🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales

Why would sober, sane and law abiding citizens be disarmed?

What "sober sane law abiding citizen" would be disarmed by a back ground check?

Hopefully none. But those with DUI's, or a history of violence or if a relative, neighbor, fellow employee or employer notifies a data base that they believe someone they know maybe suicidal or have periods of intense anger.

What "sober sane law abiding citizen" would be disarmed by a back ground check?

Hopefully none. But those with DUI's, or a history of violence or if a relative, neighbor, fellow employee or employer notifies a data base that they believe someone they know maybe suicidal or have periods of intense anger.

Current, federal background checks don't stop criminals from getting guns....they steal them or have a straw buyer buy the gun, since the straw buyer can pass the background check...

The only reason anti-gunners want universal background checks is their dream of a gun registry, which they can use to ban and confiscate guns.

Having the law is largely self enforcing.

If people understand that something is illegal and has penalties...they generally don't do it.

They certainly won't be selling to strangers at gun shows without back ground checks
pretty sure mass killings with semi-automatic guns is illegal.

yet here we are dealing with something you say people won't do it illegal.

you just more or less said the only people who are going to follow this law are law abiding people OF WHICH you don't have to worry about anyway.
More or less your ass.

This would almost entirely end "no background check gun show sales".

THAT has value.

You disagree?

It wouldn't do any thing like that. Straw Buyers already know they are breaking the law by selling guns to felons, they do it anyway. Criminals already know it is against the law to steal guns...they do it anyway....

criminals do not get their guns from gun shows...as recent research shows...all this is is a necessary step to get to gun registration...which morons like you need to know which law abiding citizen owns which guns when you get the power to ban and confiscate them.

House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales This Week

i'm all for reviewing laws and changes that we know would affect events that have happened. this does nothing of the sort. it means if i sell my gun to my brother, i'm a criminal if i don't do a background check.

fine. i'll give it to him. problem solved.

but you can't name a single mass shooting where the gun was obtained in this manner. yet, this is what we're after.

Mass shootings get the headlines but aren't the real problem. It's the daily shootings that occur with handguns.

Background checks of all sales even between private parties makes a lot of sense.
then please show me the amount of people killed by guns bought in this manner.

keep in mind that people who sell multiple guns under this "loophole" are already breaking the law. but instead of going after them we simply change a law they've already shown they don't about.

makes zero sense and is a huge reason why the right says FOAD when the left demands changes and "common sense".

common sense says to use a flyswatter to kill a fly. not tell it to go away in yet another language.

Please show me why requiring background checks for all gun sales is a bad thing.
Gun crime sure dropped after we got the background checks we have now.

Wrong....we got 3 strikes you're out laws that put criminals in jail for life for 3 felonies...

Meanwhile, in the last 26 years, as more Americans own and carry guns......

Law abiding people owning and carrying guns does not increase the gun crime rate.....

Over the last 26 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

i'm all for reviewing laws and changes that we know would affect events that have happened. this does nothing of the sort. it means if i sell my gun to my brother, i'm a criminal if i don't do a background check.

but you can't name a single mass shooting where the gun was obtained in this manner. yet, this is what we're after.

Your title is not true.

The democrats voted to require background checks on all weapon sales.

No one criminalized private gun sales. As long as you get that background check you're not a criminal.

A few years ago the same issue was on the ballot in my state.

It passed with a very good margin. I voted in the majority.

A background check on all weapon sales including private sales has been required in my state for several years now. It's easy to do and it helps keep weapons out of the hands of crazy people.

How is the citizenry accessing NICS in your state?

You can read about how it's done at this link. Basically those who are already federal license gun sellers do the check.

During 2014, the State of Washington became the first state to create a law which required background checks on private firearms salesvia voter initiative. This law made it mandatory for private sellers and buyers to perform transactions for firearms via FFLs (firearms dealers who are federally licensed).

The federally-licensed firearm dealer, or FFL, is now required to process transactions as though dealers are selling firearms from their own inventories and therefore must adhere to the same state and federal laws which regulate the business practices of dealers of firearms. For example, FFLs will need to perform background checks on purchasers.

How to Transfer Private Gun Ownership in Washington State | Sporting Systems

All gun transfers ought to require a background check.

No, they shouldn't. Doing a background check will cost the gun dealer time....they will charge for that time....going to the police will also take time, and they will charge for the background check...which means that this is a violation of the Supreme Court decision Murdock v. Pennsylvania, which states that you can't charge a fee for the exercise of a Right.....mandating background checks that will cost money is creating a fee for a Right....unConstitutional...

Your title is not true.

No one criminalized private gun sales. As long as you get that background check you're not a criminal.

A background check on all weapon sales including private sales has been required in my state for several years now. It's easy to do and it helps keep weapons out of the hands of crazy people.

You can read about how it's done at this link. Basically those who are already federal license gun sellers do the check.

During 2014, the State of Washington became the first state to create a law which required background checks on private firearms salesvia voter initiative. This law made it mandatory for private sellers and buyers to perform transactions for firearms via FFLs (firearms dealers who are federally licensed).

The federally-licensed firearm dealer, or FFL, is now required to process transactions as though dealers are selling firearms from their own inventories and therefore must adhere to the same state and federal laws which regulate the business practices of dealers of firearms. For example, FFLs will need to perform background checks on purchasers.

I just think that isn't the fix. The only people who are going to submit to a background check are those who would likely not commit a crime with a firearm.

The person intent on commiting gun crimes isn't going to do that.

I understand we need to fix the problem of gun crimes, but more laws only serve to restrict the law abiding citizen, and doesnt hinder the criminal.

The problem with going overboard with gun laws is that, in the end, the only people to be disarmed are the law abiding populace, rendering them defenseless against the criminal populace.

but more laws only serve to restrict the law abiding citizen, and doesnt hinder the criminal.

And the anti-gunners know this....it is a feature, not a bug...

Your title is not true.

I swear, you gun people will lie and do anything to prevent any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. You're the reason why crazy people are able to get weapons to kill innocent people. You refuse to accept any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. If you're a criminal or mentally unstable I can see why you wouldn't want any background checks. Which that's the only reason I can see why you people are so afraid and against any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons.
i didn't have fuck shit to do with the title assholio - its from the story itself. go bitch at them.

also - right now i can sell my neighbor my ruger 10/22 and all good. if they pass this, i must take him to a pawn shop and pay $25 for a background check or i'm a criminal.

you really are totally void of facts and totally full of shit.

This is what happens when you use Breitbart as a source of information.
so you're saying the democrats are NOT doing this?

idiocy is what happens when you say stupid shit and people notice.

No, Democrats don't use Breitbart as a source of information.

Mass shootings get the headlines but aren't the real problem. It's the daily shootings that occur with handguns.

Background checks of all sales even between private parties makes a lot of sense.

We already have back roynd checks sadly for democrats criminals and drug cartels and gang bangers perfer to steal and could care less about back round checks.

We have class 2 weapons and it cost of 200 bucks for the tax stamp and a 12 month wait.

Criminals just build a silencers or convert a gun they dont give a dumb demos ass about a back round check dumb ass

Oh goodie. Another gun bill. :14:

We already have back roynd checks sadly for democrats criminals and drug cartels and gang bangers perfer to steal and could care less about back round checks.

We have class 2 weapons and it cost of 200 bucks for the tax stamp and a 12 month wait.

Criminals just build a silencers or convert a gun they dont give a dumb demos ass about a back round check dumb ass

I'm going to need someone to translate this in to English for me, thanks.

Your title is not true.

I just think that isn't the fix. The only people who are going to submit to a background check are those who would likely not commit a crime with a firearm.

I understand we need to fix the problem of gun crimes, but more laws only serve to restrict the law abiding citizen, and doesnt hinder the criminal.

The problem with going overboard with gun laws is that, in the end, the only people to be disarmed are the law abiding populace, rendering them defenseless against the criminal populace.

Who knows, maybe there is some obscure thing in their past that causes them to fail the background check, not that they are a criminal, just something that checks the box on the background and they are not able to get a gun.

These are the people whom would be affected by this. My point was, the background checks really do not do much in the grand scheme of things when you understand that the person hell bent on committing a gun crime isn't going to go through the background check to get an gun, and they aren't going to follow the gun laws, no matter how many of them they pass.

Your Bullshit is flowing a wide stream on this one. They are presenting a Universal Background Check. Just like 15 states already have. 60% of the guns possessed by criminals in gangs in inner cities have been purchased legally without background checks even if a background check is required at that location. It's a cottage industry for gun runners to go into locations that have no gun background checks and purchase guns and transport them back into the inner cities and sell them to gang members. What happens if there were 60% fewer guns offered to the Gangs for illegal activities? How many innocent lives does that save? Even if it saves just one that's a good thing.

Now, go back to your lying crap again. Maybe we should have them look into your mental health to see if you are stable enough to possess firearms. Chances are, you are probably one of those that either transport, sell or use those guns for illegal uses. That might explain why you are constantly lying out your rear end.

Who knows, maybe there is some obscure thing in their past that causes them to fail the background check, not that they are a criminal, just something that checks the box on the background and they are not able to get a gun.

These are the people whom would be affected by this. My point was, the background checks really do not do much in the grand scheme of things when you understand that the person hell bent on committing a gun crime isn't going to go through the background check to get an gun, and they aren't going to follow the gun laws, no matter how many of them they pass.

The majority of background checks that flag people are wrong.....

And keep in mind, the anti-gunners don't care if background checks work.....they know they don't...what they want is a reason to come back and demand universal gun registration...which they get after criminals and mass shooters keep getting guns after any new background check on private sales is passed...

Op-ed in the New York Times: Background Checks Are Not the Answer to Gun Violence - Crime Prevention Research Center

but any proposal should also fix another major problem with the background check system: false positives that stop law-abiding people from getting weapons that they might need to protect themselves and their families.

The background check system confuses the names of law-abiding individuals with those of criminals, resulting in thousands of “false positives” every year. Relying on phonetically similar names along with birth dates just doesn’t allow for much accuracy.

Ronnie Coleman, a Virginia resident, was not allowed to buy a gun in 2012 because another person from his hometown in Texas who had a felony conviction also had a name and birth date “close enough” to his to cause a denial. Mr. Coleman was advised to get a unique transaction number from the background system to prevent this confusion in the future, adding another bureaucratic step to the process.

Between 2006 to 2010, the last period for which more comprehensive annual data on the denial of firearm applications by the background check system are available, there were 377,283 denials. But the federal government prosecuted only 460 of those cases, leading to 209 convictions, mostly on charges of providing false information. There was a similarly small number of state prosecutions resulting from the gun purchase denials.

Why didn’t more of those denials lead to perjury prosecutions? According to my analysis, the reason is simple: a high percentage of cases are dropped because the applicant was wrongly denied clearance to buy a gun.

Many of those people are trying to buy guns to protect themselves. “This incredibly high rate of false positives imposes a real burden on the most vulnerable people,” said Reagan Dunn, the first national coordinator for Project Safe Neighborhoods, a Justice Department program started in 2001 to ensure gun laws are enforced.. . . .

Your Bullshit is flowing a wide stream on this one. They are presenting a Universal Background Check. Just like 15 states already have. 60% of the guns possessed by criminals in gangs in inner cities have been purchased legally without background checks even if a background check is required at that location. It's a cottage industry for gun runners to go into locations that have no gun background checks and purchase guns and transport them back into the inner cities and sell them to gang members. What happens if there were 60% fewer guns offered to the Gangs for illegal activities? How many innocent lives does that save? Even if it saves just one that's a good thing.

Now, go back to your lying crap again. Maybe we should have them look into your mental health to see if you are stable enough to possess firearms. Chances are, you are probably one of those that either transport, sell or use those guns for illegal uses. That might explain why you are constantly lying out your rear end.

Moron.......they can already be arrested for selling guns to criminals..... showing we don't need more useless background checks, we need to lock up people who sell guns to criminals.

You are a moron..... the 10,982 gun murders in this country were not done after the criminal passed a background check, you doofus.....

Moron.......they can already be arrested for selling guns to criminals..... showing we don't need more useless background checks, we need to lock up people who sell guns to criminals.

You are a moron..... the 10,982 gun murders in this country were not done after the criminal passed a background check, you doofus.....

But you can't be arrested buying the gun if you intend on transporting it across state lines to sell it to a criminal. over 60% of the guns used by Criminals in Chicago are legally purchased outside Chicago. How many of those were used for Violent Crimes? Don't go off on an tangents, just answer the question.

But you can't be arrested buying the gun if you intend on transporting it across state lines to sell it to a criminal. over 60% of the guns used by Criminals in Chicago are legally purchased outside Chicago. How many of those were used for Violent Crimes? Don't go off on an tangents, just answer the question.

You arrest them when they sell it, doofus. Just like you can't arrest the guy sitting in the bar who is going to drive drunk until he gets in the car....you doofus.

e guy sitting in the bar who is going to drive drunk until he gets in the car....you doofus.

And you arrest them when they buy it as well. And you arrest that person that keeps selling it to them. Around here, they don't go out of their way to arrest or even fine people that do a single private sale without a background check to thier buddy. They do go after the one that makes a living at doing the sales without the background checks by selling more than one gun. Until 2013, Colorado was on the list for procurement of guns for Chicago Gangs. It's been taken off that list. Until 2015, Illinois was on that same list. It's been taken off that list. But the states near Chicago that do not have universal background checks are doing gangbuster business in arms sales with the intent of transporting them to Chicago to be sold to the gangs.

Don't tell me that when a person wants to buy 10 handguns in the parking lot of a Denny's that he's buying it for home protection. He's loading up his panel truck. And don't tell me that a person selling 10 handguns in that same parking lot should be given the same consideration as the person selling a single gun to his neighbor. To put it in perspective, if a person sells 10 cars in any given year in almost all states, he has to be a licensed car dealer and meet the requirements of a licensed car dealer. Firearms should not be treated any different in that respect.

But I don't see you sticking up for those that get in trouble with the states for selling too many cars, do I.

what a fuck jughead.

later.

Key words: "mass shooting".

Can you state definitively that none of the 15,000 gun homicides each year in America were done by guns acquired this way?

Your title is not true.

I swear, you gun people will lie and do anything to prevent any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. You're the reason why crazy people are able to get weapons to kill innocent people. You refuse to accept any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. If you're a criminal or mentally unstable I can see why you wouldn't want any background checks. Which that's the only reason I can see why you people are so afraid and against any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons.
i didn't have fuck shit to do with the title assholio - its from the story itself. go bitch at them.

also - right now i can sell my neighbor my ruger 10/22 and all good. if they pass this, i must take him to a pawn shop and pay $25 for a background check or i'm a criminal.

you really are totally void of facts and totally full of shit.

This is what happens when you use Breitbart as a source of information.
so you're saying the democrats are NOT doing this?

idiocy is what happens when you say stupid shit and people notice.
The only thing criminal are the lies you and others on the right attempt to propagate.

Forum List

Back