Henotheism and Atheism

The Catholic church sold the farm out from under their flock when it accepted Darwinian evolution.
How they were able to reconcile that with literal belief in their bible will always be a mystery.
Catholics (like Jews) do not take every word or story in the Bible literally. A literal Bible was something Evangelicals began pushing back in the 1970s. Catholics ignored them. (Baptists may have already believed in taking the Bible literally.) By the way Catholics have no problem with people taking the Bible literally.
The Catholic church has no problem with any compromises to their faith beliefs it seems.

Accepting Darwinian evolution was the compromise that trumps all others.
That is, unless you can think of a greater one in the works?

Don't attempt any literal interpretations of the bible(s) that aren't consistent with Darwin. And don't even think of promoting ID pseudo-science!

So do you or do you not commune with your god through prayer or does god just hit you with a spiritual experience out of the blue?
What do you know of prayer? What is "communing" with God--or at least what do you think it is? Honest question as I have no idea.

So do you or do you not commune with your god through prayer or does god just hit you with a spiritual experience out of the blue?
What do you know of prayer? What is "communing" with God--or at least what do you think it is? Honest question as I have no idea.
You tell me since you're the one who is telling me what my experiences are or aren't.

If you talk to your god and "experience" it
I don't even know what you are imagining. I have said nothing about talking to God and "experiencing" it.
Experiencing god.

How many times have you said that in this thread?

Does your god decide when you will have a god experience randomly or do you instigate whatever it is you call. a god experience by some thought or action?

You tell me since you're the one who is telling me what my experiences are or aren't.
I haven't said word one about your experiences. You have told me they begin and end in the mind/brain. You have told me about sensory deprivation, peyote, meditation, etc.

You have told me that my experiences are all in my mind/brain--nothing beyond that.

I haven't said word one about your experiences. You have told me they begin and end in the mind/brain. You have told me about sensory deprivation, peyote, meditation, etc.

You have told me that my experiences are all in my mind/brain--nothing beyond that.

I have asked you repeatedly how you know your god experience isn't the same thing as my spiritual experience and you only say they are different but you won't say how.

Christians on this forum are safe as long as they don't start making claims outside of their minds/brains. So far few have and so their beliefs are harmless to others.

Christianity is fading in the West and so it's likely non sustainable without the superstitious nonsense that is promoted by their bible(s).

It's time christians circle the wagons and come up with a formula for what is the truth and what needs to be thrown out as to contradictory to modern science. Young people who are religion's future are going to want to know!

Their parents aren't indoctrinating them into superstitious beliefs in sufficient numbers. If children escape the indoctrination until they're 12 years old, they will always be risks for backsliding.

Christianity is fading in the West and so it's likely non sustainable without the superstitious nonsense that is promoted by their bible(s).
Is Christianity fading among those who have never taken everything in the Bible as literal? Is Judaism (also does not take everything literally) fading?

It's time christians circle the wagons and come up with a formula for what is the truth and what needs to be thrown out as to contradictory to modern science. Young people who are religion's future are going to want to know!
Nothing in the Bible needs to be thrown out. People simply need to understand that not every word is literal. Some major Protestant teachings (i.e., young Earth, "Rapture") didn't sprout until over fifteen hundred years after the Bible was written. And then, they used the King James English, not the original languages to come up with these present-day conclusions.

I have asked you repeatedly how you know your god experience isn't the same thing as my spiritual experience and you only say they are different but you won't say how.
I've repeatedly told you my experience is not limited to the mind/brain. You insist that it is. We have come full circle and circling again would be redundant.

Nothing in the Bible needs to be thrown out. People simply need to understand that not every word is literal. Some major Protestant teachings (i.e., young Earth, "Rapture") didn't sprout until over fifteen hundred years after the Bible was written. And then, they used the King James English, not the original languages to come up with these present-day conclusions.
Thrown out or proclaimed to not be taken literally, either is satisfactory.
That which is not satisfactory is christians attempting to promote biblical nonsense that can't possibly be the truth.

This allows atheists and agnostics to assume that nothing in the bible(s) is the truth, until something specific from the bibles is promoted.

Thrown out or proclaimed to not be taken literally, either is satisfactory.
That which is not satisfactory is christians attempting to promote biblical nonsense that can't possibly be the truth.

This allows atheists and agnostics to assume that nothing in the bible(s) is the truth, until something specific from the bibles is promoted.
Keep in mind the majority of Christians do not proclaim a literal Bible. That is actually a vocal minority. On the other hand, I am not sure the majority understand the Bible accounts much better. We simply do not have the time for study and research. Most of us have the understanding of a twelve-year-old, or as St. Theresa of Avila put it about six hundred years ago, if we use an analogy of a seven story castle, with each story having an over abundance of room, even most of the faithful church goers only reach the porch or maybe the foyer. We don't realize how much is left to explore.

Atheists, today, can't seem to get past the Book of Genesis. With Young Earth, a planet wide flood, etc., (wrongly) being insisted upon by a few denominations they cannot reconcile the Bible with their science text. Nor should they. If they research scholarly rabbinical commentary, it does not take long to realize Judaism does not read the Bible as a science book, more like a book of philosophy and/or morality. We do not expect a science text to teach our children morality; therefore we should not expect the Bible to teach them science.

Nor should they. If they research scholarly rabbinical commentary, it does not take long to realize Judaism does not read the Bible as a science book, more like a book of philosophy and/or morality. We do not expect a science text to teach our children morality; therefore we should not expect the Bible to teach them science.

Stop!
You can't claim the bibles teach morality. They all teach the more evil of ideals to children and the teaching is child abuse because they lie to children of an impressionable age.
That's stepping out of bounds just as surely as claiming a 6000 year old earth.

Aside from that there is statistical proof that something close to 40% of Americans believe in creation and reject Darwinian evolution. Those people can't make the claim when they know they can do it covertly, than magically disappear on a forum such as this.

In any case, step back from your claim of the bibles teaching morality and you'll still be on safe ground.

Stop!
You can't claim the bibles teach morality.
Of course it teaches morality. Is there a particular story where you think it does not?
Basically the whole thing. Murder! Racism! Child abuse! Lies! Superstitious beliefs! Discrimination against women!

I don't quote verses or paragraphs out of bibles but I have heard experts such as Dillihunty for one example, who does and the incidents of evil promoted by the bibles are clearly pointed out.

If you've read any bibles you'll be familiar with some of that evil.

Keep pushing the point with your denial and I'll get into quoting specifics, if I must.

A sampling of the bible's teaching of murder being acceptable to the god or gods.

Anyone interested in interpreting any of the bibles can step right up.
Anyone who thinks they can talk it away then I'm anxious to hear it!

Christians who choose to remain on safe ground and don't believe in literal meaning and translations of the bible are safe to ignore the facts.

Forum List

Back