Handloaders: Anyone use Titegroup for 9mm?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I had a one-pound can of Hodgdon Titegroup pistol powder, so I thought I'd work up a load for 9mm. I used a Nosler 124 grain JHP, Winchester cases trimmed to 0.749", CCI #500 primers, and an OAL of 1.140". The starting load was listed at 3.6 grains for a velocity of 957 fps, and the maximum load was listed at 4.1 grains for 1,057 fps.

I loaded five rounds each from minimum to maximum, at a 0.1 grain interval. The powder was dispensed from an RCBS Powdermaster powder dispenser, into an RCBS Powder Pro digital scale, and each powder throw was double checked on a Frankfort Arsenal digital scale. I also used a light tapered crimp with a crimping die.

Each group of five rounds were fired through an well-worn Ruger P89. The Ruger is expendable, in case a handload accidentally goes "kaboom." They were fired through a "Shooting Chrony" chronograph at a range of 10 feet, and each fired cartridge case was carefully inspected for signs of excess pressure.

The average of the velocity was as follows:

3.6 gr. - 963 fps
3.7 gr. - 981 fps
3.8 gr. - 989 fps
3.9 gr. - 1033 fps
4.0 gr. - 1040 fps
4.1 gr. - 1059 fps

From 3.6 to 3.8 grains, the cases exhibited carbon residue on the outside, which is a sign that they were not fully expanding in the chamber. At 4.0 to 4.1 grains, the loads felt "snappy" and the pistol started throwing the cases in a close proximity to each other.

titegroup1.jpg

titegroup2.jpg

titegroup3.jpg

titegroup4.jpg

titegroup5.jpg

Hodgdon Titegroup is a decent pistol powder because it's fast-burning, and you use smaller charges. It does have one problem though: It is tricky to use because the internal pressure of the cartridge can jump up drastically, with only a 0.1 grain difference in the charge.

Note: The data I provided should only be used with caution, and may not apply to the particular pistol you have. Always start at the minimum load according to a current reloading manual, and work your way up in .1 grain intervals. I am not responsible for any injury or damage caused by the data I provided.

Happy shooting!

Nice ! Without me searching how does that powder compare with 2400 ?

Titegroup is a faster burning powder for small-caliber pistols. 2400 does better with heavier calibers at higher-velocity magnum loads, although I have used it in .30 carbine.

Haven't used it. Sure got a mess of powder stashed though! Better weather coming. My loaders are in an unheated shop.

It's warmed up into the 50's here, so I have the garage door open and the furnace off.

I've changed my reloading routine: Instead of loading up a hundred rounds and chronographing and figuring out which load shoots the tightest groups, I'm just loading up five rounds from the starting load to the maximum, and measuring which charge is within whatever the published velocity should be, without signs of pressure.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I'm not trying to drive tacks with them, so good enough is good enough.

It's warmed up into the 50's here, so I have the garage door open and the furnace off.

I've changed my reloading routine: Instead of loading up a hundred rounds and chronographing and figuring out which load shoots the tightest groups, I'm just loading up five rounds from the starting load to the maximum, and measuring which charge is within whatever the published velocity should be, without signs of pressure.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I'm not trying to drive tacks with them, so good enough is good enough.

I have done the same, 5 rounds each is plenty. We had an indoor range in Manie, lead only so some things like a 9x18 mak had to work some up. Great fun. I'm a 45acp 1911 fan for 44 years now (first one) but I shoot many pistols. Love 38sp. The maks were just plain fun and were inexpensive. Don't have one now but have the Polish factory 11 P83 It's the one "girl with the dragon tattoo" trilogy shot the biker in the foot with. Well made and 100% reliable does not do it justice.

8065342_04_polish_p_83_makarov_9x18_pisto_640.jpg

Continued:

So yesterday I found a 250-piece box of Berry's 115 grain RN plated bullets I had stashed away. The Berry's bullets are copper-plated, so you don't want to push them faster than 1200 fps.

I loaded five rounds each with some Hodgdon HP-38 powder using CCI #500 primers and an overall length of 1.14", at 4.1 - 4.6 grains of powder. When I and chronographed them through the Ruger P89, it resulted in the following average velocities:

4.1 gr - 895 fps
4.2 gr. - 974 fps
4.3 gr - 987 fps
4.4 gr - 1020 fps
4.5 gr - 1042 fps
4.6 gr - 1080 fps

I bumped the charge up a little later in the afternoon and loaded up some more:

4.4 gr - 1025 fps
4.5 gr - 1033 fps
4.6 gr - 1059 fps
4.6 gr - 1087 fps
4.8 gr - 1116 fps

That's as fast as I wanted to push those plated bullets, as the plating tends to strip off at a higher velocity.

Today I decided to load up a few 124 grain Nosler jacketed hollow points using Hodgdon Titegroup. Using 4.0 grains of powder and shooting them through a Spanish-made Star Model B with a 5" barrel resulted in the following measured velocities:

1066 fps
1068 fps
1037 fps
1045 fps
1062 fps
Average velocity: 1056 fps

Using the same 4.0 grain charge through a Glock 19 with a 4" barrel resulted in the following:

1016 fps
1014 fps
1033 fps
1012 fps
1025 fps
1004 fps
Average velocity: 1017 fps

As you can see, the extra 1" difference in the3 Star Model B barrel resulted in an average velocity of 39 fps. A charge of 4.0 grains is not what you'd call a "hot" load, as accuracy starts to degrade once you pass a certain point. 124 grains of lead at a muzzle velocity of 1017 fps results in 284.8 foot pounds of energy. For comparison, Aguila 124 gr FMJ has a mv of 1126 fps @ 351 ft-lb, Blazer 124 gr FMJ is 1090 fps @ 327 ft-lb, Federal 124 gr JHP has a mv of 1120 fps @ 345 ft-lb, and Winchester 124 gr FMJ has a mv of 1140 fps @ 358 ft-lb.

Like I said, you sacrifice accuracy for power.

I then loaded up 100 rounds of 124 grain Nosler jacketed hollow points using Hodgdon Titegroup, at 4.0 grains of powder. 4.0 grains is a comfortable median point and allows for a .1 grain plus or minus variation when throwing the powder charge from a manually-operated powder dispenser.

The powder dispenser I use is an RCBS Uniflow powder measure. It's fairly accurate once the vernier adjustment is set for a particular charge, and doesn't require measuring each charge on a scale. I do check every fifth charge on a scale though, for safety purposes...

uniflow1.jpg

uniflow2.jpg

uniflow3.jpg

I set up a couple targets outside and shot those loads through the Star Model B and a Glock 19, respectively. The range was 25 yards (75 feet) and I was shooting offhand from a standing position. Probably could have gotten tighter groups if I was shooting from a sandbagged rest, but the accuracy wasn't too shabby....

From the Star Model B:

uniflow4.jpg

From the Glock:

uniflow5.jpg

I have that powder measure too. Been working perfect many decades. I also check on a scale frequently. Old style rcbs beam. :)

Now you got me wanting to reload some more. Need more 20 and 12 ga for clays. Got a MEC for each.

Forum List

Back