Hamburglar, Spuds and now Colonel Sanders retire as fast food grows up

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
I don't really think mascots have that much of a negative impact on marketing,so other than a cost issue...I really don't see why retiring the Hamburgler or Col Sanders (for instance) makes that much of an impact on sales. You still associate them with the franchise weather or not you actually see them on logo's. They now have nostalgic qualities and can be used in a positive way in the future. Kind of like the re release of the Original Doritos in the nostalgic packaging.

Also...apparently Hooters updated their owl logo. Did any of you men actually notice this? I'm really not thinking the "owl" is what most people think of when contemplating Hooters ;)

Oh, where are the brand mascots of yesteryear? The Quisps, the Hamburglars, the Colonels who tweaked our fancy and tickled our tastebuds?

It seems like almost every day, the brand images that many Americans grew up with are being shelved.

The latest victim could be the string-tie wearing symbol of KFC, Colonel Sanders. Although he got a facelift back in 2006, the Colonel Sanders logo edged closer to retirement this week as the KFC brand rolled out a new restaurant concept without the Colonel’s goateed visage accompanying it.

Analysts say it is part of a broader trend of fast food chains abandoning the mascots that once defined them. As they embrace a healthier, more upscale image, cartoons and kitsch don’t have the selling power they once did.

Hamburglar, Spuds and now Colonel Sanders retire as fast food grows up - TODAY.com

Forum List

Back