Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

Exactly. If there is a market demand for these things private industry would have done it, or woud be seeking investors.

All this si is trying to spend our way out of debt for what? Temporary jobs? Another losing proposition as AMTRAK?

Temporary? This could take a generation and then be ongoing work for a lot of people.

If congress ever starts thinking about jobs rather than how big and hard they can screw working people, they might actually earn their own keep.

Instead of doing make-work, how about just pass out the money?

Same effect, isn't it?

Exactly. If there is a market demand for these things private industry would have done it, or woud be seeking investors.

All this si is trying to spend our way out of debt for what? Temporary jobs? Another losing proposition as AMTRAK?
hey, more government employees that could unionize
;)
a double whammy

It's more sinister than that. It's a federal intrusion into a regional issue for nothing but political power. It's like MARTA in Atlanta. Too big to undo, too inefficient to pay for itself, and now too many people are dependent on it.

Just like the 'Riderless Express' we have here where I live...

JTA SKYWAY

Temporary? This could take a generation and then be ongoing work for a lot of people.

If congress ever starts thinking about jobs rather than how big and hard they can screw working people, they might actually earn their own keep.

Same effect, isn't it?

No long term government bureaucracy and cost if they just handed out $280,000 to each of the $20,000 new job candidates. Lesseee, if the average salary is $50K that would provide capital for each person to live for over 5 years while they either retrained or started their own businesses. Not that I'm a fan of handouts because I'm not. But if the purpose of this project is to create jobs for income then let's do it with the least amount of long term boat-anchor costs.

Same effect, isn't it?

No long term government bureaucracy and cost if they just handed out $280,000 to each of the $20,000 new job candidates. Lesseee, if the average salary is $50K that would provide capital for each person to live for over 5 years while they either retrained or started their own businesses. Not that I'm a fan of handouts because I'm not. But if the purpose of this project is to create jobs for income then let's do it with the least amount of long term boat-anchor costs.

Hmmmm...50k Salary...x 20K candidates...comes out to $1B, No?

hey, more government employees that could unionize
;)
a double whammy

It's more sinister than that. It's a federal intrusion into a regional issue for nothing but political power. It's like MARTA in Atlanta. Too big to undo, too inefficient to pay for itself, and now too many people are dependent on it.

JTA SKYWAY

Oh absolutely! The whole purpose of of that thing was to get federal dollars to "provide jobs" (sound familiar?) and now the city, state, and federal governments have to subsidize the cost or give back all the federal money used to build it. Jacksonville is stuck with this.

1700 daily riders at a cost of $200 Million just to build. Not maintain, just build. In the 22 years it has been built, that's a cost of $14 per rider per day and they've only been paying 35 cents to a dollar per trip. This is just what it cost to build the damn thing. Not including maintenance and operating costs, a 22 year payback on this boondoggle is $14 per day. Who in the world is going to pay $14 to ride 2 miles?

None of this makes any sense.

JTA SKYWAY

Oh absolutely! The whole purpose of of that thing was to get federal dollars to "provide jobs" (sound familiar?) and now the city, state, and federal governments have to subsidize the cost or give back all the federal money used to build it. Jacksonville is stuck with this.

1700 daily riders at a cost of $200 Million just to build. Not maintain, just build. In the 22 years it has been built, that's a cost of $14 per rider per day and they've only been paying 35 cents to a dollar per trip. This is just what it cost to build the damn thing. Not including maintenance and operating costs, a 22 year payback on this boondoggle is $14 per day. Who in the world is going to pay $14 to ride 2 miles?

None of this makes any sense.

Just build things that leaves taxpayers holding the bag...the liability.

A terriffic waste. Istated early in this thread of 'short term gains'.

This is an example of Symbolism over substance.

Same with HSR...as it is with AMTRAK...it will always be in the red leaving the taxpayers paying for it in perpetuity...until funding is KILLED.

and what about those communities in between?
the ones that will have the tracks and the noise, but the trains wont stop there, or if they DO stop, BOOM, there goes the "high speed"
What communities would those be? There is virtually nothing between Miami and Orlando once you get away from the coast.

Scott is a toad. I would certainly use this train as would a gazillion south American tourists.
ah, the "fly-over people"
they dont matter
:rolleyes:
The fly over people already contend with car and air traffic.

and what about those communities in between?
the ones that will have the tracks and the noise, but the trains wont stop there, or if they DO stop, BOOM, there goes the "high speed"
What communities would those be? There is virtually nothing between Miami and Orlando once you get away from the coast.

Scott is a toad. I would certainly use this train as would a gazillion south American tourists.

Scott is a tool and he might be beginning to understand this right about now. Here is where we begin to create jobs, jobs, jobs AND millions would use it.
With any luck the conservatives will mow him down. Since they (or at least the Republicans) are currently unhappy with his turning down the money. But hey, they usually fall into line and back the rethuglican wing...sigh.

ah, the "fly-over people"
they dont matter
:rolleyes:
The fly over people already contend with car and air traffic.

...*AND* They are Content with it AND aren't SCREAMING for HSR.

Are they?

Scott is a tool and he might be beginning to understand this right about now. Here is where we begin to create jobs, jobs, jobs AND millions would use it.
typical, both you and ravi have no clue on the realities of this
Well...I know I live in Florida and you don't so what business is it of yours, exactly?

I'm not sure if a high-speed train makes sense. I don't know if there would be enough of a ridership for it.

Instead, if they were dying to spend the money, it might be better to beef up commuter rail service on the southeast coast from Miami to West Palm. It can be a bitch driving down there.
There is already Amtrak between those two cities.

I don't see a huge need for Tampa to Orlando, but Miami to Orlando to Tampa would be excellent.

Well...I know I live in Florida and you don't so what business is it of yours, exactly?
ok then, you STFU about anything north and west of the FL state borders

your asking for FEDERAL MONEY to do this
that makes it MY BUSINESS

I'm not sure if a high-speed train makes sense. I don't know if there would be enough of a ridership for it.

Instead, if they were dying to spend the money, it might be better to beef up commuter rail service on the southeast coast from Miami to West Palm. It can be a bitch driving down there.

I don't see a huge need for Tampa to Orlando, but Miami to Orlando to Tampa would be excellent.
there is already AmTrak service there too

uh...no. the money will be spent. If not in Florida, then in Cali, or some other state.

State's rights are fine until you feel the need to mouth off about some one else's state...:lol:

there is already AmTrak service there too
Not a fast service. Basically a cow train.

uh...no. the money will be spent. If not in Florida, then in Cali, or some other state.

State's rights are fine until you feel the need to mouth off about some one else's state...:lol:

With all the other states rejecting the money, looks like Cali is going to get a shitload.

and i will STILL have a right to talk about what happens to that money in THOSE states too

btw, dipshit, this is a state (yours) saying it doesnt want it

Forum List

Back