Here's a tip: Don't

I always try to tip in cash.
It is too easy and too tempting for managers/owners to pocket some of the tips.
It happens, and probably a helluva lot more than we think.

In the United States tipping is an incentive to provide good service

It hasn't really been that for a long, long time. Now it is just an obligation and a useless annoyance.

It hasn't really been that for a long, long time. Now it is just an obligation and a useless annoyance.

You could just be overly demanding. I haven't had a bad server for a long time. I have friends who complain about the service everywhere we go. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:
It's fucking out of control when you have counter servers selling coffee with a TIP jar right next to the register. Insulting to the customers, subliminal pressure. That really pisses me off.

I agree with tipping. That is income a small business doesn't have to cover and they can keep food prices lower. Plus it encourages better customer service.
In the service industry it's helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

It's fucking out of control when you have counter servers selling coffee with a TIP jar right next to the register. Insulting to the customers, subliminal pressure. That really pisses me off.

Yes.

"Hey kid, if it's your job to slice and butter my bagel, you're not waiting on me, I'm waiting on you."

Sorry, most people tip for good service.

Sorry, most people feel obligated to leave some kind of tip regardless of service. Most people will tip more for exceptional service. The system is essentially a bribe and a shakedown all rolled into one. It's stupid. You don't throw an extra grand at your doctor if you leave feeling well. You don't slip a wad of cash to your child's teacher if he gets an 'A.' Just pay your damn workers and leave the customers out of the compensation negotiation process.

The average wage for wait staff is about $2.50 per hour.
Virtually everyone is aware of this.
People who don't tip are selfish assholes.

See? There's the attitude. So goes the shakedown. Just charge higher prices and pay your damn workers yourself.

You could just be overly demanding. I haven't had a bad server for a long time. I have friends who complain about the service everywhere we go. It's embarrassing.

We rarely eat out. We find the whole process annoying. I'm a decent cook, and the Mrs. cooks better food than I've ever had at any restaurant. That having been said, we'd eat out a lot more often if the whole thing wasn't such a pain in the ass. I'll get takeout from a place I'd just as soon sit down at if the process didn't involve all these useless 'performances' and expectations.

See? There's the attitude. So goes the shakedown. Just charge higher prices and pay your damn workers yourself.

Oh...so you are that guy my daughter talks about.
Treats her like she is a servant, looks annoyed most of the time while she tries to be friendly.
And looks down his nose in disgust when he leaves the $1.00 tip.:doubt:

Treats her like she is a servant, looks annoyed most of the time while she tries to be friendly.
And looks down his nose in disgust when he leaves the $1.00 tip.

Where did I indicate that I do any of those things, you dishonest douche?

And looks down his nose in disgust when he leaves the $1.00 tip.

Where did I indicate that I do any of those things, you dishonest douche?

Sorry, but you are being a jerk.
Waitresses have to learn the whole menu, as well as how they are generally cooked and the ingredients in EVERY dish. She has to be able to remember special request, what everyone is drinking at all of her seated tables the whole night. But most of all, she has to remain friendly to complete ass wipes and "holier than thou jerks" which she will usually get at least one of them every night.
She will have to sweep/mop up messes left by kids of degenerate parents who let them do whatever they please, and somehow think it is the wait staff's job to clean up their childs vomit.
Tipping is a means in which these people are compensated above the rest of the employees - BECAUSE THEY SHOULD BE.
It is also a means in which appreciative people can show their gratitude for having to do all of the above while earning a low wage...just to serve me my food.

Waitresses have to learn the whole menu, as well as how they are generally cooked and the ingredients in EVERY dish. She has to be able to remember special request, what everyone is drinking at all of her seated tables the whole night. But most of all, she has to remain friendly to complete ass wipes and "holier than thou jerks" which she will usually get at least one of them every night.
She will have to sweep/mop up messes left by kids of degenerate parents who let them do whatever they please, and somehow think it is the wait staff's job to clean up their childs vomit.

A nurse's job is a hell of a lot more difficult than that and they don't stick their hand out at the patients and expect them to cough up extra (so to speak). They get paid to do their job.

Every job has many requirements. If someone doesn't want to work as waitstaff they can look for work in another area. If it's such a super-human task then the owner should pay them accordingly, or not. Don't ask the customer to make that decision for him. It doesn't have to be complicated, and it doesn't have to be a shakedown.

Last edited:

I never tip for counter service.

The way I see it a waitress works on commission not unlike a salesman. She gets crap pay for showing up and doing the scut work involved and her tips are her commission for making the customers happy.

A nurse's job is a hell of a lot more difficult than that and they don't stick their hand out at the patients and expect them to cough up extra (so to speak). They get paid to do their job.

Every job has many requirements. If someone doesn't want to work as waitstaff they can look for work in another area. If it's such a super-human task then the owner should pay them accordingly, or not. Don't ask the customer to make that decision for him. It doesn't have to be complicated, and it doesn't have to be a shakedown.

That is a hilarious comparison.
Nurses don't get paid $2.50 an hour.
As for your other post that reveals your personality above this one...at what point have I lied?

Forum List

Back