Homeownership rate drops to 63.4%, lowest since 1967

I figured it just isn't worth it to me. Not only is there the cost of the home, but the costs of maintaining it . . . also very expensive, and let's not forget about the taxes. A "regular" person really cannot afford to be a homeowner in my area. I suppose if you wanted to live in one of the crappier neighborhoods, you could make it work on an average salary. Also, probably if you bought a rental property and rented out apartments you might be able to afford it.
Unless you get a great tax write off, it's not worth it.
Why make somebody else's mortgage payment? Unless things have changed drastically you can buy for a little more than renting. Yes, there are additional expenses but I payed my mortgage off 20 years ahead of schedule, saved a bundle on the principle and now live debt free. I have property taxes and utilities but where can I live for free?

It's not worth it to me is all. It's not worth the headaches. I would rather pay rent, and if something goes wrong, it's someone else's problem to pay for. I don't have to do any maintenance at all, and that is fine by me. Besides that, I cannot afford a home.

I figured it just isn't worth it to me. Not only is there the cost of the home, but the costs of maintaining it . . . also very expensive, and let's not forget about the taxes. A "regular" person really cannot afford to be a homeowner in my area. I suppose if you wanted to live in one of the crappier neighborhoods, you could make it work on an average salary. Also, probably if you bought a rental property and rented out apartments you might be able to afford it.
Why make somebody else's mortgage payment? Unless things have changed drastically you can buy for a little more than renting. Yes, there are additional expenses but I payed my mortgage off 20 years ahead of schedule, saved a bundle on the principle and now live debt free. I have property taxes and utilities but where can I live for free?

Check it out . . .

Massachusetts Home Prices and MA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

I will say one thing - there are homes in the south that are like mansions you can get for like $200,000 which is NOTHING.

If you want to live up North, that's a different story...

It's not worth it to me is all. It's not worth the headaches. I would rather pay rent, and if something goes wrong, it's someone else's problem to pay for. I don't have to do any maintenance at all, and that is fine by me. Besides that, I cannot afford a home.

Even rent it ridiculous. My son pays more in rent than we do on our mortgage, but, like you said, he doesn't have insurance, property tax, repairs or anything else to worry about plus he has a gym, pool etc.

Even rent it ridiculous. My son pays more in rent than we do on our mortgage, but, like you said, he doesn't have insurance, property tax, repairs or anything else to worry about plus he has a gym, pool etc.
Around here rent is around 5-600 a month for a modest 3 bedroom..I pay 425 for my mortgage....

My kids are not interested in buying homes, they'd rather rent, more freedom...they are not tied down, and there is times I wished I rented..

That is totally true MG - renting is not longer viewed as "throwing away money"....
People realize they can live in luxury with no responsibilities for upkeep.... and still save some money.
I much preferred Renting to Home Ownership!
I'm not an Obama supporter, but, I'm not entirely sure this is indicative of our economy (I'm not saying it's not)... I'm just saying there are other factors.....

Another thing, people can afford homes, they just are not disciplined about putting away the money required for a down payment for a home.....
There have been many times I wish I had rented, especially when a heater or air unit goes out, to replace my well pump it was 4k..I had to replace it after the idiot that drilled the well put in a weaker system than I needed and I paid him 9k for it...

I'm sure we have put into this house at least 1/2 of what it's worth. New windows, replacing the deck, new siding, installing hard wood floors, 2 water heater replacements, 1 a/c furnace replacement, in addition to the cost of power washing and staining the deck every other year. Oh, and washer/dryer replacement and dishwasher replacement... hell, we could have built our own house from scratch at this rate!

I will say one thing - there are homes in the south that are like mansions you can get for like $200,000 which is NOTHING.

Virginia is not that far south....

Around here rent is around 5-600 a month for a modest 3 bedroom..I pay 425 for my mortgage....

Good lord!

anyone can afford that.... $15.00 min wage and you'd be rich!

You got that right.. prices here are HIGH!!!! I pay $1,000 more than you do on my mortgage...

Good lord!

anyone can afford that.... $15.00 min wage and you'd be rich!
That's why I moved here, where I used to live it's twice that, although my first house the mortgage was 305 bucks a month..

That is dirt cheap.

You got that right.. prices here are HIGH!!!! I pay $1,000 more than you do on my mortgage...
Too much pressure to live with for me....but then again, I build my houses.....

Too much pressure to live with for me....but then again, I build my houses.....
Trust me.. hubby and I have had more than 1 conversation about packing it up and getting a $50,000 home in FL

Forum List

Back