Habitable exoplanets are bad news for humanity

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Last week, scientists announced the discovery of Kepler-186f, a planet 492 light years away in the Cygnus constellation. Kepler-186f is special because it marks the first planet almost exactly the same size as Earth orbiting in the "habitable zone" – the distance from a star in which we might expect liquid water, and perhaps life.

Read more at: Habitable exoplanets are bad news for humanity

I believe that on a world "intelligent life" typically develops unevenly (like our species) and a species has a choice... 1. Do as we're doing and help the lesser and slowly devolve as the lesser will out produce the mores, or 2. Will value higher IQ probably do unspeakable things to the lesser. I believe most species will choose our course as compassion is a key trait of intelligence. The thing is the most developed portion normally gets destroyed and things turn around.

See how we threw our advancement into space away the past 40 years? What I am saying is the advanced societies (Europe, Japan, China, etc.) will be wiped out as our attempts to equalize our world typically fails. We're being out bred 4-5 to one. I believe this is the filter.

Last edited:
Earth is old in the scale of things...

Study: Most Earth-like worlds are yet to be born
Oct. 20, 2015 - Current Earth-like worlds make up just eight percent of the total habitable planets that will form over the course of the universe's lifetime, study suggests.
New analysis of data collected by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and Kepler space observatory suggests most Earth-like exoplanets are yet to be born. Earth-like worlds are defined as rock planets orbiting within their host star's habitable zone, the region in which water might exist in liquid form. The highly theoretical study isn't proof of the rarity of Earth-like worlds -- in fact, there are likely billions of exoplanets in the habitable zone -- but a primer on the future of star-making and planet formation. Simply put, the universe's evolving galaxies are going to keep making stars and planets for a long, long time.

Study-Most-Earth-like-worlds-are-yet-to-be-born.jpg

The future of the universe will likely feature the birth of billions more Earth-like planets.​

In tracing the evolution of ancient galaxies, researchers at Baltimore's Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) were able to show that though the rate of star formation has slowed, there is now much more gas available for star-building than there was when the universe first formed. Their calculations suggest the universe's last star won't turn off the lights for another 100 trillion years -- plenty of time for the birth of billions more Earth-like planets. Current Earth-like worlds make up just eight percent of the total habitable planets that will form over the course of the universe's lifetime. "Our main motivation was understanding the Earth's place in the context of the rest of the universe," Peter Behroozi, a planetary scientist at STScI, explained in a press release. "Compared to all the planets that will ever form in the universe, the Earth is actually quite early."

Behroozi is the lead author of the new study, which was published this week in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. "There is enough remaining material [after the big bang] to produce even more planets in the future, in the Milky Way and beyond," said co-author Molly Peeples of STScI. Behroozi and Peeples say future planets are more likely to be born in giant galaxy clusters and dwarf galaxies, which, unlike medium-sized spiral galaxies like the Milky Way, haven't already used up their star-forming gas reserves.

Study: Most Earth-like worlds are yet to be born

See also:

The Internet found a Buddha statue on Mars
Oct. 19, 2015 - It's not the first time conspiracy theorists have seen evidence of aliens where NASA scientists simply see rock formations.
NASA found a Buddha statue on Mars. They just didn't realize it. Or they did, and are just trying to cover it up by posting a picture of it on the Internet. Either way, the truth is out, thanks to Scott C. Waring, self-proclaimed UFOlogist and writer on the website ufosightingsdaily.com.

The-Internet-found-a-Buddha-statue-on-Mars.jpg

What UFO-watchers call a "Stunning Martian God."​

Pulled from the archives of NASA's Curiosity rover mission, the image shows a familiar rock formation -- for Waring, too familiar to be just a rock formation. "[It] shows a face and head turned to its right, with breasts and a plump stomach, shoulders," Waring claimed last week on a blog post. "The photo alone should be enough to convince the United Nations that intelligent life once existed on Mars, but NASA doesn't want anyone to know the truth."

Waring calls the statue a "Stunning Martian God," and lists its discovery as October 2015. But, in fact, the image was snapped by Curiosity in 2014. Waring made a similar claim about the same photo in October 2014. Waring may have quite the imagination, but it doesn't appear to have a very good memory. It's not the first time conspiracy theorists have seen evidence of aliens where NASA scientists simply see rock formations. As the India Times recalls, aliens, helmets, faces, and lizards have all been spotted on the Red Planet.

The Internet found a Buddha statue on Mars

Finding a new world...I feel bad for the new world. We will just shit all over it like we have this one.

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Think it'd be bad because it may speed up destruction of the enviroment as people figure, "well there's this other planet we can move to when it gets too bad here."

Last week, scientists announced the discovery of Kepler-186f, a planet 492 light years away in the Cygnus constellation. Kepler-186f is special because it marks the first planet almost exactly the same size as Earth orbiting in the "habitable zone" – the distance from a star in which we might expect liquid water, and perhaps life.

Read more at: Habitable exoplanets are bad news for humanity

I believe that on a world "intelligent life" typically develops unevenly (like our species) and a species has a choice... 1. Do as we're doing and help the lesser and slowly devolve as the lesser will out produce the mores, or 2. Will value higher IQ probably do unspeakable things to the lesser. I believe most species will choose our course as compassion is a key trait of intelligence. The thing is the most developed portion normally gets destroyed and things turn around.

See how we threw our advancement into space away the past 40 years? What I am saying is the advanced societies (Europe, Japan, China, etc.) will be wiped out as our attempts to equalize our world typically fails. We're being out bred 4-5 to one. I believe this is the filter.
I'm just worried that an advanced civilization will intercept our TV signals and decide we need to be exterminated. Assuming there was such a civilization, which I believe there isn't. But if there is, we're screwed.

Forget about extrasolar systems and other galaxies for a moment. There may be extraterrestrial life right here in our own solar system on Saturn's moon Titan. Not only that, one day it may become our only realistic refuge should the Earth become inhospitable to life.

---

Universe Documentary 2015 Is Saturn Alive? | Discovery Channel

Forum List

Back