Gun research that shows that guns are the best method of self defense...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This article defines the gun debate, and clarifies the actual position Pro-2nd Amendment advocates should take.....then it gives a list of gun research showing that guns are the best method for self defense...saving lives....

How to Spot Misleading Statistics in the Gun Control Debate

Regardless of whether Lottā€™s research stands up to scrutiny, I want to suggest that itā€™s mistaken to think about the gun ownership debate chiefly in terms of crime prevention. On the contrary, whether there exists a right to own guns depends chiefly on whether guns are reasonable means of resisting crime.

Although prevention is more socially desirable (it is better that a crime not happen in the first place), any deterrent benefits that guns may have would owe to their resistance benefits, so the latter is more fundamental. Guns are valued for self-defense primarily because of their ability to dispense lethal force, which means that resistanceā€”not preventionā€”is primary. Prevention is an added benefit, but it is secondary.

None of this is to say that Lottā€™s research is wrong. Rather, the point Iā€™m making is that prevention and resistance are two very different things, and the latter is what the gun debate is fundamentally about.

To illustrate the difference, letā€™s suppose that I encounter a mugger while taking a walk. I brandish my firearm to the mugger, who is undeterred and rushes me with a knife. I then shoot the mugger, stopping the crime. In that situation, my gun has failed to prevent a crime, but it was successful at resisting a crime. The gun was an effective and reasonable means of self-defense even though it failed to deter the would-be mugger.

This is a very crucial point that must be carefully appreciated. Even if guns don't prevent crime by reducing the overall crime rate, it wouldnā€™t mean that guns are not a reasonable means of resisting crime. As far as gun rights are concerned, the single most important issue is simply the question of whether guns do a good job when deployed against a criminal assailant. Deterrence is not the key issue at stake.
---------

The point here is this: even if studies showing that gun ownership or right-to-carry laws increase crime are right, theyā€™re irrelevant. It doesnā€™t follow that guns are not effective when used in self-defense. Since the merits of gun ownership center around their resistance benefits, it is misleading to attack that by focusing on their lack of preventative benefits. The failure of a gun to prevent crime doesnā€™t imply its failure at resisting crime.

And here is .....yes..... actual gun research....you know, the kind the anti-gunners tell us isn't allowed to be done...cause them rascally republicans........but somehow, it got done...

The Right Kinds of Studies
The type of studies we should be paying attention to are those studies that deal directly with the effectiveness of guns when used in a self-defense scenario. On that topic, there is a clear and overwhelming consensus that guns are effective when used in self-defense.

A 1993 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology found that out of eight different forms of robbery resistance, ā€œvictim gun use was the resistance strategy most strongly and consistently associated with successful outcomes for robbery victims.ā€

A 2000 study published in the Journal of Criminal Justice found that men and women who resisted with a gun were less likely to be injured or lose property than those who resisted using some other means or who did not resist at all. In the case of women, ā€œhaving a gun really does result in equalizing a woman with a man.ā€

A 2004 study published in the journal Criminology found that out of sixteen different forms of victim self-protection, ā€œa variety of mostly forceful tactics, including resistance with a gun, appeared to have the strongest effects in reducing the risk of injury.ā€

Finally, a 2010 study published in Crime and Delinquency found that resistance with a gun decreased the odds of robbery and rape completion by 93 percent and 92 percent, respectively.

Taking stock of these points, the Institute of Medicine and National Research Council concluded in a 2013 review of the literature that

studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.

When it comes to the use of studies and statistics, both sides tend to focus on the impact of gun ownership and right-to-carry laws on causing or deterring violence. These are certainly interesting issues to examine, but deterrence (or lack thereof) isnā€™t actually relevant to the key question in the gun debate. What matters is simply the question of whether guns are effective at doing what theyā€™re designed to do. And on that question, there is clear consensus that guns are extremely effective at self-defense.

This article defines the gun debate, and clarifies the actual position Pro-2nd Amendment advocates should take.....then it gives a list of gun research showing that guns are the best method for self defense...saving lives....

Regardless of whether Lottā€™s research stands up to scrutiny, I want to suggest that itā€™s mistaken to think about the gun ownership debate chiefly in terms of crime prevention. On the contrary, whether there exists a right to own guns depends chiefly on whether guns are reasonable means of resisting crime.

Although prevention is more socially desirable (it is better that a crime not happen in the first place), any deterrent benefits that guns may have would owe to their resistance benefits, so the latter is more fundamental. Guns are valued for self-defense primarily because of their ability to dispense lethal force, which means that resistanceā€”not preventionā€”is primary. Prevention is an added benefit, but it is secondary.

None of this is to say that Lottā€™s research is wrong. Rather, the point Iā€™m making is that prevention and resistance are two very different things, and the latter is what the gun debate is fundamentally about.

To illustrate the difference, letā€™s suppose that I encounter a mugger while taking a walk. I brandish my firearm to the mugger, who is undeterred and rushes me with a knife. I then shoot the mugger, stopping the crime. In that situation, my gun has failed to prevent a crime, but it was successful at resisting a crime. The gun was an effective and reasonable means of self-defense even though it failed to deter the would-be mugger.

This is a very crucial point that must be carefully appreciated. Even if guns don't prevent crime by reducing the overall crime rate, it wouldnā€™t mean that guns are not a reasonable means of resisting crime. As far as gun rights are concerned, the single most important issue is simply the question of whether guns do a good job when deployed against a criminal assailant. Deterrence is not the key issue at stake.
---------

The point here is this: even if studies showing that gun ownership or right-to-carry laws increase crime are right, theyā€™re irrelevant. It doesnā€™t follow that guns are not effective when used in self-defense. Since the merits of gun ownership center around their resistance benefits, it is misleading to attack that by focusing on their lack of preventative benefits. The failure of a gun to prevent crime doesnā€™t imply its failure at resisting crime.

You silly boob. You think guns are more likely to be used as defense than for offence. That just isn't the case dumb ass.

---------

You silly boob. You think guns are more likely to be used as defense than for offence. That just isn't the case dumb ass.
Prove it, liar.

---------

You mean except for all the available research...you mean except for that...right?

Guns are used by criminals to murder, mostly other criminals, 10,982 times in 2017......

How often are they used to save lives....from rape, robbery and murder....let's look at the research....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

---------

Prove it, liar.

Well hello Mikey. I see that they let you back into the common room where you have access to a computer again. Good for you.

---------

Prove it, liar.

Well hello Mikey. I see that they let you back into the common room where you have access to a computer again. Good for you.

You stole that line from me....you asshat...

---------

Duh obviously a machine specifically designed to easily kill things can be great for defense. But loose them on society by the hundreds of millions, and you'll have problems.

---------

Prove it, liar.

You cockroaches lie about everything. Convicts aren't allowed access the internet.

---------

Duh obviously a machine specifically designed to easily kill things can be great for defense. But loose them on society by the hundreds of millions, and you'll have problems.

Yeah, except 26 years of more and more guns in America hasn't produced those problems...in fact, gun murder is down 49%, gun crime down 75%, and violent crime down 72%.......you are a lot like other people who haven't researched the issue.....you watch the news and make assumptions based on innaccurate information....

If your theory was true, the exact opposite would have happened....

Over the last 26 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nationā€™s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearmā€”assaults, robberies and sex crimesā€”was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

---------

Yeah, except 26 years of more and more guns in America hasn't produced those problems...in fact, gun murder is down 49%, gun crime down 75%, and violent crime down 72%.......you are a lot like other people who haven't researched the issue.....you watch the news and make assumptions based on innaccurate information....

Over the last 26 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nationā€™s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearmā€”assaults, robberies and sex crimesā€”was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
Less guns per household. The greatest decreases in those crimes since 1993 being, of course, in liberal run, gun control enacted, districts.

---------

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Less guns per household. The greatest decreases in those crimes since 1993 being, of course, in liberal run, gun control enacted, districts.

And again, you failed to do your research....just listening to the latest misinformation from anti-gun journalists isn't going to help you post...

UPDATED: Correcting Gun Control false claims about "Americaā€™s unique gun violence problem" and "How to Reduce Shootings" - Crime Prevention Research Center

ā€œ32% of households have gunsā€

In another example of bias, the Times claims that only 32% of American households own guns. That number comes from the General Social Survey (GSS), but it is an outlier. A March 2018 poll by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal estimates that 47% of households own guns, with another 3% declining to answer. A Monmouth University Poll on March 2-5, 2018 asked: ā€œDo you or anyone in your household own a gun, rifle, or pistol?ā€ With 46% saying ā€œyesā€ and another 7% unsure or refusing to answer, it is quite plausible that half of all households own guns.
---

NBC Poll: Does Gun Ownership Increase Or Decrease Safety? Anti-Gun Activists Won't Like The Results.

nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe that getting guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens increases safety.

"In the poll, 58 percent agree with the statement that gun ownership does more to increase safety by allowing law-abiding citizens to protect themselves," NBC News reports. "By contrast, 38 percent say that gun ownership reduces safety by giving too many people access to firearms, increasing the chances for accidental misuse."

------

NBC notes that the overall result is a "reversal" of the findings of a 1999 survey that found that 52 percent of respondents believed gun ownership reduced safety. The more positive perspective on gun ownership is partly reflected in gun ownership trends: "47 percent of American adults say they have a firearm in the household, which is up from 44 percent in 1999."

---------

Prove it, liar.

You're hallucinating again.

---------

Prove it, liar.

You cockroaches lie about everything. Convicts aren't allowed access the internet.

Residents of mental institutions aren't usually referred to as convicts.

---------

Prove it, liar.

Democrats are known for plagiarism. Consider the front-running Democrat presidential candidate.

---------

Dear 2aguy
I'd say it's a combination of physical defense AND consistent agreement
on law enforcement as mutual contracts.

Remember the 2nd amendment right to armed defense
is PART of a system of principles that also includes
protecting security and liberty by due process.

Also remember that guns never CURED the CAUSE of criminal
illness and misconduct. Just like the death penalty does not
CURE the CAUSE of crime and murder.

We need deeper spiritual healing and counseling to address
diagnose and resolve the ROOT CAUSE of criminal abuse and disorder.

For deterrence and defense, yes, consistent law enforcement
with physical OFFICERS and armed force are used.

But this isn't in a vacuum by itself; the entire context also
involves knowledge and AGREEMENT to respect the laws
(as well as spiritual responsibilities for addressing and
correcting the INTERNAL root causes, as the best way
to prevent these pre-existing conditions from manifesting
as physical abuse and crime affecting others externally).

You can't do that with guns, where armed law enforcement is the responsibility of
the state, but the INTERNAL issues are personal and spiritual and responsibility of
individuals, social programs and church ministries that specialize in this area of
counseling, healing, recovery and relationship/community work.

That's not the job of the state, whose role of mandatory law enforcement
through police and military security and defense is not the role of the church either.
These two roles should work in TANDEM not compete to obstruct the
work of the other institution.

Forum List

Back