Hello! from Sunni Man

I don't generally go around looking at people trying to guess their religion, nor do I care who pairs up with whom. Believe it or not, Americans who don't live in Boston aren't all ignorant hicks.

I don't generally go around looking at people trying to guess their religion, nor do I care who pairs up with whom. Believe it or not, Americans who don't live in Boston aren't all ignorant hicks.
I have been in Boston for less than 2 years.

Spent most of my life in Oklahoma and Texas.

Yee Haww!!!! :)

Actually, there are alot of Muslims in Boston and the surrounding area.

A little over a year ago, the Islamic community of Boston built the largest Mosque in all of New England.

If you saw me in person, you would Never know I am a Muslim. I am a blue eyed white man and wear regular everyday clothes.

Unless I am with my wife. Then it's a dead give away, because she wears hijab. Also, were get alot of looks, because she is a black African from Somalia. Even Muslims who don't know us take a second look. :lol:

I’m not saying Boston isn’t diverse, because it always has been. The Irish hate the Italians, and the Italians hate the Jews, and the Jews hate the Asians, all vice versa of course, and everyone hates the blacks. I’m sure even the blacks hate the Muslims.

When I was lived in Hartford I became very friendly with a gal who’s ancestry was 100% west African. Her skin was the color of French Roast and she had a muscular, full figured body. Then there’s me Scots-Irish-German-English, tall and lean, white as a hanky. She was the most stunning beauty that I have ever personally known, so I don’t know if the looks we got were from that or from our obvious differences.

I’m not saying Boston isn’t diverse, because it always has been. The Irish hate the Italians, and the Italians hate the Jews, and the Jews hate the Asians, all vice versa of course, and everyone hates the blacks. I’m sure even the blacks hate the Muslims.

When I was lived in Hartford I became very friendly with a gal who’s ancestry was 100% west African. Her skin was the color of French Roast and she had a muscular, full figured body. Then there’s me Scots-Irish-German-English, tall and lean, white as a hanky. She was the most stunning beauty that I have ever personally known, so I don’t know if the looks we got were from that or from our obvious differences.
Too bad you let that one get away! She sounded like a Keeper!!

I have been on the fourm for a couple of days. So I thought I had better introduce myself.

Lived most of my life in Oklahoma and Texas. Currently living in Yankee land. Boston!! :eek:

I am an American convert to Islam and have been a Muslim for over 7 years.

Before converting to Islam, I was a very dedicated Christian and am well versed in the Bible.

I am a Vietnam Era Vet and am totally opposed to the Iraq War.

Also, I am very conservative in my politics, but have turned my back to the Republican Party.

My wife is from the Middle East, speaks Arabic, and wears the Hijab. (scarf)

Any questions on Islam or the Quran are welcome.

Well, hopefully, you'll bring a different slant to the conversations we have here.

I'll be watching...................:eusa_angel:

Actually, there are alot of Muslims in Boston and the surrounding area.

A little over a year ago, the Islamic community of Boston built the largest Mosque in all of New England.

If you saw me in person, you would Never know I am a Muslim. I am a blue eyed white man and wear regular everyday clothes.

Unless I am with my wife. Then it's a dead give away, because she wears hijab. Also, were get alot of looks, because she is a black African from Somalia. Even Muslims who don't know us take a second look. :lol:

Another question, if I may. What sect of Christianity did you convert from and were you raised in a very religious family?

Another question, if I may. What sect of Christianity did you convert from and were you raised in a very religious family?
I was raised in a nominal Catholic family. At 20 years of age. I married a girl who was Soutthern Baptist. We attended her church and were very active. I was saved and Baptized. After about 15 years, we moved on to various Non Denominational and Full Gospel type of churches. I studied the Bible very intensely and read it several times.

I even went to a Jewish Synagogue so that I could understand the Old Testament (Torah) even better.

Eventually, I came to several conclusions: Jesus wasn't God or divine. He advocated following the Levitical Laws. He never ate pork or violated any of the Laws. And that Paul had hijacked the religion from Jesus, and started his own religion, now called Christianity.

One day I read the opening verses of the Quran, and was startled at the words of spirituality. The more I read and studied, the more I was convienced that this book and the teachings of Muhammad were the Truth for all of mankind.

I found that Islam matched all of my beliefs in every area of my life; sprituality, politically, socially, everything. It is a total package for a person to live by and structure their life.

I was raised in a nominal Catholic family. At 20 years of age. I married a girl who was Soutthern Baptist. We attended her church and were very active. I was saved and Baptized. After about 15 years, we moved on to various Non Denominational and Full Gospel type of churches. I studied the Bible very intensely and read it several times.

I even went to a Jewish Synagogue so that I could understand the Old Testament (Torah) even better.

Eventually, I came to several conclusions: Jesus wasn't God or divine. He advocated following the Levitical Laws. He never ate pork or violated any of the Laws. And that Paul had hijacked the religion from Jesus, and started his own religion, now called Christianity.

One day I read the opening verses of the Quran, and was startled at the words of spirituality. The more I read and studied, the more I was convienced that this book and the teachings of Muhammad were the Truth for all of mankind.

I found that Islam matched all of my beliefs in every area of my life; sprituality, politically, socially, everything. It is a total package for a person to live by and structure their life.

Ya? So when ya gonna go off on a Jihad? Why are you living in the Great Satan's lands under his control?

The Muslim religion believes in murder as well, it is ok to murder non believers if they will not convert, as well as murdering anyone that abandons the Muslim religion. I guess you support those beliefs too?

Hey.. you're the one who says he knows the koran. i'm just quoting it for you....

or did you not know those are the lovely spiritual words of the koran?
I am sure that you can come up with some mistranslated verses to back your Islamophobic slander. But that doesn't make them real or authentic.

You do not even know what is in the book you claim you support.
Really??

9:71 The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Apostle. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise.

9:72 Allah hath promised to Believers, men and women, gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah: that is the supreme felicity.

I am sure that you can come up with some mistranslated verses to back your Islamophobic slander. But that doesn't make them real or authentic.

There's only one person who says daraba should be translated as less than beating... and she isn't exactly well accepted...

Religious scholars outline several main threads in the translation of daraba. Conservative scholars suggest the verse has to be taken at face value, with important reservations. They consider that the Koran holds that force is an acceptable last resort to preserve important institutions, including marriages and nations. Some scholars have accused some Muslims of trying to make the verse palatable to the West.

Verse in Koran on beating wife gets a new translation - International Herald Tribune

so.. if it's mistranslated, what's the meaning of daraba?

Really??

9:71 The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Apostle. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise.

9:72 Allah hath promised to Believers, men and women, gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein, and beautiful mansions in gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the good pleasure of Allah: that is the supreme felicity.

And yet Jillian has provided you a quote you know nothing about? Whats wrong? Depending on someone else to translate for you?

Arabic is a language with many and various shades of meaning. Here is a quote from a source that explains it very well.

The Arabic word used in Quran Verse 4:34 is "idribuhunna", which is derived from "daraba" which means "beat". The issue with all of the Arabic words that are derived from the word "daraba" is that they don't necessarily mean "hit". The word "idribuhunna" for instance, could very well mean to "leave" them. It is exactly like telling someone to "beat it" or "drop it" in English.

Arabic is a language with many and various shades of meaning. Here is a quote from a source that explains it very well.

The Arabic word used in Quran Verse 4:34 is "idribuhunna", which is derived from "daraba" which means "beat". The issue with all of the Arabic words that are derived from the word "daraba" is that they don't necessarily mean "hit". The word "idribuhunna" for instance, could very well mean to "leave" them. It is exactly like telling someone to "beat it" or "drop it" in English.

So, wait a minute? Is divorce or abandonment condoned by the Muslim faith? I suspect not since you get killed if you leave the religion.

Forum List

Back