Had I been there...

Jun 10, 2013
If I had been a Jew living in Europe in 1940, I would have looked for a way to leave and immigrate to the British Mandate of Palestine.

I would have done so through proper channels, as a "legal alien."

If I had the means, I would have purchased land upon my arrival, possibly from an Arab landowner.

I would have worked the land, and tried to make it bloom.

I would have offered assistance to new immigrant Jews, providing them work and support to the best of my ability.

When the UN voted on the Partition Plan, and Israel declared its independence, I would have cheered and celebrated.

When the Arabs attacked, I would have fought back.

I would have continued to fight for Israel's survival as long as I was able.

I would have proudly sent my children to become members of the IDF to follow in my footsteps and protect my country.

I would have voted in Israeli elections, expressing my views on social and foreign policy issues through the democratic process.

If that had been the path that fate laid out for me, I would have proudly lived that life.

My life took a different path, but I still make efforts to help and support Israel from my home in the United States.

But, whatever fate put before me, I would have been a Zionist.

I am a Zionist.

No amount of bigotry, defamation, name-calling, revisionist history, propaganda, or pseudo-intellectual analysis will ever sway me from my who I am.

There are a lot of people who feel the way I do. And we're not going anywhere.

Our people have had to man the fort for centuries. Some with their lives, some by merely keeping our traditions, values and culture alive in hostile territories. We each play a role, however small, in keeping Judaism going.

We do so, not because we think we're superior, and not because we wish to convert anyone, but because we see value in our culture. We see purpose in our history.

If any of you think you can make the slightest dent in that, you are wasting your time.

• Banned
Would you have blown up hotels ?

I'm going to ignore some of the implications of your question, and simply state that I don't believe I would have been a member of the Irgun. I most certainly would have served with the Haganah.

• Banned
Would you have blown up hotels ?

I'm going to ignore some of the implications of your question, and simply state that I don't believe I would have been a member of the Irgun. I most certainly would have served with the Haganah.

Shocker--you are choosing to ignore the truth. You forgot to call me anti-Semitic this time.

The truth that, when a country fights for its freedom and independence, there may be questionable methods used to achieve the ultimate goal?

No, I'm not ignoring that truth.

I will, however, ignore those who attempt to use individual examples of questionable acts to delegitimize Israel or defame Zionism as a movement. People like that (anti-Semites or otherwise) are not worth my time.

Shocker--you are choosing to ignore the truth. You forgot to call me anti-Semitic this time.

The truth that, when a country fights for its freedom and independence, there may be questionable methods used to achieve the ultimate goal?

I will, however, ignore those who attempt to use individual examples of questionable acts to delegitimize Israel or defame Zionism as a movement. People like that (anti-Semites or otherwise) are not worth my time.

When people are fighting for purpose especially when they are out numbered and out gunned they resort to whatever methods will work. Displaced Arabs do the same thing.
( Israel was not a country at this time. Zionism was a concept. )

Last edited:

When people are fighting for purpose especially when they are out numbered and out gunned they resort to whatever methods will work. Displaced Arabs do the same thing.

Wrong. The Irgun used questionable methods, but at least they provided warnings before the bombing in an effort to minimize casualties. Those warnings proved ineffective, and many Jewish groups at the time condemned the Irgun's actions.

The Arabs, on the other hand, don't seem to have any limits. They have no qualms about murdering civilians, in Israel or abroad. In fact, they preach the merits of martyrdom, and celebrate those who carry out such attacks. They are part of the mainstream.

So, of course, your analogy fails entirely.

I would have proudly fought for Israel's independence through all necessary means. In hindsight, it could be reasonably argued that the hotel bombing was not necessary. But, in saying that, I will give this caveat: its easy to say now - not so easy to make those calls when you are fighting for your very survival. So, in the end, it is not really for me to judge the Irgun's actions (and it certainly is not your place either).

Arabs were not "displaced" when they committed genocide and ethnic cleansing in the ancient Jews of Hebron in 1929. Now that they've cleansed Hebron of all Jews, they call it their own, and lie about its history. Of course.
It was the Arabs that started to attack and kill the non Muslim, because that is what they do, just review their history in the region.

Irgun and Hagannah were created to defend against future massacres by Arabs.

Amin Al Husseini: Nazi Father of Jihad, Al Qaeda, Arafat, Saddam Hussein and the Muslim Brotherhood - Tell The Children The Truth - Homepage

When I was out numbered and out gunned I did not resort to targeting and murdering women and children. That's the difference between me and you arabs.

When I was out numbered and out gunned I did not resort to targeting and murdering women and children. That's the difference between me and you arabs.

I'm not an Arab. I do know what Zionists did to regain control of the land God gave them tho. They turned down some pretty sweet deals that might have gotten more Jews out of Germany. They also called for an embargo on the German economy while their fellow Jews were still in danger.

I'm not an Arab. I do know what Zionists did to regain control of the land God gave them tho. They turned down some pretty sweet deals that might have gotten more Jews out of Germany. They also called for an embargo on the German economy while their fellow Jews were still in danger.

You're not an arab? You sure use Turnspeak like one.

What, exactly, is the point you're trying to make with your revisionist history and other assorted nonsense?

What, exactly, is the point you're trying to make with your revisionist history and other assorted nonsense?

It seems like he is one of those people who cannot stand that the Jewish state exists. Be easy on him ;)

what's with you and bombing things up?

You're a weirdo

Are you aware of how early Zionists behaved? It's your country. You should know about these things.

I know you're obsessed with the King David hotel incident, which is one incident in a history of more than 100 years of conflict.

So I should ask you what's your problem.

I know my history lessons very well, thank you very much.

It seems like he is one of those people who cannot stand that the Jewish state exists. Be easy on him ;)
Blinded by hate and jealousy.

what's with you and bombing things up?

You're a weirdo

Are you aware of how early Zionists behaved? It's your country. You should know about these things.

I know you're obsessed with the King David hotel incident, which is one incident in a history of more than 100 years of conflict.

So I should ask you what's your problem.

I know my history lessons very well, thank you very much.

no more obsessed than you are with rockets. The king David Hotel incident is far from revisionist history.

Forum List

Back