Happy Birthday 17th Amendment! 100 years of direct voting for Senators.

velvtacheeze

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2013
On April 8, 1913, Connecticut made America a better place by ratifying the 17th Amendment to the US Constitution. :clap2:

Like legal slavery in the South, not giving the citizens of the States the power to choose their Senators directly was a mistake of our Founding Fathers that was eventually corrected by the American people. The fact that it was enacted by the very institutions which would lose power if enacted makes it all the more satisfying that it passed.

Another prog ignoramus who has NFI why the republic was designed and set up the way it was.

The citizens of the states had all the say they wanted in choosing Senators, by voting for state Representatives and Governors.

Comparing the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures to slavery is breathtaking in its stupidity.

Another prog ignoramus who has NFI why the republic was designed and set up the way it was.

The citizens of the states had all the say they wanted in choosing Senators, by voting for state Representatives and Governors.

Comparing the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures to slavery is breathtaking in its stupidity.

You ill-spoken oaf. Your reply is embarrassing. What slavery and the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures have in common is that they were mistakes of our founding fathers that were corrected by later Americans. The idea that I argued that there was any further similarity than that is nonsense. You can shut up now.

And I have every idea why the republic was set up the way it was: To protect slave owners from having their "rights" to slaves voted out of existence. Once Slavery was abolished, the real justification for the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures became less defensible over time, and so the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures was justifiably scrapped.

That the people who lived in pre-17th Amen America felt the need to enact it is more convincing to me that it was the right thing to do than the eye-rolling rantings of some anonymous conservative doof on a message board.

You ill-spoken oaf. Your reply is embarrassing. What slavery and the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures have in common is that they were mistakes of our founding fathers that were corrected by later Americans. The idea that I argued that there was any further similarity than that is nonsense. You can shut up now.

And I have every idea why the republic was set up the way it was: To protect slave owners from having their "rights" to slaves voted out of existence. Once Slavery was abolished, the real justification for the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures became less defensible over time, and so the appointment of Senators by the state legislatures was justifiably scrapped.

That the people who lived in pre-17th Amen America felt the need to enact it is more convincing to me that it was the right thing to do than the eye-rolling rantings of some anonymous conservative doof on a message board.

You sir, are an idiot.

You sir, are an idiot.

Yes, your side of the debate doesn't have much more than name-calling.

you ill-spoken oaf. your reply is embarrassing. What slavery and the appointment of senators by the state legislatures have in common is that they were mistakes of our founding fathers that were corrected by later americans. The idea that i argued that there was any further similarity than that is nonsense. you can shut up now.

And i have every idea why the republic was set up the way it was: To protect slave owners from having their "rights" to slaves voted out of existence. Once slavery was abolished, the real justification for the appointment of senators by the state legislatures became less defensible over time, and so the appointment of senators by the state legislatures was justifiably scrapped.

That the people who lived in pre-17th amen america felt the need to enact it is more convincing to me that it was the right thing to do than the eye-rolling rantings of some anonymous conservative doof on a message board.

you sir, are an idiot.

yes, your side of the debate doesn't have much more than name-calling.

o rly????

You sir, are an idiot.

Yes, your side of the debate doesn't have much more than name-calling.
The first sentence in your reply to me was nothing but name-calling, shit-for-brains.

And he's right...You are a fucking idiot, who hasn't the first fucking idea of what he's blabbering about.

On April 8, 1913, Connecticut made America a better place by ratifying the 17th Amendment to the US Constitution. :clap2:

Like legal slavery in the South, not giving the citizens of the States the power to choose their Senators directly was a mistake of our Founding Fathers that was eventually corrected by the American people. The fact that it was enacted by the very institutions which would lose power if enacted makes it all the more satisfying that it passed.

frabz-rev-up-those-dicks-op-is-on-the-loose-again-bf85e8.jpg

republicans like less voting power for the voters.

they win more elections that way

I agree.

Welcome to the 20th century.

A great Amendment devolving power on the people and taking it away from the power blocs in the state senates.

Look very carefully of the motives of those who still oppose it. They are hiding something very smelly about themselves.

It's the first amendment I'd repeal. It's why so few even know their own state's law makers.

I get it was a helpful to the central planner types, which is why it would be the first on the chopping block. Local governance is always better for the locality than central planning. Always. Not so good for those that seek to rule from afar.

Forum List

Back