House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales

House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales This Week

i'm all for reviewing laws and changes that we know would affect events that have happened. this does nothing of the sort. it means if i sell my gun to my brother, i'm a criminal if i don't do a background check.

fine. i'll give it to him. problem solved.

but you can't name a single mass shooting where the gun was obtained in this manner. yet, this is what we're after.

Your title is not true.

The democrats voted to require background checks on all weapon sales.

No one criminalized private gun sales. As long as you get that background check you're not a criminal.

A few years ago the same issue was on the ballot in my state.

It passed with a very good margin. I voted in the majority.

A background check on all weapon sales including private sales has been required in my state for several years now. It's easy to do and it helps keep weapons out of the hands of crazy people.

How is the citizenry accessing NICS in your state?

You can read about how it's done at this link. Basically those who are already federal license gun sellers do the check.

During 2014, the State of Washington became the first state to create a law which required background checks on private firearms sales via voter initiative. This law made it mandatory for private sellers and buyers to perform transactions for firearms via FFLs (firearms dealers who are federally licensed).

The federally-licensed firearm dealer, or FFL, is now required to process transactions as though dealers are selling firearms from their own inventories and therefore must adhere to the same state and federal laws which regulate the business practices of dealers of firearms. For example, FFLs will need to perform background checks on purchasers.

How to Transfer Private Gun Ownership in Washington State | Sporting Systems

"There is a range of exemptions for transfers which happen between buyers and sellers, though. For example, real transfers given as gifts are exempt—like between parents, kids, spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, and other types of relatives."

again - my selling a neighbor a gun is the intent of the law. someone selling several guns a week or even month is a dealer and there are laws around that already.

And without a background check...how do you know what your neighbor's history is?

More importantly by fighting that...you are fighting against STOPPING gun sales with no checks at gun shows etc.

i'm all for reviewing laws and changes that we know would affect events that have happened. this does nothing of the sort. it means if i sell my gun to my brother, i'm a criminal if i don't do a background check.

but you can't name a single mass shooting where the gun was obtained in this manner. yet, this is what we're after.

Mass shootings get the headlines but aren't the real problem. It's the daily shootings that occur with handguns.

Background checks of all sales even between private parties makes a lot of sense.
then please show me the amount of people killed by guns bought in this manner.

keep in mind that people who sell multiple guns under this "loophole" are already breaking the law. but instead of going after them we simply change a law they've already shown they don't about.

makes zero sense and is a huge reason why the right says FOAD when the left demands changes and "common sense".

common sense says to use a flyswatter to kill a fly. not tell it to go away in yet another language.

Please show me why requiring background checks for all gun sales is a bad thing.
Gun crime sure dropped after we got the background checks we have now.

Mass shootings get the headlines but aren't the real problem. It's the daily shootings that occur with handguns.

Background checks of all sales even between private parties makes a lot of sense.

Exactly how do you plan to enforce it? Most private sales occur between family and friends.

Having the law is largely self enforcing.

If people understand that something is illegal and has penalties...they generally don't do it.

They certainly won't be selling to strangers at gun shows without back ground checks

Your title is not true.

No one criminalized private gun sales. As long as you get that background check you're not a criminal.

A background check on all weapon sales including private sales has been required in my state for several years now. It's easy to do and it helps keep weapons out of the hands of crazy people.

I swear, you gun people will lie and do anything to prevent any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. You're the reason why crazy people are able to get weapons to kill innocent people. You refuse to accept any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. If you're a criminal or mentally unstable I can see why you wouldn't want any background checks. Which that's the only reason I can see why you people are so afraid and against any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons.

So I'm sure you have data how your law has effected gun crime in your State. Yet I don't see you bragging about how effective the law has been. I wonder why?

The problem is criminals will not follow any law they don’t have to. Think, Jethro.
And you think most of those follow laws now?

I can just see it, “oh, wait, I need to do a background check on you before I sell you this black market gun...”. Lol

No one said this will fix all issues. No single law does. But otherwise really good job of thinking things through Jethro.

LOL, the old "criminals don't follow laws" tired argument.

So tell me, how did every other first world nation manage to weed criminals out of their societies? No criminals to be found apparently. How do you think they did that?

You can't require a criminal to follow this law, just like you can't require them to register a firearm. Both would violate their 5th Amendment rights. So if this is passed and signed by the president, I will sue because it violates the equal protections clause of the 14th Amendment.

What a load of shit.

Universal background checks is not "criminalizing gun sales"

WHy the hell do you WANT secret gun sales anyway?

The government has no right what weapons law abiding citizen have, any more than they have a right to know what you read.

And without a background check...how do you know what your neighbor's history is?

More importantly by fighting that...you are fighting against STOPPING gun sales with no checks at gun shows etc.

You would probably be surprised to see how diligent most gun owners are about who we make private sales to. Far more diligent than the FBIs background check in many cases. Largely because most of us don’t sell guns to people we don’t already know.

The NICS system as currently exists is mostly for show. Without the proper databases and information to search, and the computing power to make the checks instantaneous, it’s never going to work correctly.

Your title is not true.

I swear, you gun people will lie and do anything to prevent any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. You're the reason why crazy people are able to get weapons to kill innocent people. You refuse to accept any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons. If you're a criminal or mentally unstable I can see why you wouldn't want any background checks. Which that's the only reason I can see why you people are so afraid and against any reasonable and proper safety regulations on weapons.
i didn't have fuck shit to do with the title assholio - its from the story itself. go bitch at them.

also - right now i can sell my neighbor my ruger 10/22 and all good. if they pass this, i must take him to a pawn shop and pay $25 for a background check or i'm a criminal.

you really are totally void of facts and totally full of shit.

This is what happens when you use Breitbart as a source of information.
so you're saying the democrats are NOT doing this?

idiocy is what happens when you say stupid shit and people notice.

Your title is not true.

i didn't have fuck shit to do with the title assholio - its from the story itself. go bitch at them.

also - right now i can sell my neighbor my ruger 10/22 and all good. if they pass this, i must take him to a pawn shop and pay $25 for a background check or i'm a criminal.

I couldn't get past the lame excuse and vulgar language in your first sentence.

Do you kiss the people you love with that filthy mouth?

You are perfectly free to create the title of the thread. You didn't have to post the lie. I didn't click on your link because I don't go to far right wing propaganda sites that lie. So I don't know if that's the title of the article or not. Nor do I know what the article says.

I do know what our congress is doing. I actually pay attention to the honest truth of what our congress is doing. I don't rely on propaganda liars for my information.

You didn't have to use the title of the article in your title of the thread nor did you have to post the lie that congress is voting to make private weapon sales criminal.

It's nothing but a lie and you reposted it. Either you reposted it knowing it was a lie and wanted to just lie to people or you didn't know it was a lie and you're so very uninformed that you will buy lies when they're fed to you.
you didn't realize i didn't have anything to do with the title of this either yet on the warpath you go.

and apologies for my fucking language.

If people understand that something is illegal and has penalties...they generally don't do it.

They certainly won't be selling to strangers at gun shows without back ground checks
pretty sure mass killings with semi-automatic guns is illegal.

yet here we are dealing with something you say people won't do it illegal.

you just more or less said the only people who are going to follow this law are law abiding people OF WHICH you don't have to worry about anyway.

Your title is not true.

So what? Make your neighbor pay the $25 -- it will just be part of the price of owning a gun. Forgive me for not feeling terribly sorry for you.
We should start charging people to vote. You need to have a minimum, verifiable, background check that you understand the issues we face.

they're trying to get rid of ghost guns too. this is why the 2nd amendment was written. corrupt powergrabbers, like the demoncrats.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.” ― George Washington

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.” ― George Washington

“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” ― George Washington

The only people who take away free speech are people like you, who attack with words as do you, in the hope to censor those of us who want to see common sense gun legislation.

Background checks
Since the Parkland shooting, Trump has said he wants to strengthen background checks, at times appearing to support universal checks that would apply to private sales and gun show sales. His new school safety plan doesn’t advocate for such comprehensive background checks, but reiterates support for the bipartisan “Fix NICS” bill in Congress, which would, among other things, mandate that federal agencies and states upload all relevant information to the background check system. “Very strong improvement and strengthening of background checks will be fully backed by White House,” Trump tweeted Monday. “Legislation moving forward.”
Here's Where President Trump Stands on 5 Gun Control Ideas

Your title is not true.

How is the citizenry accessing NICS in your state?

You can read about how it's done at this link. Basically those who are already federal license gun sellers do the check.

During 2014, the State of Washington became the first state to create a law which required background checks on private firearms salesvia voter initiative. This law made it mandatory for private sellers and buyers to perform transactions for firearms via FFLs (firearms dealers who are federally licensed).

The federally-licensed firearm dealer, or FFL, is now required to process transactions as though dealers are selling firearms from their own inventories and therefore must adhere to the same state and federal laws which regulate the business practices of dealers of firearms. For example, FFLs will need to perform background checks on purchasers.

How to Transfer Private Gun Ownership in Washington State | Sporting Systems

All gun transfers ought to require a background check.
I just think that isn't the fix. The only people who are going to submit to a background check are those who would likely not commit a crime with a firearm.

The person intent on commiting gun crimes isn't going to do that.

I understand we need to fix the problem of gun crimes, but more laws only serve to restrict the law abiding citizen, and doesnt hinder the criminal.

The problem with going overboard with gun laws is that, in the end, the only people to be disarmed are the law abiding populace, rendering them defenseless against the criminal populace.

Why would sober, sane and law abiding citizens be disarmed?

you just more or less said the only people who are going to follow this law are law abiding people OF WHICH you don't have to worry about anyway.
More or less your ass.

This would almost entirely end "no background check gun show sales".

THAT has value.

You disagree?

More or less your ass.

THAT has value.

You disagree?

The Parkland shooter passed a background check, despite a background that should have stopped him from buying.

the Texas Church shooter passed a background check, despite a background that should have stopped him from buying..

The kid that shot up the Black church passed a background check,
despite a background that should have stopped him from buying.

the guy that shot up the gay nightclub passed a background check,
despite a background that should have stopped him from buying.

the guy that shot up Las Vegas passed numerous background checks.

until the background check system is revamped, universal background checks are useless.

More or less your ass.

THAT has value.

You disagree?
considering the people who have passed a background check to buy guns legally to shoot up clubs and so forth? yes. i disagree.

fix the problem and stop putting band aids on the air around you cause someone farted.

you also continue to show you are clueless as to what the problem is. ANY LICENSED FFL DEALER at a gun show MUST conduct a background check. if they are not a dealer and trying to sell a table full of guns without checks, it's already illegal.

stop talking in bullet points you don't understand.

Forum List

Back