Had to put my husbands best buddy down today :(

I was dog hunting after my lab died. When he did..the other 2 died within 6 month of each other. Heartbreak, I think. They knew one was gone..then the other. Last one...sigh....he just didn't want to be around any more plus he had cancer. He was 13.
Anyway..after they were all gone..I was packless. So I haunted the dog pound. I saved many dogs...but could find none for me. One lady was walking in to the pound with a full blood scottish terrier. Said they didn't want him any more. I took him from her arms and brought him home and found a lady who had 4 scotties who took him immediately. And I quit going to the pound because I was going crazy at the idiocy I witnessed when there. People taking their older pets there because "they can't play with the kids any more" or "they are too old to be any fun".

I wanted to bitch slap them and knock a few teeth out. Almost did a few times. I was banned from there for a week after I threatened to put a guy in the cage instead of the dog, because the dog was cool and the man was an asshole.

After awhile..I just couldn't go any more. The ones I got now were from Craiglist and the swap meet.

I was dog hunting after my lab died. When he did..the other 2 died within 6 month of each other. Heartbreak, I think. They knew one was gone..then the other. Last one...sigh....he just didn't want to be around any more plus he had cancer. He was 13.
Anyway..after they were all gone..I was packless. So I haunted the dog pound. I saved many dogs...but could find none for me. One lady was walking in to the pound with a full blood scottish terrier. Said they didn't want him any more. I took him from her arms and brought him home and found a lady who had 4 scotties who took him immediately. And I quit going to the pound because I was going crazy at the idiocy I witnessed when there. People taking their older pets there because "they can't play with the kids any more" or "they are too old to be any fun".

I wanted to bitch slap them and knock a few teeth out. Almost did a few times. I was banned from there for a week after I threatened to put a guy in the cage instead of the dog, because the dog was cool and the man was an asshole.

After awhile..I just couldn't go any more. The ones I got now were from Craiglist and the swap meet.

It IS really hard to go to the pound and see all those animals! We always want to take them all home! I can't imagine going there all the time like you did!

Sorry. I can relate. There is no way to replace a loss like that, but time does heal. Do get another dog. Although that is just as hard.

Sorry. I can relate. There is no way to replace a loss like that, but time does heal. Do get another dog. Although that is just as hard.

We do have another dog...I posted a picture of her above. So that has helped :)

I know I am the local weirdo...but that's ok. Works for me, lol.
When the last one died (had him put to sleep)..I waited after I couldn't find any other dogs that cliqued with me. And I wanted Charlie and Chooch back. So...I began looking for puppies. Charlie and Chooch would come back in another body, I was positive of it.

And they did. But as females. Charlie is Gracie (sheperds both). Chooch is Karma labradors). I got them back. Just new bodies. The cat I didn't get back, unfortunately.

Found a pic of Sammy.....had to share :)

caroljo-albums-my-kids-grand-kids-picture5613-168230-10152796291625511-1975114821-n.jpg

Very nice looking Dog.
So sorry to hear of your loss. It's very hard on us when they have to go.

May the many happy days spent with your beloved pet always be remembered.

I know I am the local weirdo...but that's ok. Works for me, lol.
When the last one died (had him put to sleep)..I waited after I couldn't find any other dogs that cliqued with me. And I wanted Charlie and Chooch back. So...I began looking for puppies. Charlie and Chooch would come back in another body, I was positive of it.

And they did. But as females. Charlie is Gracie (sheperds both). Chooch is Karma labradors). I got them back. Just new bodies. The cat I didn't get back, unfortunately.

I don't think you're a weirdo :) Just because you think about things differently than others doesn't make you wrong! I think it's wonderful that you know you got them back, now you can heal!

Sammy has been with us since 1997 when we rescued him at the shelter. He was about 1 1/2 yrs old then, so he was close to 18 today. He was a Wire haired Dauschaund/terrier mix. He had actually died about a year ago at the vets after he was put to sleep for an extensive teeth cleaning, and our vet brought him back! So we got another good year with him. He's had arthritis for at least a couple years, and gradually got worse. He's had problems controlling his bowels/bladder. But this last weekend it got really bad. This morning i had to carry him outside and back in. My husband was home today and had to clean up quite a few messes (plus he was throwing up). Took him to the Vet after work, sat with him as he passed. He's out of pain now....

photo.php

I can feel your sadness, Caroljo. May it last not too long as the void fills with beautiful memories of fun and loving times together.

Tender hugs to you and your hubby,

Athena

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words. This also gives me hope, because some of us do not see eye to eye on different subject (Politics, Religion, etc), but we can all agree that we have a lot of love in our hearts. We may not agree on most things, but we can agree that love and family are the most important things in our lives. I still have some faith that we can all overcome our differences, we have a lot in common :)

The loss of a beloved pet and family member is painful But he's no longer suffering.

I never met Sammy but as an animal lover can honestly say I miss him. RIP Sammy!

I am so sorry for you. It's the loss of a loved one after all. Sammy will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge for you.

I hear you, caroljo...

I watched "Frankenweenie" 4 times and I cried like a baby from beginning to end remembering my dog, Pepita.

She looked a lot like your little brown Pinscher with giant ears...

I hope he's alive and well. Everytime I saw your av I felt an irresistible desire to squeeze him. :D

José;7191385 said:
I hear you, caroljo...

I watched "Frankenweenie" 4 times and I cried like a baby from beginning to end remembering my dog, Pepita.

She looked a lot like your little brown Pinscher with giant ears...

I hope he's alive and well. Everytime I saw your av I felt an irresistible desire to squeeze him. :D

Are you talking about the picture i posted of Tinker? I did have her as my avatar for a while....I can see how you'd think she was a Pincher, but when we got her at the shelter they said she's Jack Russell/Papillon mix. She's awesome!! We got her at the shelter last year, she's about 2 yrs old :)

I am so sorry :(

Thanks CMike :) I see you have a couple pretty special dogs yourself! :)
We're doing fine, and we know it was for the best. When we took him in to the Vet, it only took him a few minutes to know that it was time for Sam, and we knew it too. When your buddy just lays in your lap, and no other dog in the waiting room can even make him move, he's tired and ready. Even when we laid him on the blue blanket the vet laid out, he just laid there. I'm ok with it all, I know Sammy is just fine! :)

CarolJo...your other dog will know if you tell him. Gotta think it in your head. Look in his eyes. And tell him via your mind AND your spoken words that he is gone. Might take a few tries, but he will know.

that is true gracie

we had two chows

sash the female went first

nick missed her so much

we would show him pictures of her and he seemed to enjoy it

Forum List

Back