Harvard Scientist, Longtime Solar Skeptic, Now Sees the Light

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Harvard Scientist, Longtime Solar Skeptic, Now Sees the Light

David Keith, a Harvard University scientist, has long doubted solar energy’s potential to compete on cost with conventional power sources. Now he sees the light. “I was wrong,” largely because the fundamentals of solar power have changed, Keith, a professor of applied physics and public policy, wrote in a recent essay. “One can now build systems in the world’s sunny locations and get very cheap power.”

0OajkYX.png

His reversal reflects the steep declines in producing electricity from sunlight. Even without government subsidies, power from large solar farms in some regions is now significantly below $40 a megawatt-hour and is on pace to drop below $20 by 2020, Keith wrote. That would be the cheapest power on the planet. It’s a significant shift from his earlier stance, that high costs would relegate solar power to being “green bling for the wealthy.”

Solar power only really works in certain areas effectively. However there is no alternative energy source that can replace fossil fuels at this time.

David Keith? The Global Warming scientist changes his mind? Right! How come the article uses "power purchase agreements" and not the cost of panels?

Solar is the desert, makes no sense, Solar requires millions of gallons of water, which as we know, is in very short supply in California, Arizona, and Nevada.

Of course there is also the thousands upon thousands of bird deaths.

And of course lets not forget that Solar requires 1000's of square miles of free public land to be given to the Solar companies.

David Keith, sounds like a Harvard "scientist" we can fire from his job, and live happily without his contribution to "science", which is simply spending government money on his "research"?

I'll believe it when I see solar panels that I can afford for my roofs.

Forum List

Back