Historically, no Antarctic ice shelf when CO2 is above 400 ppm

Allow me to point out that THIS is your original question which I answered with "orbital forcing and volcanism"; not what controlled temperature.
Ignoring volcanism - which has very limited effects throughout the last 50 million years - the correct answer is temperature and solubility of CO2 in water determined atmospheric CO2 levels for the past 50 million years.

"While it has been proposed that intense volcanic release of carbon dioxide in the deep geologic past did cause global warming, and possibly some mass extinctions, this is a topic of scientific debate at present."

Keep in mind that for all but a tiny fraction of the past 50 million years, there were no humans burning fossil fuels. Volcanism, which produces a little less than 1% of total CO2 emissions today, would become a much more dominant source without the human contribution. And, in geologic history, there have been some extremely large eruptions.

And can't explain why CO2 lags temperature throughout the geologic record.

And can't explain why CO2 lags temperature throughout the geologic record.
WtF is wrong with you? Are you this unaware of what I have said over and over and over again or have you just decided to lie in order to advance your position?

WtF is wrong with you? Are you this unaware of what I have said over and over and over again or have you just decided to lie in order to advance your position?
Maybe if you said, prior to the industrial revolution, CO2 correlated with temperature because of the solubility of CO2 in water versus temperature and has lagged temperature by 800 to 1000 years throughout the geologic record.

Then that would be clear and there would be no ambiguity in your belief. As it stands you seemed to have been saying orbital forcing and volcanoes are why CO2 changed throughout the geologic record and that is just incorrect and confusing.

Maybe if you said, prior to the industrial revolution, CO2 correlated with temperature because of the solubility of CO2 in water versus temperature and has lagged temperature by 800 to 1000 years throughout the geologic record.

Then that would be clear and there would be no ambiguity in your belief. As it stands you seemed to have been saying orbital forcing and volcanoes are why CO2 changed throughout the geologic record and that is just incorrect and confusing.
Or you could just stop lying about what I have and have not said.

I'm not. I'm not sure what you believe actually. Let's settle it now.

True or false... prior to the industrial revolution, CO2 correlated with temperature because of the solubility of CO2 in water versus temperature and has lagged temperature by 800 to 1000 years throughout the geologic record.

I believe you would greatly benefit from studying transactional analysis and using it in your discussions.

I believe you would greatly benefit from studying transactional analysis and using it in your discussions.
I believe you would greatly benefit from realizing you don't know as much as you think you know.

I believe you would greatly benefit from realizing you don't know as much as you think you know.
That's always been my starting position. I don't see anything special about myself at all. You really should look into transactional analysis though. It would help you. It helps everyone who uses those principles.

True or false... prior to the industrial revolution, CO2 correlated with temperature because of the solubility of CO2 in water versus temperature and has lagged temperature by 800 to 1000 years throughout the geologic record.

dn11639-2_808.jpg

dn11639-2_808.jpg

So Martha's Vineyard will be under water any day now.....Right.

Crick and Old Rocks predicted seven years ago Miami would be under water by now!!! :eusa_dance:

Rocks also predicted long ago that yachts would be sailing around at the North Pole by 2013.:bye1::bye1:

Instead...the ice doubled in size.

Whooooops

I already replied to this question with two graphs. One either to 400,000 or 800,000 years and the other from 1750 or so to the present. Both showed very strong correlation between CO2 and temperature.

I already replied to this question with two graphs. One either to 400,000 or 800,000 years and the other from 1750 or so to the present. Both showed very strong correlation between CO2 and temperature.
And yet you can't bring yourself to state that prior to the industrial revolution atmospheric CO2 was a function of temperature. It's very telling that you can't say this clearly.

Simple answer is probably not

Temperatures and CO2 rose together. But why would temperatures and CO2 then drop again? Surely they'd just keep going up.

Simple answer is probably not

Temperatures and CO2 rose together. But why would temperatures and CO2 then drop again? Surely they'd just keep going up.
There's no mechanism for that. Here's the mechanism for CO2 lagging temperature....

1673565202753.png

1673565245327.png

1673565274546.png

1673565307308.png

1673565339283.png

1673565380692.png

Forum List

Back