History Quiz

Who was famous for saying "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!" and what was that person commenting on.

And Bosquet was right :D

(said, the word "but" was perfect ;) )

For your question, USviking...in the baltic peoples, with the two already mentionned, the Estonians and the Prussians.

I would say that it's the prussian.

USViking said:
Easy for Ontarioonians, maybe.

Lebreton Flats burned in 1900 due to high wind and wooden buildings.
Susequently the ground was contaminated by petrochemicals.
It is now a green urban renewal project.
(Thanks google)

Question:
Three peoples of the mid-east coast of the Baltic Sea,
only speakers of the "Baltic" language family,
were among the last pagans of Europe.
They were conquered and Christianized in the 1200s.

The Letts (Latvians) and Lithuanians have survived.

Which of the three are now extinct, at least for their spoken language?

Again, I should have been more specific, that was not the answer I was looking for. If you kept reading, you would note that it was rebuilt after it burnt, then something happened to it, for a specific reason. My father was born and raised in this area, and I assure you, he was born long after 1900.

And no, it isn't exactly a "green urban renewal" project so to speak, more like a project that went array. One side is used as a camp ground, that turned into an oasis for vagrants. The other side sat vacant for decades, while everyone argued over what to build on it. It's an urban renewal project that didn't go anywhere until Chretien approved funds to build a new war museum before he left office, and that's what stands there now, after 40+ years.

Said1 said:
Again, I should have been more specific, that was not the answer I was looking for. If you kept reading, you would note that it was rebuilt after it burnt, then something happened to it, for a specific reason. My father was born and raised in this area, and I assure you, he was born long after 1900.

And no, it isn't exactly a "green urban renewal" project so to speak, more like a project that went array. One side is used as a camp ground, that turned into an oasis for vagrants. The other side sat vacant for decades, while everyone argued over what to build on it. It's an urban renewal project that didn't go anywhere until Chretien approved funds to build a new war museum before he left office, and that's what stands there now, after 40+ years.
Oops, sorry.

Interesting story.

USViking said:
Oops, sorry.

Interesting story.

It was demolished in the 60's because it was an eyesore, and very close to parliment hill - don't want to tourists to see the poor. It was the dumpiest area in the city, I live in the second dumpiest, right next to where it was! Actually, I live on the nice side of the second dumpiest area, but I mingle. :D

padisha emperor said:

For your question, USviking...in the baltic peoples, with the two already mentionned, the Estonians and the Prussians.

Correct.

The Estonians and Finns were also forcibly christianized at about the same time. They also have survived.

Thier languages are part of a different family: Finno-Urghic, or something like that.

Your question!

padisha emperor said:

My french isn't what it was, I only understand about ever second or third word spoken, I read it much better for some reason.

Said1 said:
It was demolished in the 60's because it was an eyesore, and very close to parliment hill - don't want to tourists to see the poor. It was the dumpiest area in the city, I live in the second dumpiest, right next to where it was! Actually, I live on the nice side of the second dumpiest area, but I mingle. :D
We need to find you a rich sugar daddy, so you can mingle in a ritzier area.

After the 30 years war, in 1648, the treaty of Westphalia was the consecration of the religious liberty of the german lords in their domain (cujus regio, ejus religio), and also the consecration of the first rank of France in Europe.
And it gave to France 3 important cathedral town, with bishoprics.

What are the names of these 3 cities ?

Hint : one of them is the name of a famous battle of the WWI

padisha emperor said:
After the 30 years war, in 1648, the treaty of Westphalia was the consecration of the religious liberty of the german lords in their domain (cujus regio, ejus religio), and also the consecration of the first rank of France in Europe.
And it gave to France 3 important cathedral town, with bishoprics.

What are the names of these 3 cities ?

Hint : one of them is the name of a famous battle of the WWI

I think I've got them: Verdun, Pignerol, and Brisac. I'm pretty sure of the first two.

padisha emperor said:
Verdun is good.

For the two others, no.

Pignerol is too much in the south.

the three cities searched are in the east/north-east ;)

damn. :coffee3:

padisha emperor said:
the first letter of these cities are :
"T" for one, "M" for the second
Verdun, ok.

Googled:

Mulhouse

Toul

Kathianne said:
Verdun, ok.

Googled:

Mulhouse

Toul

Without PE on board, I'll assume correct and add next question.

At least until the Islamics started bringing their 'servants' to the West, the last country to release the serfs was...in what year?....(give or take 50 years).

padisha emperor said:
Russia, around 1880

(the third city was Metz, not Mulhouse :D sorry :D )

:teeth: Shove the Metz, nevertheless, you got the serf question. Damn, where is Viking or Said1 when I need them? :rolleyes: go PE...

Forum List

Back