Health Insurance Market Place, will it work?

Simple answer: No.

Complicated answer: No.

It was passed against the will of Americans, so for that reason it deserves to fail. On top of that, 2AD, health insurance premiums are slated to rise once Obamacare takes full effect. That should tell you what you need to know.

Simple answer: No.

Complicated answer: No.

It was passed against the will of Americans, so for that reason it deserves to fail. On top of that, 2AD, health insurance premiums are slated to rise once Obamacare takes full effect. That should tell you what you need to know.

It's one of the few major issues I have never really studied in detail.

The gov't is going to subsidize people's premiums who can't afford them. Now, for the bonus: what happens to prices when the gov't offers subsidies? Just check out college tuition, which has been subsidized for over 30 years. Right, increases of 257% over 30 years, way beyond the rate of inflation. Why is it going to be different this time?

If you are healthy & had your own individual or family insurance, you will pay a lot more.

If you are in a large group or are sick you will pay less. Maybe the national average price will fall.

Simple answer is that my family & I were all healthy & paying low rates for grate 100% coverage after max out of pocket deductible. Now we will have to pay the same high rates as most others & pay for 20% of any medical cost. So It sucks for me any way you slice it.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

As opposed as I am to government intervention, I'm not the type that hopes it fails for the sake of failing.

Do you think it will help create competition across state lines and whatnot, and bring down prices?

Here was something i learned form the website:

https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy-a-catastrophic-plan/

There IS competition between the 1,300 existing health insurance companies as it was for the truly 4 million that needed and wanted health insurance!
There never were 46 million when you subtract 18 million that DON"T want, 14 million already covered but don't know it by Medicaid and 10 million that are not legal citizens and therefore CAN'T get health insurance!
States regulate insurance companies and the premiums!
But with more and more insurance companies dropping out of health insurance business, i.e. employers dropping health insurance, Unions getting charged more because of ACA taxes... THERE ARE less insurance companies and there fore less
to choose from.
SEE ignorance about the FACTS that there are truly less then 4 million that want insurance and how insurance works is driving this stupid ACA!
I still don't comprehend WHY $850 billion a year acknowledged by physicians that
are filed as claims for duplicate tests,etc. because THE SAID THEY fear lawsuits
isn't a hue and cry for lawyers to be taxed 10% like the tanning salons were in ACA!
I mean why are you people defending the millionaire ambulance chasing TV saturated advertising $850 billion a year wasteful spending lawyers?
Tax them 10% of their $270 billion and use that to pay a $5,000 premium for each of the truly 4 million uninsured!
Then see how quickly HEALTH INSURANCE premiums drop all because the $850 billion spent in defensive medicine declines AND the billions hospitals pad and pass sometimes 6,000% markups to Medicare/insurance companies decline!
AND when these claims decline... Premiums decline!

Simple simple simple!
TAX lawyers 10% use to pay premiums for the truly 4 million uninsured!
Hospitals audited to make sure no longer "padding and passing" sometimes 6,000% and see how quickly premiums drop!

As opposed as I am to government intervention, I'm not the type that hopes it fails for the sake of failing.

Do you think it will help create competition across state lines and whatnot, and bring down prices?

Here was something i learned form the website:

https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy-a-catastrophic-plan/

It won't create the kind of competition we need. What we need is innovation that explores other solutions. The traditional approach of group health insurance is an obvious failure and we need alternative models. By dictating how we must insure ourselves, PPACA replaces free market competition with political wrangling.

Yes. We already know that at least 31 states are going to have out-of-state (multi-state) insurance plans available in their markets next year; by 2017 every single state will.

Early data from the federally-facilitated exchanges shows that three-fourths of those states have had at least one new insurer enter their market, the majority of those entrants being in states whose market had previously been dominated by a single insurer. The same is turning out to be true in the states running their own exchanges. In short: New data show health exchanges expand competition.

That goes along with next year's premium numbers consistently coming in lower than expected. Back in July, an analysis of the available premium data found that costs were on average 18 percent lower than the numbers the CBO guestimated back in 2010 when calculating the cost of the law. And since that analysis, even more data has come out, like the lower-than-expected premiums Utah announced two weeks ago, or Minnesota unveiling the lowest premiums in the country last Friday.

Interestingly, a few reddish states, beginning with Arkansas, have developed a plan to also use the new marketplaces to engineer a "private option" for people enrolled in Medicaid:

The Arkansas Medicaid Model: What You Need To Know About The 'Private Option'
Q: What’s the Medicaid expansion and what is the Arkansas plan?

A: Expanding the Medicaid program accounted for more than half of the 30 million or so uninsured people who were supposed gain coverage through the Affordable Care Act. The Supreme Court's decision making Medicaid expansion optional, combined with red-state reluctance, have reduced chances of reaching the coverage targets.

Arkansas would let newly eligible Medicaid beneficiaries shop for insurance policies along with other consumers in the online marketplaces, also known as exchanges, created by the health law. Arkansas House Speaker Davy Carter, a Republican, called the idea "a conservative alternative to the policy forced upon us by the federal government."

Q: How is the Arkansas proposal different from traditional Medicaid?

A: Medicaid is a combined federal and state program for low-income and disabled people that for many years paid health care providers for each procedure as well as each doctor and hospital visit. Recently most Medicaid treatment has shifted to managed-care plans run by private insurance companies with incentives to keep costs down. Arkansas takes the privatization idea a step further by letting many Medicaid consumers shop for the same commercial insurance available to those who aren’t eligible for the program.

"The menu of options is going to look the same" for eligible Medicaid consumers as for anybody else buying through the online marketplaces, said Matt Salo, executive director of the National Association of Medicaid Directors. "Access to physicians is going to look the same."

Interesting, those marketplaces.

Ah yes, our own Obamacare flack dropping in to spread some propaganda.

Never mind the exchanges are supposed to open next month and are nowhere near ready. Never mind that gov't subsidies have always and everywhere increased prices. Never mind that there is no market mechanism anywhere. Never mind that young healthy people will be forced to subsidize old fat people. NEver mind that this wont work, as young healthy people will pay the penalty rather than buy health insurance.

Obamacare is a piece of crap. It needs to be defunded now.

Forum List

Back