Govt arrests 76 y.o. man who shot bear that attacked him in his own yard!

So, one shot from a shotgun and the bear dropped. What was he using - slugs?

Probably. Nothing wrong with that. I once shot a slug into a 300 pound illegal who mouthed off to me. He was dead for he hit the ground.

Yeah, everyone believes you, clown... :rolleyes:

I am sure he plays GTA.

Only a loony lib would call that baiting. Damn bear invaded his property!!

Are you calling me a liberal?

If the bear attacks someone...Does the victim have the right to shot the bear?

He knew the bear was out there. Therefore, he should have called authorities before needlessly murdering a mother bear from her cubs. Most all people who live in bear country know that bears love birdseed.

I think you are missing the point here. It was not that he was defending himself, it was that he was putting food out after he was aware the bear was coming in to eat it. Under most state law, that is illegal. I would be surprised if that were not the case in your state as well.

A man has a right to put food in his birdfeeder on his own property. That's not baiting. Damn bear shoulda minded its own business.

It would appear you are wrong. The bear was minding his own business. He was finding food. If you continue to put food out where a bear is eating it, it only makes the bear stay in the area. Whether it was his intention or not, he was baiting the bear.

Much like an attractive woman baits rapists, I suppose.

this guy wanted to shoot the bear.

Its pretty clear

You're taking for granted that he knew the bird seed was bear bait. That's a pretty big supposition.

Ya..if the guy is 10 years old. At 76 he is baiting the bear. I watched an old man yesterday antagonize my pitbulls that were behing a chain link fench by honking at them and making threatening gestures at them for about ten minutes before I yelled down from my third floor balcony "Hey MORON quit screwing with my dogs!" That said old moron got out of his car and told me he did no such thing. He was about the same age as the bear baiter. I'm surprised both of these old fuckers got to be that age. Life usually weeds out stupid people by that many years.

Nonsense. You're telepathic now? You can't possibly know the man's motives.

I don't much give a shit about your dogs. A little exercise probably did them some good.

You're taking for granted that he knew the bird seed was bear bait. That's a pretty big supposition.

Ya..if the guy is 10 years old. At 76 he is baiting the bear. I watched an old man yesterday antagonize my pitbulls that were behing a chain link fench by honking at them and making threatening gestures at them for about ten minutes before I yelled down from my third floor balcony "Hey MORON quit screwing with my dogs!" That said old moron got out of his car and told me he did no such thing. He was about the same age as the bear baiter. I'm surprised both of these old fuckers got to be that age. Life usually weeds out stupid people by that many years.

Nonsense. You're telepathic now? You can't possibly know the man's motives.

I don't much give a shit about your dogs. A little exercise probably did them some good.

I don't give a shit about you. Go fuck yourself and all morons like you.

I have kept a bird feeder reliably filled with the expensive kind of seed and nuts and all and also suet for 15 years -- I had NO IDEA bears were attracted to that.

Beehives, yes. It's true about bears and honey. Maryland honeyraisers go nuts with the bear problem, skunks, too. Chainlink fences work, sometimes. Bears are awfully big.

We get a bear every year following the streams down from Pennsylvania (bear heaven, apparently). Usually it tries to eat somebody's dog and they send a SWAT team out after it.

Really. I'm not kidding.

I was staying with my sister during the summer of '77 in a house in the woods in the Poconos.

A Black bear attacked our dog and her pups. The bitch and one pup got away, but the other five or six pups were mauled to death.

Pennsylvania's problem isn't bear, it's too damned many vacation houses going into the mountains that really ought to never have been built.

The guy should have cut out the bears gall bladder and taken it to China town.

Bear's gall bladders are worth thousands of dollars.

In fact, they are worth more per ounce than gold on the black market for traditional Chinese medicine as an aphrodisiac or cure for a variety of ills.

He knew the bear was out there. Therefore, he should have called authorities before needlessly murdering a mother bear from her cubs. Most all people who live in bear country know that bears love birdseed.

I agree he should have called the authorities first, which he didn't. But he shouldn't have to stop feeding his birds because of a bear.
Then again, why do people like to live in a place where they know there are bears?
Bears were there first, it is their territory!

Noomi, why do you live in a country that has brown snakes, tiger snakes, death adders, and taipans?

Where people kill them if spotted in their neighborhoods.

After all, they were there first and it is their territory. ... :cool:

Noomi, why do you live in a country that has brown snakes, tiger snakes, death adders, and taipans?

Where people kill them if spotted in their neighborhoods.

After all, they were there first and it is their territory. ... :cool:

Point taken - but these are small animals, reptiles, who are not usually dangerous unless they feel threatened.

Its a lot different living in the bush were there are snakes to living in the mountains where bears roam.

There wouldn't be a bear problem around here because we'd dig a hole with the hoe and bury every one of them. Throw a few coyotes in for good measure before we cover it up.

I thought you sounded like a man with a backhoe. [:)

That's the thing about farmers: they so often have backhoes.

Here's a story from about 25 years ago -- we had an arsonist in the county, a farm arsonist. He was going after big old barns stuffed full of hay, about August. Omigod, can you imagine? He'd accounted for some 4 or 5, too. People were real upset.

The sheriff called a meeting of farmers in the county seat. I went: I was one of the few women there, but I had a couple big old barns stuffed full of hay, too, and I was an unhappy camper about all this!

The sheriff stood up in front and asked the group, "What should a man do if he catches a guy in his barn that isn't supposed to be there?" And with one voice, like a deep church choir, the whole crowd growled in unison, "Shoot him."

Anybody who has stacked as much hay in August as I have understands this perfectly well.

The sheriff started dancing around like he had to go to the bathroom! He was just frantic. "No! No!! Wrong answer!!!" he said. And went on about veterinarians with the wrong address and I don't know what all.....I lost interest, I was mainly interested in that one voice of purpose I had just heard.

And you know how the story ends? We never saw the arsonist again. The police never caught him, and there were no more barn burnings. I have no idea what actually happened, but ------

A backhoe is a very useful machine.

And this time of year there's always at least one excavator out back for the really big jobs. :beer:

I agree he should have called the authorities first, which he didn't. But he shouldn't have to stop feeding his birds because of a bear.
Then again, why do people like to live in a place where they know there are bears?
Bears were there first, it is their territory!

It's pretty much impossible to live in some areas where bear won't be a problem.

Bear roam a fairly wide range foraging.

The problem, sort of like the Poconos in PA, is when a formerly forested area becomes a target for land developers who put thousands of "vacation" homes on mountains where mankind had never before lived.

the bear simply have no choice but to raid garbage cans and whatnot since the developments have invaded their territory and often also destroy their sources of food.

For instance in PA cranberry bogs get destroyed to make way for homes. and the bear have been feeding off those bogs since forever.

Too many people, ya know?

A man has a right to put food in his birdfeeder on his own property. That's not baiting. Damn bear shoulda minded its own business.

It would appear you are wrong. The bear was minding his own business. He was finding food. If you continue to put food out where a bear is eating it, it only makes the bear stay in the area. Whether it was his intention or not, he was baiting the bear.

Much like an attractive woman baits rapists, I suppose.

Seriously? You are equating a bear looking for food to a rapist?

"...who are not usually dangerous unless they feel threatened."

The same is true of humans. I'd say the man had cause to feel threatened.

Forum List

Back