Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

it would only take an hour and a half

Until you get East of Disney. From then on into Downtown, the last 8 miles or so, it is an hour drive minimum and that is on a good day.

Immie

The I4 is terrible.

I would never want anyone from FDOT to read this, but since they expanded I-4 from Tampa to Orlando it has improved a lot, but I don't think there is any saving Orlando's traffic. It is a frigging nightmare almost as bad as Silicon Valley... almost!

Immie

Until you get East of Disney. From then on into Downtown, the last 8 miles or so, it is an hour drive minimum and that is on a good day.

Immie
so, you'd get on the train, and end up in downtown Orlando and then have to get to disney
LOL

No, I wouldn't, but then, I also said earlier that I don't think the plan is a good one... definitely not something the U.S. Government should be going further into debt over.

About the only thing I can see HSR being useful for is to get across the country on. I could see the value of two E/W corridors say SF to NY and LA to Washington with a few NS lines to hit major metro areas, but the expense of that would be down right astronomical and out of the question when one wants to be reasonable.

I for one support Gov. Scott's decision. Unfortunately, it appears the U.S. Government is damned well going to spend that money come hell or high water.

What the hell is wrong with these idiots in Washington? Money doesn't grown on cherry trees, which I understand are prevalent in the Washington area.

Immie

Immie

The I4 is terrible.

I would never want anyone from FDOT to read this, but since they expanded I-4 from Tampa to Orlando it has improved a lot, but I don't think there is any saving Orlando's traffic. It is a frigging nightmare almost as bad as Silicon Valley... almost!

Immie
might be a better use to put this money into expanding I-4

The I4 is terrible.

Immie

Someone earlier said something about 10 riders per train. Having lived in Silicon Valley after they put in their version of Light Rail, I know exactly what that person means. That was exactly what happened with the Light Rail in Silicon Valley. Last year, Hillsborough County voters (where Tampa is) shot down a light rail proposal... Thank God!!! I suspect that this version of HSR would be very similar to the Light Rail in SV. I simply don't see the need for it. People living in Miami are not going to commute to Orlando to work, it just is not going to happen. People do commute from Tampa to Orlando, about 80 miles, but, unless the daily ticket price including parking is less than $15-$20, HSR is not likely to end the nightmare of that commute.

Immie

Immie

Someone earlier said something about 10 riders per train. Having lived in Silicon Valley after they put in their version of Light Rail, I know exactly what that person means. That was exactly what happened with the Light Rail in Silicon Valley. Last year, Hillsborough County voters (where Tampa is) shot down a light rail proposal... Thank God!!! I suspect that this version of HSR would be very similar to the Light Rail in SV. I simply don't see the need for it. People living in Miami are not going to commute to Orlando to work, it just is not going to happen. People do commute from Tampa to Orlando, about 80 miles, but, unless the daily ticket price including parking is less than $15-$20, HSR is not likely to end the nightmare of that commute.

Immie
the best place for light rail is not inter city, but intra city
to help people in the suburbs get into the city to work and then back home again

Immie
to help people in the suburbs get into the city to work and then back home again

The problem with Tampa is that there is no real "inner-city" We have a Downtown, but most of the work force is spread out. There is no "central hub" to bring the light rail too. Silicon Valley was the same way. It was too spread out. The Light Rail system basically went NS and literally destroyed the traffic pattern that went EW.

I used to cross the LR at Montague Expressway in SJ. The lights would change to red usually two seconds after going green, and the crossing guards would come down, 45 seconds later (okay, that is probably stretching it, it was most likely more like 15 seconds) a train with two cars would go by... you could actually count the number of heads that were visible on one hand, that train would go by the crossing guards would stay down, then another train going northbound would pass and again, you could count the number of heads on the train on one hand (by the way this was at commute times), that train would pass and before the crossing guards came up another SB train would go by with fewer than five people on board. In the meantime, EW traffic was stacking up. EW traffic never cleared because of the LR.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

The problem with Tampa is that there is no real "inner-city" We have a Downtown, but most of the work force is spread out. There is no "central hub" to bring the light rail too. Silicon Valley was the same way. It was too spread out. The Light Rail system basically went NS and literally destroyed the traffic pattern that went EW.

I used to cross the LR at Montague Expressway in SJ. The lights would change to red usually two seconds after going green, and the crossing guards would come down, 45 seconds later (okay, that is probably stretching it, it was most likely more like 15 seconds) a train with two cars would go by... you could actually count the number of heads that were visible on one hand, that train would go by the crossing guards would stay down, then another train going northbound would pass and again, you could count the number of heads on the train on one hand (by the way this was at commute times), that train would pass and before the crossing guards came up another SB train would go by with fewer than five people on board. In the meantime, EW traffic was stacking up. EW traffic never cleared because of the LR.

Immie

I live in san Jose and I can attest to that. The fact that, for a gallon of gas, you can get anywhere in san jose you want, in less time than the LR easily, made is ridiculous from the git go, even for one working for just 10 an hour, a gallon of gas to go to and from work, will not compensate for a $3 ticket price adding in the extra time and freedom......

Now bringing BART down the peninsula to San Jose makes sense, to much sense, thats why they have not done it yet, and yet, Oh and they are really curtailing Cal-train(s) to Stockton for instance and Tracy and other bedroom commuter suburbs.

Its just nuts, they are totally out to lunch.

and as far as the ticket price point you mentioned in another post of 15-20 dollars, that will never ever happen. Its not even comparable anywhere in the US.

Last edited:
If the people of Florida want to ride a high speed train, they can take their asses to Disneyworld and ride the friggin' monorail.......It's faster than Amtrak and most definitely runs more on schedule.

and i will STILL have a right to talk about what happens to that money in THOSE states too

btw, dipshit, this is a state (yours) saying it doesnt want it
Actually, it a toad saying he doesn't want it...not the state, or its residents.
he was elected
so tough shit most of your fellow Floridians voted for him
Yeah, I've been hearing this from wingnuts about Walker, too - he was elected, blah, blah, blah.

Where was this attitude from the Right when Obama was elected?

Hypocrite.

Actually, it a toad saying he doesn't want it...not the state, or its residents.
he was elected
Yeah, I've been hearing this from wingnuts about Walker, too - he was elected, blah, blah, blah.

Where was this attitude from the Right when Obama was elected?

Hypocrite.
didnt have to
Obama was already saying it

idiot

he was elected

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

BULLSHIT! Why do you resort to lying through your teeth?

Florida voters amended their state's constitution in 2000. The amendment required the state to build high-speed rail.

Republicans, led by another fuckup named Bush, ignored voter wishes.

You are either a bald-faced liar or an ignoramus - which is it?

he was elected

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

BULLSHIT! Why do you resort to lying through your teeth?

Florida voters amended their state's constitution in 2000. The amendment required the state to build high-speed rail.

Republicans, led by another fuckup named Bush, ignored voter wishes.

You are either a bald-faced liar or an ignoramus - which is it?
then they voter later not to FUND it

Republican Fl. Gov. Rick Scott angers Republicans over refusing to accept high speed rail money

U.S. Rep. John Mica, R-Winter Park, who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and is as far right as a Tea Party politician can be, said this about Scott's decision:
"I am deeply disappointed," said U.S. Rep. John Mica, a Republican whose district reaches from Orlando to the Atlantic Coast, where the rail service could have been expanded. "This is a huge setback for the state of Florida, our transportation, economic development, and important tourism industry."
In one fell swoop, Scott has helped reelect Democratic Senator Bill Nelson and restricted Florida's competitive balance as a state.

This is what happens when you elect amateurs and morons to the Governorship. Rick Scott is an unindicted felon, and belongs in jail.

sucks to be a loser democrat donut?
:lol:

That's the best you can do when I call out your bullshit?

Save your retard act for the Republicans who think Rick Scott is a moron, like John Mica.

They did at least once.

November 2004 Florida HSR Constitutional Amendment Repealed

Florida voters repeal the high speed rail amendment. The fiscal impact statement with the repeal amendment estimates the state cost savings from between $20 to $25 billion during a 30 year period.

Prominent opponents note lack of federal financial support for HSR. FDOT’s current estimates, based upon engineering design and analysis, the Tampa-Orlando-Miami corridor will cost approximately $13 billion to build, with more than 80 percent of these funds coming from the federal rail program.
History - Florida High Speed Rail

And, ya know what I heard on Fox News Today?
Fox News the best and most useful source of News in America??? That China is very much regretting their investment in "high speed rail".

Well, that just says it all!

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

When is the last time you drove I4 from Tampa to Orlando, exactly?

Immie

VERY true. And it's no better on the Tampa end.

As someone from Central Florida, I have cursed Orlando traffic for decades now. Man was not meant to sit still on an Interstate, yet thousands do every day on I-4, crawling along. Even back in 1985, I remember sitting through 6 or 7 light changes to finally get through an intersection on SR436, close to the Altamonte Mall, only to sit through another 6 at the next intersection. Ever try to drive SR50? A nightmare.

Orlando built up the city on Disney and Sea World, then realized "hey - we have no roads!"

Forum List

Back