Had to put my husbands best buddy down today :(

Caroljo

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2009
Sammy has been with us since 1997 when we rescued him at the shelter. He was about 1 1/2 yrs old then, so he was close to 18 today. He was a Wire haired Dauschaund/terrier mix. He had actually died about a year ago at the vets after he was put to sleep for an extensive teeth cleaning, and our vet brought him back! So we got another good year with him. He's had arthritis for at least a couple years, and gradually got worse. He's had problems controlling his bowels/bladder. But this last weekend it got really bad. This morning i had to carry him outside and back in. My husband was home today and had to clean up quite a few messes (plus he was throwing up). Took him to the Vet after work, sat with him as he passed. He's out of pain now....

photo.php

Sammy has been with us since 1997 when we rescued him at the shelter. He was about 1 1/2 yrs old then, so he was close to 18 today. He was a Wire haired Dauschaund/terrier mix. He had actually died about a year ago at the vets after he was put to sleep for an extensive teeth cleaning, and our vet brought him back! So we got another good year with him. He's had arthritis for at least a couple years, and gradually got worse. He's had problems controlling his bowels/bladder. But this last weekend it got really bad. This morning i had to carry him outside and back in. My husband was home today and had to clean up quite a few messes (plus he was throwing up). Took him to the Vet after work, sat with him as he passed. He's out of pain now....

photo.php

So very sorry, sounds like our little pup toward the end. 16 years and, same here, was a rescue pup.

Thought of getting another, but did not want to go through that again.

Again, sorry for the loss

photo.php

Sorry about your loss , we too have to take our lab to the vet tomorrow after 17 years , has lost weight and cannot stand on her own , Dr says there is nothing more that can be done. Their time with us is way to short :(

photo.php

I'm sorry for your loss, Caroljo. :(

photo.php

I am very sorry to hear of your loss....we just went thru the same with our rat terrier of 15 years last September....you did what you had to do and I am sure sammy will be waiting for you;)

photo.php

So very sorry, sounds like our little pup toward the end. 16 years and, same here, was a rescue pup.

Thought of getting another, but did not want to go through that again.

Again, sorry for the loss

Thanks Pop! We do have another dog, one that we rescued about a year ago. My daughter and I went to the shelter on a "whim" and I found this little dog, her name was Tinker, and I knew it was an omen!! :) Believe it or not, my maiden name was Tinker, so I knew I had to take her! I'm told she's part Jack Russell, and part Papillon.....such a smart dog! So I think this has helped my husband with this loss :)

I'm so sorry Caroljo....it's never easy saying good bye :(

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,
live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan.

Irving Townsend, "The Once Again Prince,"

photo.php

I know the heartbreak of having to put a beloved pet to sleep. I am sorry for your loss. :(

So sorry for your loss.

Its a tear jerker every time we dog lovers lose a best bud.

Its the price we pay for loving and having dogs as part of our lives.

Sammy looks like a great guy and I know he will always be in your and your husbands hearts.

So sorry for your loss.

Its a tear jerker every time we dog lovers lose a best bud.

Its the price we pay for loving and having dogs as part of our lives.

Sammy looks like a great guy and I know he will always be in your and your husbands hearts.

Thanks Claudette.....it's so weird today not having him around. Our other dog just keeps looking for him!! I don't think it matters how long you've had them too....my daughter adopted a cat at the shelter near the end of Feb. About 3 wks ago she had to put him down because he had feline luekemia :( . She hadn't had him long, but he was such a loving cat. At least they offered her a free cat when she's ready :). It's something how we humans get so attached to our animals :)

I found that if you let the surviving pack members sniff the deceased, they do not mourn or go looking. They know. When I have to put my dog down...the vet comes to my home. Once it is done...we all mourn together, and they smell and sniff, then come sit with me until the body is removed. If the animal dies on the way to ER, bring the body home for a day so they can "smell". Or, take the pack to the vet's prior to cremation..if that is what you chose to do.

I have standing orders that if something happens to me..they are all allowed to visit my body so they can smell my soul is gone. Same with hubby, if he goes before me. They will go to where he is....or i will bring his body home for a wake of the pack mourning his passing. THEN he will be cremated.

CarolJo...your other dog will know if you tell him. Gotta think it in your head. Look in his eyes. And tell him via your mind AND your spoken words that he is gone. Might take a few tries, but he will know.

photo.php

I'm very sorry to hear of you and your hubby's loss. It is a terrible thing to lose a companion....

CarolJo...your other dog will know if you tell him. Gotta think it in your head. Look in his eyes. And tell him via your mind AND your spoken words that he is gone. Might take a few tries, but he will know.

I have talked to her.....but it's too late for the other stuff you told me, Sammy won't be back her for Tinker to know. But we sat together this morning during a thunderstorm (which scares the heck out of her!!) and talked. :)

Dear Carol, so sorry for you and your families loss. :( It is so very hard to lose a family pet so close to our hearts over the years. After they become so old and with health problems, it gets to the point, they let you know they are ready to quit suffering, but it's still very hard to
part with them. Sammy was a Beauty! Hugs to you ((((((((Carol))))))))

Also found a good pic of our other dog Tinker. We got her at the shelter last year, she's about 2 yrs old. I'm told she's Jack Russel / Papillon mix. She's so smart and just a sweetheart! I can't imagine someone taking her to the pound! :)

caroljo-albums-my-kids-grand-kids-picture5614-207349-1648591054411-5768120-n.jpg

Forum List

Back