would be monumentally stupid for the court to do this. But it could happen.

Why are so many homosexuals determined to use government to force themselves upon people who feel uncomfortable around them or are offended by homosexual activities?
And by 'force themselves upon people', you mean seeking to be treated equally and with simple human dignity? Its not unreasonable to order a cake from a cake baker. Or order pizza from a pizzeria. It is unreasonable to deny both because of the sexual orientation of the customer.

Why do our politicians cave into this small intolerant loud mouthed radical group who wants to use government force to impinge upon the American People's right to be free to mutually agree in their contracts and associations?

Probably because the 'loud mouthed group' is the majority. And because they're right.

Are you really suggesting the majority of American People do not want to retain their inalienable right to mutually agree in their contracts and associations?

JWK

I'm suggesting the issue was settled with abolishment of White Only lunch counters. Which your argument would defend.

I love how people fighting for equal treatment under the law is somehow being "Intolerant" to bigotry.

News Flash, we don't tolerate bigotry in the USA. You wanting the right to discriminate against someone will not stand. And you cannot use religion to justify it like you did for slavery and Jim Crow. We see past your BS. Its over.

Fundies want to be protected from sharia law, but want their "Christian law" respected with regard to gays. HYPOCRITES!!!

Hugely. Its not 'religious liberty' they want. Its the supremacy of Christianity over US secular law that they seek. And Christianity specifically.

Actually gives gays more rights than they had before

Irony is so sweet

Forum List

Back