Here is your mission, if you choose to accept it.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I have to fabricate one of these...and I'm going to try to make it out of this piece of scrap PVC.

1000002349.jpg

That is an upper window latch from a late 20th century Freightliner FLD120

It has been discontinued.

Can't find it used except as part of a complete window for sale so far.

I'll find one eventually...but I need something to use in the meantime.

The part is nylon and just expired after 25 years from UV exposure I suspect. When it gets hot like now and a truck is going to be parked for a week or so with no driver, I open these tilt out upper window the let the heat out. When I went to close this one the latch just disintegrated.

So... I'm going to fabricate one out of that pvc pipe in the picture.

It may not work.

How would you do it?

I have to fabricate one of these...and I'm going to try to make it out of this piece of scrap PVC.

View attachment 971725

That is an upper window latch from a late 20th century Freightliner FLD120

It has been discontinued.

Can't find it used except as part of a complete window for sale so far.

I'll find one eventually...but I need something to use in the meantime.

The part is nylon and just expired after 25 years from UV exposure I suspect. When it gets hot like now and a truck is going to be parked for a week or so with no driver, I open these tilt out upper window the let the heat out. When I went to close this one the latch just disintegrated.

So... I'm going to fabricate one out of that pvc pipe in the picture.

It may not work.

How would you do it?

Depending on the application, I'd 3D print it on my Prusa. Does it have to be made of PVC for any application reason, or is that just the materials you have available?

You can get some sturdy and durable parts out of nylon prints.

You could also make something like that with a hacksaw, a metal file, a drill press and a small block of aluminum. Depending on the application, you could probably whittle one out of wood.

On the PVC front, if you heated it into flattened layers and glued them together into a small block, you could whittle a piece out of that too.

Alternatively, you could press it into wax, clay, or plaster. And then fill that impression with resin or epoxy. I can think of a few moldable epoxies that might do it.

Depending on the application, I'd 3D print it on my Prusa. Does it have to be made of PVC for any application reason, or is that just the materials you have available?

You can get some sturdy and durable parts out of nylon prints.
I gotta learn how to do that.

I actually have a 3d printer, but the PC I was going to use to run it went out any I haven't got around to getting a new one.

The old part was nylon and it lasted almost 30 years. PVC is what I have and know how to work with.

You could also make something like that with a hacksaw, a metal file, a drill press and a small block of aluminum. Depending on the application, you could probably whittle one out of wood.
I thought about that.

On the PVC front, if you heated it into flattened layers and glued them together into a small block, you could whittle a piece out of that too.
:thup:

That's exactly what I did.

Laminated them together using JB Weld Plastic Bond.

1000002350.jpg

1000002351.jpg

1000002353.jpg

1000002355.jpg

1000002356.jpg

I gotta learn how to do that.

I actually have a 3d printer, but the PC I was going to use to run it went out any I haven't got around to getting a new one.

The old part was nylon and it lasted almost 30 years. PVC is what I have and know how to work with.

If PVC is all you have to work with, I'd cut it into thick rings, open the rings, heat the PVC and use a heat gun to flatten it. Do that with several rings until you have enough pieces to glue together to form a block that would encompass the rough dimensions of the part. Then carve it out with a hacksaw, dremel and drill press, and finish with files and some sandpaper?

I'd probably use a moldable epoxy and an impression if 3D printing in nylon weren't an option. Less work, though the PVC part would probably be more durable.

Alternatively, you could press it into wax, clay, or plaster. And then fill that impression with resin or epoxy. I can think of a few moldable epoxies that might do it.
That's a good idea too. Never thought of it, but that's probably the best old school method.

I thought about making a styrofoam model and green sand casting it in aluminum, but I like the resin idea better. I wonder if you could just use fiberglass resin.

Forum List

Back