Hobby UAV (Drones)

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Anyone interested in or participating in this fascinating new technology? Got a drone yet? What level? Toy? Hobby? Serious? Professional?

Considered getting one, but the flight time for the ones I'd put money into sucks.

Considered getting one, but the flight time for the ones I'd put money into sucks.
There presently are four grades of UAV capability and performance available:

Toy: Price range; $20 to $100. Average flight duration; 5 - 7 minutes.

Hobby: Price range; $100 to $400. Average flight duration; 10 - 15 minutes.

Serious: Price range; $500 to $2,500. Average flight duration; 15 - 25 minutes

Professional: Price range; $2,500 to --->? Average flight duration; 45 - ?

What level were you considering?

I should tell you there are some really nice Toy grade drones (Syma x5c, for one) which have 5 - 7 minute flight duration but their batteries are cheap, rechargeable, quick and easy to replace. This drone costs around $40. Extra batteries around $2. So you can fly as long as you wish to keep popping in fresh batteries.

I've looked at a couple in the Hobby range, don't like the time for the price.

My son gave me this as Christmas gift last year. Don't know how much it cost and it came with a professional trainer for 2 hours........ I only flew it 2 more times after that maybe total of 3 hours. To find out it's not to my liking so I store it in my garage........ Hopefully some day I will get interested. But I know this is fun.

ea21f6f80e985adeb9615bc9751820e1.jpg

My friend got one for Christmas, started it up, and flew it straight into fhe branches of a tall tree. And that was that.
I recently had the same experience.

I got careless and a wind gust parked my Toy-grade drone in the upper branches of a 40' pine tree. It was up there for two weeks, through two major rainstorms, and I had given up any hope of recovering it. But we caught the edge of a hurricane and next morning my drone was lying on the branches of a 3' bush next to the house. The strong hurricane wind had knocked it down.

I managed to dry it with a hair-blower, put a fresh battery in it, and was totally amazed when it took off and flew as good as ever. And the SD card in its camera actually contained video of its entire adventure up to the point when the battery died -- including the eye and beak of a curious bird.

These drones are great fun!

Last edited:
My son gave me this as Christmas gift last year. Don't know how much it cost and it came with a professional trainer for 2 hours........ I only flew it 2 more times after that maybe total of 3 hours. To find out it's not to my liking so I store it in my garage........ Hopefully some day I will get interested. But I know this is fun.

The DJI Inspire is one of the most sophisticated of the Serious-grade UAVs. Your son really wanted to make you happy. If you'd like to know how much it cost him go to Amazon and just type in, DJI Inspire. You will be impressed.

Too bad this hobby does not hold your interest. There are many UAV hobbyists, including me, who would like to own an Inspire. It is top-of-the-line and is called a "flying tripod" because of the quality of the aerial photos and videos it is capable of.

I've looked at a couple in the Hobby range, don't like the time for the price.
As I explained above, all Hobby-grade drones use pop-in rechargeable batteries. So if flying time is your concern, buy a few extra batteries. Then just time your flight. When it's near the end just land your drone, pull out the spent battery, pop in a fresh one and take off again. You can do that all day if you wish. The LiPo batteries are infinitely rechargeable and you get a charger with any drone.

But if none of that pushes your button you're really not that interested in the hobby and probably would soon become bored with it.

The DJI Inspire is one of the most sophisticated of the Serious-grade UAVs. Your son really wanted to make you happy. If you'd like to know how much it cost him go to Amazon and just type in, DJI Inspire. You will be impressed.

Too bad this hobby does not hold your interest. There are many UAV hobbyists, including me, who would like to own an Inspire. It is top-of-the-line and is called a "flying tripod" because of the quality of the aerial photos and videos it is capable of.

Darn it cost $4,200. I didn't even know there are tons of kinds and models. You have to forgive my ignorance about drones Mike ........... But I have not given up yet. I like watching my neighbors flying their drones in Palm Spring because of open air space. But in Key Biscayne is a different story because of seagulls.

Yes. I love photography, videography and aviation. But the particular model I have been trying to use has been rather disappointing. Mine cost about $160 dollars, cashed it so many times the repair cost more than it's worth. About ready to take up still life painting in oil!

Yes. I love photography, videography and aviation. But the particular model I have been trying to use has been rather disappointing. Mine cost about $160 dollars, cashed it so many times the repair cost more than it's worth. About ready to take up still life painting in oil!
MaryL,

Recreational drones is an infant technology but it is moving forward at a dazzling pace. What you paid $160 for will soon be available for much less and $160 will buy much more in terms of capability and general quality.

My first VCR, which I bought in 1980, was a big, clumsy clunker with limited capability and cost me $850. A couple of years ago I bought one for $150 that was much smaller, sleeker, more feature-rich and better in every way. Now that technology has been surpassed by DVD.

So don't give up on drones. The really good stuff is right around the corner -- and it will be affordable.

I understand why folks are concerned with drones. Someone with a drone with a bomb could be the next Oswald, and that too concerns me.

I understand why folks are concerned with drones. Someone with a drone with a bomb could be the next Oswald, and that too concerns me.
You've raised a very good point and we may rest assured the "Allah Akhbar" folks are diligently exploring that potential. I do not doubt there will be a drone facilitated bombing in the future, which is why the FAA is paying close attention to this emerging technology.

New regulations require that all drones in the Hobby and more advanced categories (not Toys) must be registered and numbers, like auto license plate numbers, be affixed to them. There are restrictions that forbid the use of drones within 100 yards of people. They may not be flown in urban environments. And there is more.

So your concern is quite valid.

Was recently reading some drone rules/regs somewhere and saw that they're restricted within five miles of an airport, which kills my interest as it would require a trip to ruralville to fly one. No idea if that's standard nationally or just some state/local restriction though.

I've been flying RC Planes since 1979. Control-Line since 1968. My Father's been in the hobby since 1944.

These Quadcopters or "Drones" will be the death of this hobby unless we separate them out with their own little Sanctioning Body.

Quad and Drone guys have their own self centered and completely irresponsible attitude. They're even worse than the Helicopter guys.

Looks like it would be fun to do responsibly but not everyone is responsible. Sooner or later one will cause someone to crash their car or bike. The video of the one with a handgun mounted and working was an eye opener. Fly next to someone and take them out. Easy peasy.

Forum List

Back