Zone1 Why does the Bible seem so misogynistic?

Here's the thing: Western culture has totally perverted the role of women in a civilized society, which is determined by biology and natural temperament. The Bible views women realistically and appropriately, which drives today's Lefties crazy.

It would be entertaining to read some specific misogynistic statements or points that are in the Bible.
If it weren't so serious, battle of the sexes and all that.

How are those differences dealt with?
In all the parishes I have been throughout my life, we have fun discussing various perspectives. Homilies are equally interesting because priests have different perspectives as well. "I've never looked at it quite that way before" broadens horizons.

As Catholics we do have a few things we are set on: The virgin birth; the real presence; the resurrection and ascension. Other issues are open, including a literal six day creation versus evolution playing a part in creation.

So why the charge of misogyny by so many scholars?
Frankly, it is a kissing up to a current fad, currying favor with a perceived societal audience. Growing up, all the men in my family from grandfathers to fathers to uncles to brothers were supportive of women and all they brought with them in any/all situations. Never the dumb blonde, girls going to college for an MRS degree, or girls can't do that as well. My male bosses always went to bat for me over comparable salaries, etc. That was the example I was given and the example I follow when society left off on the "jokes" about women and turned to "jokes" about men.

Serious study of genealogy also plays a part in understanding history. For example, how many of our ancestors did not own property and therefore had no right to vote. That was corrected without fuss, and then we reached for the next thing to be corrected--women, too, should be voters. Society changes and it takes a minute to tweak these changes so that there is an even playing field. In most all of these tweaks, we see both men and women working together to affect them. We see both men and women against any changes. And...we see how "scholars" choose to tell the story. Scholars are so fond of saying women couldn't travel by themselves, be executors of estates, run their own businesses, etc. From my own genealogy I learned for a fact women were sailing across the ocean and back on their own, traveled through the wilderness on their own, ran their own businesses, and were executors of estates.

Forum List

Back