Grits

Yep...
My Wife hates Cream of Wheat yet she loves grits.
When I told Her the same thing she stared blankly and for a moment I swear she looked like a democrat when asked what biden has done for this country.

I love Cream of Wheat! Have loved it since I was little!!
Love grits as well.

Not all that keen on oatmeal though. But sometimes I get a hankerin for it.

I'll occasionally mix the two.
You get the best of both worlds.
Brown sugar and some milk!!

1666314015825.png

They used to have Bananas and Cream, and Chocolate too. But they stopped making those years ago.

I hate cream of wheat but love my grits and I was born a yankee.
I rarely eat grits any more because of how I like them, lots of fat and salt.........

Homemade bacon bits
Butter
Shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

I am in potato cakes land. Loooove potato cakes.
I have had grits once or twice, I wasn't that impressed. Just taste like corn. :dunno:

One of the perks where I work is that they feed us. It was awful. I damn near spit it out but I forced it down and threw the bowl away.

You call that a perk? You could have stopped and gotten good food somewhere else on your way to work. Just sayin. :smoke:

Grits can be great and grits can be nasty depending on how they are cooked and seasoned.

I often treat grits kind of like a gravy. Grits seasoned with butter and salt over sausage and biscuits and maybe even some scrambled eggs is awesome IMO. A little back pepper is good with it too.

Centralized meal starches are generally not given up as we change locations...

For example those in Asia tend to build meals around rice, noodles, or soybeans of some sort.
Those in Europe tend to focus meals around wheat products.
Those in the extreme North and Northwest Europe tend to center meals around potatoes instead of wheat. Of course there is crossover...potatoes wrapped in pasta?

Here in the US we have trends as well. In the Northeast to Northern Midwest everything is served on a yeast raised wheat product. (Bread, roll, buns) the bread being the chief, constant starch in every meal. In the Southeastern area everything is served with biscuits and cornbread.
This comes from tradition more than because of logistics in these modern times. Grits vs Farina (cream of wheat) is just a localized phenomenon. Even oatmeal can be found everywhere. But if someone native to the Southeastern part of the US migrates to the North or Midwest they will try to find biscuits to center their meals upon. Same with those from the Midwest and Northeast will try in the Southeast to find a bread bakery and not a cake bakery.

Those from Asia are almost SOL (singing out loud) ** for finding convenient locations with varying meals surrounding their chief starches.

Do you realize Holly that since you've come here, you've typed the same 5 words 92,244 times and the same 29 letters 529,076 times?! :omg:
I don't know how you came up with those numbers but thank you for being interested enough to figure it all out. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Actually, depending on what or who my messages address, other people are included at the end here and there.

I've been here in the south since the summer of 1996 and I have never once understood grits. Until there is a bunch of sugar mixed in, the food has absolutely zero taste.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Try grits with sharp cheddar and a shot of Tabasco.

Forum List

Back